Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A teenage A3's training log

Options
  • 05-01-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Creating this training log purely for some extra encouragement and motivation something which I lack greatly.
    So currently 18 years of age, roughly 60kg and will be starting my first year as senior (well u23 i guess) a3 this year.

Previous training/racing
    Started cycling in 2014 when i was about 13, no real consistent training till 2016, done a few u16 races in 2017, pretty sure I was dropped in them all was nowhere near fit enough, done some actual proper training into 2018 and raced as a jr in A4, took about half the season but could eventually survive in an A4 race, 2019 I was A3 Jr but got fk all training done due to the leaving cert and being fairly unmotivated in general wasn't until July when I got some proper cycling done, done 1 or 2 races but no luck and was dropped as didn't have the legs, done a few sportives and that was it, started college in September so from then to the Christmas break training hasn't been very consistent done a bit of running to make up for the lack of cycling. Over the winter break training has been pretty solid, 2 9 hour plus weeks and some lower hour weeks.

Have been training by heart rate the last year or 2 but kinda realising how much it can fluctuate from day to day so have just been going by feel the last good while. I have bought a power meter over the Christmas which should arrive this week so will have power to train by from now on.

2020 Goals
    * Place in some A3 races maybe a win but ill be realistic, will target some
    specific races still to be decided.
    * 10,000 km for the year or 350 plus hours
    * Complete a double century ride
    * Increase FTP, don't know what it is yet but i want an increase
    * Improved lifestyle like less going out, better diet, improve sleeping pattern,
    anythings an improvement.

Currently planing the year a bit, picking races id most likely be doing and reading into training and different sessions. Ideally id like to get a coach but currently cash would not allow that. Personally i know my biggest problem is consistency and discipline, some weeks i can get 10 plus hours training in, up early every day,solid days training in home by 1 or 2. Others i struggle out of bed at 12 and 1 and waste the day. If i can over come that problem hopefully the rest should come a bit easier.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Have been training by heart rate the last year or 2 but kinda realising how much it can fluctuate from day to day so have just been going by feel the last good while. I have bought a power meter over the Christmas which should arrive this week so will have power to train by from now on.

2020 Goals
    * Increase FTP, don't know what it is yet but i want an increase
    What college are you in, several will get you access to a gym or similar so you can get those numbers if you want to check every now and again for changes.
    Also well worth seeing if the college has a cycling club, training and sticking to a plan is easier in my opinion if you have others around for encouragement
    Currently planing the year a bit, picking races id most likely be doing and reading into training and different sessions. Ideally id like to get a coach but currently cash would not allow that. Personally i know my biggest problem is consistency and discipline, some weeks i can get 10 plus hours training in, up early every day,solid days training in home by 1 or 2. Others i struggle out of bed at 12 and 1 and waste the day. If i can over come that problem hopefully the rest should come a bit easier.
    This is always the hardest bit, a coach is not essential, it is nice but alot of training to getting you into decent form is common sense. If your college has no club, check if there is a local club league. They often run on Thursday evenings, great way to pick up training and get you race ready in short order as well as receive pointers from others (no promises said pointers would be helpful).

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

CramCycle wrote: »

2020 Goals
    What college are you in, several will get you access to a gym or similar so you can get those numbers if you want to check every now and again for changes.
    Also well worth seeing if the college has a cycling club, training and sticking to a plan is easier in my opinion if you have others around for encouragement

This is always the hardest bit, a coach is not essential, it is nice but alot of training to getting you into decent form is common sense. If your college has no club, check if there is a local club league. They often run on Thursday evenings, great way to pick up training and get you race ready in short order as well as receive pointers from others (no promises said pointers would be helpful).

In college in nuig and even though it's a fairly big college there is no cycling club there was at some stage but dwindling numbers put an end to it I'd say. Power meter arrived today and done an FTP test so no problem with that.

Was ment to look into Galway bay cycling club could probably tag along with them on spins, I'll have to get onto them. Not sure of a club league in Galway but I'll def be doing the one back home which usually doesn't start till mid April or may.

Drop them a mail, they used to run a league so may still do but only talk about it in a private group. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'm almost certain there's a local club league, in fact I reckon i know a few who do it. If you haven't already figured it out let me know if you want me to check with them? I train with some of them every few weeks when I'm west.

So I've pretty much forgotten about this, should be updated more from now on.

So since the Christmas break training been pretty atrocious, few weeks of only getting out for an hour or 2 at the weekend and maybe a run during the week. Last month or so has been better, avg of about 3 - 4 hrs on the bike per week, nothing much to improve fitness but atleast hold it.

Since college is finished pretty much for the year I'll have more time to get the hours in. First race in navan weekend before last didn't go well, dropped after 15mins after some consistent enough high pace but in fairness had nowhere near enough training. Due to all races being cancelled for the foreseeable future should give me time to try and get up to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Hard to see any racing until mid or end of the summer. I suppose you could look at this phase as vase training again. Very hard to see too many continuing to train as uncertain of any racing. One thing that works no matter what is consistency consistency consistency. quote="mhiggy09;112889534"]So I've pretty much forgotten about this, should be updated more from now on.

So since the Christmas break training been pretty atrocious, few weeks of only getting out for an hour or 2 at the weekend and maybe a run during the week. Last month or so has been better, avg of about 3 - 4 hrs on the bike per week, nothing much to improve fitness but atleast hold it.

Since college is finished pretty much for the year I'll have more time to get the hours in. First race in navan weekend before last didn't go well, dropped after 15mins after some consistent enough high pace but in fairness had nowhere near enough training. Due to all races being cancelled for the foreseeable future should give me time to try and get up to scratch.[/quote]

I sadly don't see any races happening this side of the CX season start. If everything went well, like a miracle, restrictions might lift a bit in 3 months but even then, it will be gradual.

Deciding whether to target Strava segments on solo spins or.jnvest in online racing (which is a huge set up cost).

Hope the head remains clear for you and you can pick something to focus on, I find having a specific focus to be hugely beneficial, my own training is gone to hell since the races were cancelled.

Ye, going to look at this as a base phase. Won't be focused on any thing till we see what long term cancellations are like just going to build fitness and form and increase intensity so if racing does return I'll be ready and as someone who likes targeting Strava segments I'll probably continue doing that to keep interest. If worse case scenario does happen I'll make some new goals and plans, probably some long distance stuff and maybe some crazy stuff, Everesting is something I'd love to build up to do at some stage.

So first week training during quarantine was grand there was no limitations to outdoor rides got a solid 10hr week in with some good endurance stuff.

Week 2 the 2km rule came in and I migrated to zwift which was fine, was something new I never used so kept me interested, tried a race which was pretty much balls out for half an hour which was pretty nuts and ended up with a new ftp.

This week hasn't been great, starting to loose motivation to do any training. Tried another race but the body was in no state and after the fast start I called it quits after 10mins and spun easy for an hour. I went for a run one day and strength work another. Very short cycle with some hill reps. And a 1.5hr spin today with some more hill reps. Hopefully get out tomorrow and not make it a waste of a week, the weather is the only thing motivating me lately.

Last few weeks been spending a good bit of time on zwift races kinda getting into it and learning what to do and what not to. They are quite good threshold workouts and being nice and short are good for when you don't wanna spend too long on the bike.

13-19
    One 4x20sec sprint session.
    Tried doing a long spin outdoors in the local area, got 100k done but was terribly boring so didn't do that again since.
    Done the CI race which was good fun, managed a new ftp.
    Day after I was on zwift again but for an easy hr or 2 originally, seen other people were doing these 12hr zwift rides and wondered if I could do the same, so spent 10 hrs on zwift.... Max I've done outdoor before was near 7hrs so quite a jump. Always wanted to give a long cycle ago but always talked myself out of it so just decided I give it a go with no thought. Legs held up pretty well but I got bored and my arse was getting well tender so called it a day.
    Week total: 17hrs for the week which is the most I've ever done.

20-26
    3 races, the last being Sunday, thought I had a massive FTP jump of like 35 watts but soon realised it was most likely a power meter mis calibration after doing intervals with the new ftp setting a few days after. Probably going to do a FTP test or threat race as one today to check FTP.
    Also 2 easy outside spins of about an hr each.
    Week total: 5hrs

Currently looking into more structured training and keeping my weekly TSS more consistent, going to try and plan my weeks training in advance. Probably going to try 2 maybe 3 high intensity interval sessions a week and fill whatever other training I want to do in as sweetsop or endurance stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Last few weeks been spending a good bit of time on zwift races kinda getting into it and learning what to do and what not to. They are quite good threshold workouts and being nice and short are good for when you don't wanna spend too long on the bike.

13-19
    One 4x20sec sprint session.
    Tried doing a long spin outdoors in the local area, got 100k done but was terribly boring so didn't do that again since.
    Done the CI race which was good fun, managed a new ftp.
    Day after I was on zwift again but for an easy hr or 2 originally, seen other people were doing these 12hr zwift rides and wondered if I could do the same, so spent 10 hrs on zwift.... Max I've done outdoor before was near 7hrs so quite a jump. Always wanted to give a long cycle ago but always talked myself out of it so just decided I give it a go with no thought. Legs held up pretty well but I got bored and my arse was getting well tender so called it a day.
    Week total: 17hrs for the week which is the most I've ever done.

20-26
    3 races, the last being Sunday, thought I had a massive FTP jump of like 35 watts but soon realised it was most likely a power meter mis calibration after doing intervals with the new ftp setting a few days after. Probably going to do a FTP test or threat race as one today to check FTP.
    Also 2 easy outside spins of about an hr each.
    Week total: 5hrs

Currently looking into more structured training and keeping my weekly TSS more consistent, going to try and plan my weeks training in advance. Probably going to try 2 maybe 3 high intensity interval sessions a week and fill whatever other training I want to do in as sweetsop or endurance stuff.

I'd be careful aiming for a TSS figure unless you have a coach or a structured programme and you know what you're doing. A VO2 max session and an hour at sweetspot might have the same TSS but one will leave you in a bigger hole than the other.

Similarly, if you're throwing in a bunch of zwift races, your TSS could be quite low for the week as these are generally short sharp efforts, sub 1 hour but your legs and body will require a bit more recovery than if you had instead completed the same TSS at sweetspot.

TSS is good to keep track of, don't get me wrong, but it isn't the whole picture. IF and VI are also an important metric to consider when looking at any given workout.

Just be careful, especially at the moment, not to overdo it. It's great to have all these metrics but at the end of the day you need to listen to your body. If it needs rest, then rest. Don't be chasing TSS figures and doing yourself damage.

Advertisement