Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Random question but would the merit list have to be exhausted from the previous campaigns before any one for the 2020 campaign could start?

Nope.

1710 and 1810 candidates started GV at the same time once 1810 list was ready for appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    Nope.

1710 and 1810 candidates started GV at the same time once 1810 list was ready for appointment

I think they mixed the end of 1710 with the fast trackers from 1810 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Thanks guys! I know it’s a painfully slow process and especially at the moment as it is strange times we are living in. Hopefully we find out about assessment centres very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

Any idea on how many officers the PSNI are looking to recruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

JC12250 wrote: »
    Any idea on how many officers the PSNI are looking to recruit?

No idea on how many they are looking to recruit but for the last 2 campaigns 1052 people were put on the merit list, of that roughly 40% failed/withdrew and the rest were appointed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CoAntrim24

Hey folks, new to this page and site. I have read through the feed and it has provided some good information to date... I have a question related to the one posted above.

So there are still a number of people waiting to start training from the last couple of recruitment processes. Does this mean that they get first preference over those who have applied this time round? I hope this makes sense, it is my first time applying and there are certain things I'm not sure of.

Thanks

CoAntrim24 wrote: »
    Hey folks, new to this page and site. I have read through the feed and it has provided some good information to date... I have a question related to the one posted above.

So there are still a number of people waiting to start training from the last couple of recruitment processes. Does this mean that they get first preference over those who have applied this time round? I hope this makes sense, it is my first time applying and there are certain things I'm not sure of.

Thanks

By the time that people from the 2002 campaign are appointable most of the ones from previous campaigns will have already started GV. From what I understand everyone that is appointable from 1810 will be given the call but they can defer and could then start later than ones from 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

NornIron74 wrote: »
    No idea on how many they are looking to recruit but for the last 2 campaigns 1052 people were put on the merit list, of that roughly 40% failed/withdrew and the rest were appointed.

Wow the last two campaigns pulled in roughly 600 people then. Average 300 a campaign. Out of interest how would you fail at merit pool?

Belfast86 wrote: »
    Wow the last two campaigns pulled in roughly 600 people then. Average 300 a campaign. Out of interest how would you fail at merit pool?

Sorry I should have clarified that 1052 were placed on the merit list for both campaigns, so 1052 for 1710 and 1053 for 1810.
    Over 600 got a call in 1710 with 350 currently getting one in 1810 with another 300 still in the process. You could fail at any of the different parts after AC (PCA, vetting, medical, SMT, online learning) and then you have people who withdraw.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any idea of the numbers that will be remaining now? Roughly also, how many do you anticipate will get through the Assessment Centre?

Does anyone have any idea of the numbers that will be remaining now? Roughly also, how many do you anticipate will get through the Assessment Centre?

2433 were invited to the AC in the 1810 campaign but only 1550 attended. Of that 1053 passed and were placed on the merit list.

Thanks mate, appreciate the information!! Will be sure to ask more in future no doubt. In the meantime, Happy Easter folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cat8609

First time here, just joined . . Haven't applied since since 2005/6. . Wasn't sure about the IST but got 35 and passed . . Looks like it could be a long wait to AC

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

cat8609 wrote: »
    First time here, just joined . . Haven't applied since since 2005/6. . Wasn't sure about the IST but got 35 and passed . . Looks like it could be a long wait to AC

Reading on here quite a few hit 35. I didn’t post my score earlier but I also got 35.

Good luck in the next selection

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Andimaul

First time poster here. Managed to get 33 in the IST. First time applying. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of when the AC will take place? They were originally supposed to begin 20th April.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think anyone will be able to give a specific answer mate, its difficult to tell with the way Covid-19 is developing and the lock-down measures.

Well done on the result too! Congratulations.

Andimaul wrote: »
    First time poster here. Managed to get 33 in the IST. First time applying. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of when the AC will take place? They were originally supposed to begin 20th April.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in 1810 and we have been told PCAs and medicals are being put on hold to June so can't see AC happening before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Just wondering if anybody could help. Trying to prepare for the AC, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare? Certain stuff I should read or concentrate on? Thansk

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody could help. Trying to prepare for the AC, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare? Certain stuff I should read or concentrate on? Thansk

I think have a look on the College of Policing (UK) website and have a read of the main frameworks they use. Then I guess try to learn how they could be applied to various situations.

• Advertisement

Literally it's just talking to people, in a structured way. Hard with covid but best practice is just get used to talking to strangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Treddy

Yukuza2008 wrote: »

Be sure to read the applicant guidance carefully, and study the core competencies. Do not over prepare. There are plenty of books out there which will claim they will get you an pass in Police assessment, but every constabulary in the UK is different, PSNI especially. In the assessment center they're looking for who you really are, and they'll see right through an over-prepared candidate. They're not looking for a ready made constable, they're looking for potential for them to make you into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

From the Initial IST to starting your first day in GV it took Approx 15 months in the 1810 intake .. that was approx top 1/3 of ML bracket

Newbieee wrote: »
    From the Initial IST to starting your first day in GV it took Approx 15 months in the 1810 intake .. that was approx top 1/3 of ML bracket

It took me almost exactly 12 months from application to starting...

It all depends on how well you do at AC.

I'm currently on month 18 from application, just waiting on start date. I'm near the bottom of the 1810 ML.

I'm currently on month 18 from application, just waiting on start date. I'm near the bottom of the 1810 ML.

So does that mean they have guaranteed you a place? Or how does it work?

Say for example you are on the merit list, do you find out where on the list you are? Also, will you be given preference over those that have applied in the 2020 recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

Mind if I ask what merit range you are? I'm 850 - 870. Currently waiting on a rescheduled medical date due to Covid-19 and vetting. Can't wait until this is all over haha. Its a bit tough wait so far.

So does that mean they have guaranteed you a place? Or how does it work?

Say for example you are on the merit list, do you find out where on the list you are? Also, will you be given preference over those that have applied in the 2020 recruitment?

No not guaranteed but it is very very likely that you will get a place. Yes you get an email about a week or 2 after AC results giving you your number on the merit list with the total amount of people on the ML. I'd say it is likely that those appointable in 1810 will get a start call before anyone in 2002 but the 1810 ones could defer and then start after ones from 2002.

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    Mind if I ask what merit range you are? I'm 850 - 870. Currently waiting on a rescheduled medical date due to Covid-19 and vetting. Can't wait until this is all over haha. Its a bit tough wait so far.

I'm 880-900, I was fortunate that my medical was at the start of March so I was appointable just before the whole covid 19 thing kicked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

Cheers mate. I'm a bit jealous of you haha. My medical was for the 24th March and was cancelled when I was like 10 mins from the venue :(. I hope I'm not waiting much longer for a new date (staying optimistic lol).

Advertisement