Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stirling Moss 1929 - 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭riggerman

Sir Stirling Moss: Motor racing legend dies aged 90 after long illness
    Source bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

He was massively unlucky never to win a title despite enormous talent and in an era when driver mortality was very poor. A brave man and a gentleman. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's a sad inside passing.

For a generation of coppers the standard comment to a pulled over speeding motorist was "do you think you're Sterling Moss?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Stirling Moss RIP

A gentleman racer from a very different era.
    Possibly the greatest driver not to be a World Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Stirling Moss famously won am international gold cup race at Oulton park driving what he would later name his favourite car - the 4 wheel drive Ferguson P99 - and yes Ferguson as in the Tractor company !.

Stirling was a gentleman racer who in a different era would have been world champion.

Stirling Moss RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen it there on RTE.

Sir Stirling Moss RIP.

He was a true gentleman.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I saw him being interviewed at the NEC classic car show a few years back. He turned up to be interviewed by Mike Brewer, just got himself up on the stage and sat down 10 minutes early. Nobody there. They then appeared from behind the curtain to usher him 'backstage'. He would need to be introduced with a bit of build up when he was going to be interviewed. Whooo
    He then proceeded to talk about driving Merc SLRs through tiny Italian villages at 150 mph on the Mille Miglia. Whooosh

Also saw him race on the streets of Dundalk back in 1989.

That generation just had no nonsense about them. We will miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He was still racing up the age of 81 in historic cars so only stopped racing 9 years ago.

He also fell down the lift shaft at his house in Mayfare as he had presumed the lift was there was talking to someone and then went to step into it and fell down the shaft. He recovered in a few months do.

A true legend and gentleman.

RIP Sir Stirling Moss

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

A true gent but he seemed to have a wonderfully playful personality about him. I got the impression everything he did was to impress the ladies - seemed to have a bit of a ww2 fighter pilot attitude about him - go out and give it socks, and if I make it back alive I'll have some great stories to charm the nickers of the 'birds' with !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Icon and seemed like a real gent as well. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fair play to the BBC who made this available to Mercedes-Benz and the F1 Facebook page.
    Lewis and Sterling around the Monza banking.
    https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1249304431272833025?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean is legend even a term that covers sterling moss ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RIP, a true gent, an awesome driver and a man of many great stories.

That's a sad inside passing.

For a generation of coppers the standard comment to a pulled over speeding motorist was "do you think you're Sterling Moss?"

I remember my aunt who died not so long ago telling me about 23 years ago that I was like Stirling Moss on the Go-Karts in Mosney. I think she was surprised when a 9 year old knew who he was. :P

Advertisement