Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing a classic from South Africa

Options
  • 14-04-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Has anyone on here imported from south Africa (Pretoria) Any shipping company? Duty and vrt? it is a ponton merc .Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Duty and VAT I would imagine but the VRT would be small. Lovely cars those Pontons

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Duty on (vehicle value + shipping + insurance), then VAT on (vehicle value + duty), then VRT afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Watch out for budged repairs, a lot of the italian stuff that's came over in the last few years has been rubbish dressed up with isopon and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trucksavage

Surely VAT would only be payable if it was a commercial?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Surely VAT would only be payable if it was a commercial?

Nope, VAT is to be paid on anything coming into the EU. And you don't just pay VAT on the invoice price, you pay it over the transport and insurance cost too. And there is import duty, VRT and NOx charges as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

unkel wrote: »
    Nope, VAT is to be paid on anything coming into the EU. And you don't just pay VAT on the invoice price, you pay it over the transport and insurance cost too. And there is import duty, VRT and NOx charges as well.
    Is there NOX tax on Classic ? Got screwed on a v40 i imported in jan still annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, not once it hits 30 years old. And only flat EUR200 rate VRT. Still have the VAT and import duty though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I imported a camper van from japan 11 years ago it wasn't a classic and things have probably changed.

I needed a customs clearance agent, less than 200.
    I paid 10% duty on the landed price, purchase + shipping.
    I paid 23% van to the landed price + the 10 % duty
    The customs gave me temporary plates
    I paid VRT 13% of their wild ass guess of 10K so 1300
    In you could budget half the landed price on taxes. I know the VRT is lower on a classic but the other cost would be similar.

Still have camper in a year it will be 30 and I'm looking at getting it welding and a respray for it's birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

11wingnut wrote: »
    Is there NOX tax on Classic ? Got screwed on a v40 i imported in jan still annoyed

V40 was diesel ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

galwaytt wrote: »
    V40 was diesel ?

YES ..But now a very expensive v40 beautiful car 1500 diesel (ford)auto leather ext.. i got 500 off vrt ..but nothing off nox

• Advertisement
Advertisement