Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pay leagues - Corona decisions

• 13-04-2020 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

So this was something we talked about today, a few of us running cash leagues.

IF - IF - the leagues don’t resume, what’s the fairest thing to do. A really good suggestion (IMO) was to pay out half as normal and donate balance to the nurse charity.

Just wondering what others are thinking ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So this was something we talked about today, a few of us running cash leagues.

IF - IF - the leagues don’t resume, what’s the fairest thing to do. A really good suggestion (IMO) was to pay out half as normal and donate balance to the nurse charity.

Just wondering what others are thinking ...

Not sure why ye would do the nurse charity thing to be completely honest.

I think a fair resolution would be 25% of entry fee sent back if possible and pay out accordingly then.

I don’t think it needs to be discussed because if they don’t resume I’m sure an agreement, by all, will be reached fairly swiftly.

What does ‘pay out half as normal’ mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

A void league means all players should get a refund. If you want to take it apoun yourself to makes donations to charity that's fair but some people entered alot of money and may be losing their job so imo refunds. Obviously monthly prizes will still be deducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Tandey

I reckon if the league is over money leagues should pay out as planned to 1st/2nd/3rd etc..
    It’s a bit of craic after all, a game that has taken 7 months to play already before the season halted.

The people in the money positions deserve to be there and deserve to take the money imo given how it would abruptly stop.

Would be harsh on them and leave a sour taste I’d imagine. Next season is another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I’d be of the opinion that you should pay out as well, easiest is to follow the Premier league on this to avoid fallout, if they award the prize then you should too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

The problem here is that the regular league and h2h leagues are completely different formats.

Imo, the FPL season is over three quarters the way through and past the point of no return. For that reason, in the couple of regular leagues I run I will be doing one of either (a) pay out winnings as the positions stand (b) take a percentage out of the 1st/2nd/3rd place positions and add a few more places to those being paid out. So instead of paying top 6 in a large size league you string it out to top 10 for example. This is the kind of format used in online poker where a tournament crashes and doesn't resume. The chip leader will receive more money depending on their chip size, how many players are left, how long the tournament has been running etc.

Imo, in a lot of leagues refunding full money to people is impractical. H2H leagues are a completely different headache then tbh. Don't know where to start with that setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,768 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’d be surprised if FPL didn’t decide on this themselves. People can’t be making their own calls on that sort of thing, if that is the case.

CSF wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if FPL didn’t decide on this themselves. People can’t be making their own calls on that sort of thing, if that is the case.

FPL don't support the notion of pay leagues do they? So they wouldn't recommend any way to settle pay leagues then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Surely just follow the FPL Prize payout?

If FPL pay out the prizes for standing then follow suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That's what I am going to do with the work league.

At the end of the season if they say A is 1st, B 2nd etc I will stick to it.

I am 4th and first loser and just few points behind, but they won it fair as far as I can see. And I am not the one to decide it. Things just went really wrong and not their fault.

Could be different if they only played a game or even 5. But 25 game weeks there is no doubt they deserved it.

• Advertisement

McBain11 wrote: »
    FPL don't support the notion of pay leagues do they? So they wouldn't recommend any way to settle pay leagues then.

Not at all. I said it few times in this forum that it's the users that made it money related and the fpl even if aware of that will never mention money. They are not regulated, and as much as we all consider it a skill game, they would not like to be associated with gambling and have no license to do so (I think, but they had this 5 pounds entry game before so not sure about it).

If the **** hits the fan and you can't see the standings on their website all money leagues organisers have to follow official standings on fpl website. If there will be no standings money would have to be refunded to all players and some will not take it easily.

I do believe that by hook or by crook the PL will resume at some point, so the FPL can run to a finish in the regular leagues in some shape or form if the FPL website software allows it.

So, this conversation could be completely irrelevant. If it's not though, I do not get how anyone would follow FPL guidelines about money league situations. They don't condone or have any interest in money leagues, so they are not adjudicating for that purpose.

Would people running pay leagues be happy to be refunding every person in their league, even though the FPL season is over 3 quarters completed? Seems an absolutely ludicrous situation if the majority were doing that imo, and also unfair.

Personally, I have no faith whatsoever in what the FPL organisers decide to do. The decision not to pause the leagues in March, and the lack of clarity around why they made that call was a complete farce. I wouldn't for one second follow what those FPL organisers say regards final standings in leagues if they pulled the plug at this point. I run a few money leagues and will payout in the fairest possible way (btw I'm not set to see any money back from my own leagues as things stand so have no vested interest in that regard).

I am 100% sure the standings will be available regardless if more games are played or not.

Payments will be made accordingly.

H2h will be a pain, but as they just keep getting 1 point each no one is benefitting there. Apart from few who decided its good time to make completely not reasonable transfers just in case.

There will be few smartarses who will try to use the situation to get a refund, especially in high entry leagues. Not that they have a reason, but have an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I am in a H2H league about 40 players. The plan was the top 8 after gw 35 go into a knockout quarter final onwards for the last 3 gws. The lad thats organised it said to me he thinks he will toss a coin to decide these matches if its not back up and running by gw 36. I suggested whoever is top at gw 35 should be the winner as surely that makes more sense then tossing a coin. The problem is Im top and he thinks Im only saying that because it suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tandey wrote: »
    I reckon if the league is over money leagues should pay out as planned to 1st/2nd/3rd etc..
    It’s a bit of craic after all, a game that has taken 7 months to play already before the season halted.

The people in the money positions deserve to be there and deserve to take the money imo given how it would abruptly stop.

Would be harsh on them and leave a sour taste I’d imagine. Next season is another year.

I still have my bench boost, free hit and second wild card left to play. Is it not harsh on me that someone is in a position now ahead of me that they probably wouldnt be after I had played those chips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Yea if they say the winner is the guy currently in 1st then I think the money leagues should pay out on current standings. If they say the season is void then I'll accept that too even though I'm winning a few leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Rikand wrote: »
    I still have my bench boost, free hit and second wild card left to play. Is it not harsh on me that someone is in a position now ahead of me that they probably wouldnt be after I had played those chips ?

I'm in the same boat but it's just bad luck. It's part of the game just like the Arsenal match getting postponed and Aubameyang triple captainers getting shafted. I'll accept the FPLs call on it whichever way it goes.

Advertisement