Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting Rugby Withdrawal: Observations from watching old matches

• 16-03-2020 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭

So after listening to "Off the Ball" yesterday where they did an analysis/review of France-Ireland 6N 2000, which was very entertaining I must say, I decided to have an oul gander myself of the game this afternoon.
    The YouTube withdrawals thread also helped to make me think I wasn't alone today wanting to do that! :)

Also, don't want to clog that thread up at all with match obs.

The full BBC coverage is here:
    https://youtu.be/Dsy-UmjDrhQ

505884.jpeg

505885.jpeg

505975.jpeg

The game in question was played on a Sunday, and I was working in Arnotts at the time and had to make do with scarpering up to the stock room to listen to coverage.

As such, my memory of the game is pretty much boiled down to O'Driscoll's tries and Humphreys kick really.

So it's pretty much a fresh watch for me.

Quick observations from the day:

- Malcolm O'Kelly was a monster. I completely forgot just how big he was. Big John looks tiny beside him!

- Scrums are a free for all. Our front row, despite its legendary status always look like they've never scrummaged before. Easterby constantly lost his bind, to such an extent that he may as well not have been there at all.

- the French still had one handed line-outs which look bizarre

- the jerseys were so much better

- the clarity of refereeing decisions is practically nonexistent. I genuinely felt I didn't know the rules anymore. Made me feel better as to why I was so confused at ruck time back in the day.

- Humphreys on for a Hickie injury and goes into full back with Girv moving to wing. 🀔 Terrifying!

And just as I write this:
    54min Paddy Johns on for Galwey. Andy Ward on for Kieron Dawson. Hickie now back on for Humphries.

Hickie really was special. He immediately broke through when he came back on. A move eventually setting up O'Driscoll's second.

I reckon tomorrow I'll tackle the RWC final from 1999

So what have you been watching? How did it match up with your memories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Paddy Johns' yellow card was comical. Calved it watching it:

505891.jpeg

Philly Matthews thought it was harsh.

I dunno about that...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hickie's tackle was like something from a computer game where your player has picked up a speed boosting icon or something!

CatFromHue wrote: »

Hickie's tackle was like something from a computer game where your player has picked up a speed boosting icon or something!

His injury break may have been the saving of us really when you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Humphreys kick was a big moment. For those with long memories may remember him missing one from an almost identical position the year before in Lansdowne that would have won us the game against France.

I'll never forget the 2000 Six Nations. It was then that I first started believing that we had a team that could compete for more than just a Wooden Spoon.

I was 19/20 at the time and remember the day after the win over Scotland buying about 4 newspapers to savour the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Classic French team. Pelous with some massive tackles, I'd forgotten Lievremont from his playing days. A far cry from being the coach. He was massive.

Mal O'Kelly was ahead of his time, beautiful soft hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

CatFromHue wrote: »

And super pace and positioning from the Ref :)

LINEUPS

506157.jpeg

506158.jpeg

And super pace and positioning from the Ref :)

Ha!

Makes up for the French try when he just stood in our way.

506160.JPG

Classic French team. Pelous with some massive tackles, I'd forgotten Lievremont from his playing days. A far cry from being the coach. He was massive.

Mal O'Kelly was ahead of his time, beautiful soft hands.

Pelous was phenomenal.

Same as yourself I forgot what a monster Lievremont was in the tackle.
    bilston wrote: »
    Humphreys kick was a big moment. For those with long memories may remember him missing one from an almost identical position the year before in Lansdowne that would have won us the game against France.

I'll never forget the 2000 Six Nations. It was then that I first started believing that we had a team that could compete for more than just a Wooden Spoon.

I was 19/20 at the time and remember the day after the win over Scotland buying about 4 newspapers to savour the win.

I was always positive about us despite how brutal we were. The naivety of the child really! I was 16 a few weeks after this game was played and honestly I felt confident. It wasn't based on anything, just blind stupid optimism. When I was 7/8/9 and watching games with my grandad I genuinely didn't know we were shít! :O Every year we would beat England... til we played them.

I had such notions of continuing this on, but since I originally posted it, myself and some lads have done a few joint-watches of games. It's great craic to be fair. And does help the rugby DTs.

So far we've had (a not so lengthy list):

- Ireland v England, 6N 2007 (Full BBC coverage)
    - Munster v Sale, Heineken Cup 2005/06, Pool 1, Matchday 6, (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/jan/23/rugbyunion.heinekencup2005063)

---

Today at 4pm is the turn, finally, of the RWC Final 1999. WOOHOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I had such notions of continuing this on, but since I originally posted it, myself and some lads have done a few joint-watches of games. It's great craic to be fair. And does help the rugby DTs.

So far we've had (a not so lengthy list):

- Ireland v England, 6N 2007 (Full BBC coverage)
    - Munster v Sale, Heineken Cup 2005/06, Pool 1, Matchday 6, (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/jan/23/rugbyunion.heinekencup2005063)

---

Today at 4pm is the turn, finally, of the RWC Final 1999. WOOHOO!

Enjoy. Wouldn’t rule France out after the performance they put in against NZ in the semi.

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    Enjoy. Wouldn’t rule France out after the performance they put in against NZ in the semi.

:D

Literally just finished watching that match, what a classic. Magne was a monster. Umage doing everything he could to **** up and give France the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Champions Cup official Twitter page is showing the Munster 'miracle match' Right now. If you're craving some rugby give it a watch.

Clegg wrote: »
    The Champions Cup official Twitter page is showing the Munster 'miracle match' Right now. If you're craving some rugby give it a watch.

It's on here. The lot of us just finished the 99 final when that started. :)

The more you think of what Munster achieved that day the more ridiculous you realise it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not clip of a match but the club scene podcast which covers AIL ran a quiz on zoom a few nights back and are now putting up questions round by round every day

Today is club grounds.

Been working my way through recent tours. Just finished the Aus one, getting into the SA one. Talk about a road not taken with some of that roster. Cracking games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

A really good game to watch is the Northern Division's comprehensive defeat of the 1979 All Blacks on their tour to England and Scotland. I had witnessed a couple of months earlier a Lancashire side with virtually the same pack demolish Ulster at Ravenhill. Many of this team would feature in England's GS a few months later. Fascinating fact is that 3 of most famous defeats of NZ teams in provincial games (rare to say the least) came from sides playing in red who were obviously fired up against their much vaunted opponents - Llanelli (1972); Munster (1978); Northern Division (1979).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLACRKq9ZuM

Still no idea how we lost the 2nd test vs SA. 16pts up with 20 mins to go. Criminal

• Advertisement

Saturday the EPCR showing 2011 v Northampton "as live" from 1715 with game at 1745. I'm very much looking forward to that.

That's this week's group therapy sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Still no idea how we lost the 2nd test vs SA. 16pts up with 20 mins to go. Criminal

The players were out on their feet for the last 20. I think it was a combination of playing at altitude and the fact that they had to play with 14 men a week a earlier for the majority of the game

The players were out on their feet for the last 20. I think it was a combination of playing at altitude and the fact that they had to play with 14 men a week a earlier for the majority of the game

Such a great series, last match was a cracker too.

This is definitely a classic. Especially for Leinster winning with 14 men after Eric Miller was sent off for kicking Anthony Foley in the balls.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1251462812142120960?s=19

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Watching the 2nd and 3rd tests from the Lions tour of 2009 on Sky Sports.

Was fortunate enough to be there back then - great memories watching again, the lads look very young too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That Lions '09 series was top quality. Easily the most intense of recent times. Gutted to lose that second test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Just finished watching the first 2 tests from 2009 Lions tour.

Fascinating to see how much the game has changed in just under 11 years when you compare it to say football.

Few observations:

No idea how Stephen Jones wasn’t replaced in the 1st test. He missed 2 very basic penalties at the start which Farrell, Bigger, Sexton would kick in their sleep. There was no attacking structure and he brought it into contact himself numerous times unnecessarily. Then the kick to touch at the end of the 1st test where he only gains about 10m when he should’ve got it very close to 5m out. He also misses a crucial kick to touch deep in the second half of the 2nd test when all the pressure had been relived and led to a Boks penalty to put them 1 point behind. Just goes to show the lack of trust they had in ROG. Maybe giving him some game time in 1st test leads to a different result in 2nd test?

Ugo Monye had a stinker in the 1st test. Had two try chances but carried in one hand both times and lost the ball. The second chance especially he should definitely finish. He also then blows a 2 on 1 overlap straight after his second chance when the game is in the balance by taking it into contact himself.

The lack of discipline. Phil Vickery flew into a ruck so far in from the side he was more on the Boks side.

The amount of aimless up and unders with no chase bar the kicker.

The lack of box kicks off 9. Phillips passing to Jones under huge pressure is a common theme.

The communication between the ref, captain and TMO is pretty much non-existent. I think the TMO was only used for tries but POC never went near the ref throughout the games to get him to look at certain things (at least on the video I saw).

The amount of high shots/contact with the head that would be yellows/penalties even reds nowadays, yet provoked pretty much no reaction from the crowd, let alone the players. Was actually quite nice to see.

The Burger eye gouge is still baffling to this day how he only received a yellow despite the linesman seeing it and saying contact with the eye.

With the amount of numbers being committed to rucks its surprising that that wasn’t taken advantage of out-wide.

Shaun Edwards, the defensive genius, wasn’t exactly starring in this tour with 2 Boks tries coming off first phase ball which is very rarely seen these days at top level.

Rob Kearney was excellent in the 2nd test. Potentially opening a can of worms, did he light up a game like that for Ireland or Leinster?

BOD was class in first two tests, as was Jamie Roberts, but I felt BOD had more of a more all round contribution.

You're dead right about BOD. I've no idea how he wasn't named Lions player of the series. Roberts was excellent, but he was so good because BOD was attracting so many SA defenders and then releasing the ball to him at the right time. It wasn't just to Roberts either. Tom Croft's try in the first test wouldn't be scored without BOD. He got the ball 5m from the try line and the South Africans shat themselves. He attracted three defenders to him and calmly passed the ball to Croft who ran under the posts unopposed.

I'm sure we're all biased towards him given that we're Irish, or at least posting on an Irish forum. But that's the way I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rob Kearney was excellent in the 2nd test. Potentially opening a can of worms, did he light up a game like that for Ireland or Leinster?

Yup. People forget just how good Kearney was as a broken field runner in his first 2-3 years. After that, he beefed up and became a superb strike runner peaking in the 2012 season.

In 2008 during the end of season tour, the NZ and Australia press were singing his praises as he repeatedly broke the gain line and beat the first line of tackles running the ball from deep.

Advertisement