Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children Of Men DVD Amnesty

• 01-04-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Upgrade your vanilla disc to the special edition for free.

As noted in this month's Empire magazine - May Issue of DVD REVIEW (on page 14):
    The film has been re-released as a 2-disc special edition featuring documentarys, deleted scenes etc.

Universal is offering you the chance to trade in your vanilla disc for the new special edition.

All you do is send your copy (no ex-rental or pirate copies) along with a self addressed jiffy bag stamped to the value of 70p to:

CHILDREN OF MEN DVD AMNESTY
    PO BOX 188
    WOODFORD GREEN
    ESSEX
    IG8 7RW

Offer valid until June 30th 2007
    Should do this more often!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

May I ask what a vanilla disc is? Is that just the standard 1-disc no-frills edition that came our first?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Creature wrote:
    May I ask what a vanilla disc is? Is that just the standard 1-disc no-frills edition that came our first?
    Yep.. exactly.

Vanilla means just the film on a disc with no extras. One that really gets me is advertising "Interactive Menu" as a special feature! Wow-eeeee! :eek:

basquille wrote:
    One that really gets me is advertising "Interactive Menu" as a special feature! Wow-eeeee! :eek:

Lol yeah that always made me laugh.

Anyway thanks for clearing that up. I might just give this a go. Any idea why they're doing this? It sounds a bit dodgy..

Edit. April Fools day just realised :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Creature wrote:
    Edit. April Fools day just realised :/

I'd laugh if someone actually did post off a DVD, only for them to find out no such offer exists, and they just lost themselves a DVD. :D

As much as i'd like to take credit for this, it IS actually in Empire this month.

And if it is indeed an April Fool's joke on their part, it's a bit underwhelming to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

would have been a great offer though

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Its in dvd review too, which is a competitor to empire's sister magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Heh, I'm hold onto my skepticism untill tomorrow, and see what happens.

Anyone here going to take avail of this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah just checked Empire and it's on page 31 - apparently Alfonso Cuarón found out the DVD had no exras and didn't like the cover when he saw it on sale in Woolworths, so he encouraged Universal to release this special edition.
    Good offer though, think I might send away for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

What's a jiffy bag? :p

That sounds like a good deal, if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Jello wrote:
    Yeah just checked Empire and it's on page 31 - apparently Alfonso Cuarón found out the DVD had no exras and didn't like the cover when he saw it on sale in Woolworths, so he encouraged Universal to release this special edition.
    Good offer though, think I might send away for it.
    Yeah. It really was a sh*te looking cover alright.
    1871204m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Alfonso Cuaron shops in Woolworths!!!??? I love it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

When DVD 1st came out Armageddon was on 2 discs (had to change disc during movie) whoever made it replaced those with a 1 disc version in the same way as above.

kdjac

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If it is true... how do we avail of it? If we send a S.A.E it will have an Irish stamp that won't be valid from the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Just thought I should point out that, although basquillte posted this on April Fool's Day, it comes from the May issue of Empire. So I'd doubt this is a prank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Also, a bit of Googling reveals that the PO Box is owned by "Capricorn Services", who have been used by Universal for some of their DVD offers.

One or two reports of it actually arriving here

Well it seems legit but I'm gonna opt to be the coward here and wait for someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

So....is it real?? I was really pissed when I walked into Virgin and saw the special ed, I bought the crappy 'vanilla' version when it came out what, only 2 months ago, if that? :mad:

And, as noted in Empire, the cover did make it look like a pirate dvd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anyone know how to send a S.A.E for Ireland if we send the DVDs to the UK then?

• Advertisement

• I was really annoyed when I saw the cover when it first came out. Such an amazing film, great poster design, and then they brought out a really shoddy looking cover!

Wow, only just the movie on the disc? I'm really glad I didn't buy it when it first came out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭lukin

Such an amazing film

You think so? I thought it was utter rubbish, and most people I spoke to said the same.

lukin wrote:
    You think so? I thought it was utter rubbish, and most people I spoke to said the same.
    I'll let Cox-sy take this one:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

basquille wrote:
    I'll let Cox-sy take this one:

haha classic and so true!:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

Is this offer still running ??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

s8n is on quite a necro-bumping spree!

The end times are surely upon us now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

:pac: Feels more like we are living inside the movie at the moment, not sure I could sit down and watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

s8n wrote: »
    Is this offer still running ??

Only one way to find out ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

Only one way to find out ...........

I'll wait until after lockdown and the postal delays

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement