Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

it shocks me that somepeople like yourself are away with the fairies.

i dont think buying in beer is going to help anyone. why dont you donate what you were going to spend on beer to naas hospital. it sound like they are going to need it.

I've already donated to the feed the heroes, wife is a nurse, two small kids at home, just trying to do what little i can. get off your fukin high horse.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/feed-the-heroes

https://twitter.com/CoKildare/status/1239906216920391681

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Coffee Beans House in St. David's will continue to supply beans by post. See the facebook page. One way of trying to keep going during this time.
    FB page @coffeebeanshouse or online shop www.coffeebeanshouse.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Im not .
    I'm saying is buying vouchers for closed restaurants is extremely silly.
    You won't get any thanks .

Would the restaurant owners not thank him?

Why would you think they wouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭jasonb

Anyone recommend a Washing Machine Repair person in Naas? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Tracking open and closed business during the crisis:

https://www.status-naas.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 1sttimebuyer20

Hi Folks

Potentially about to buy a house in the monread area ( am I mad with the current covid situation?)

I’ve been targeting the monread area since my first viewing in October of last year as I immediately fell in love with the place.

Anyway, just wanted to check to see does anyone know of any pyrite issues in any of the estates around monread? Or perhaps even anyone had a test done and got positive news?

Thanks a mill in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi Folks

Potentially about to buy a house in the monread area ( am I mad with the current covid situation?)

I’ve been targeting the monread area since my first viewing in October of last year as I immediately fell in love with the place.

Anyway, just wanted to check to see does anyone know of any pyrite issues in any of the estates around monread? Or perhaps even anyone had a test done and got positive news?

Thanks a mill in advance

Could be wrong on this, but i believe the pyrite issues occurred in the 2000's during the housing boom. I'm pretty sure most of the houses in the Monread area were all built pre 2000.

Open to correction on that, but haven't hear many issues of that in Naas.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Aye, I'd say paddy is on the ball there. Too old for pyrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi Folks

Thanks a mill in advance

is your query for buying in relation to buying because of the medical situation or the economic situation?

in my opinion, the housing market is at its top. Typically when you see a stock market crash, the housing market usually follows 6-12 months later.

We just dont know yet how the current economic situation will impact real estate prices, its a bit early

If you have mortgage approval and both working and there is no risk of either losing your job, then you should have no issue getting approval again, if you think one could lose a job and it could effect you getting approval, then its something to consider

In terms of the pyrite and dates for the houses in Monread, we moved into Gleann na Riogh in 1996 and Monread was completed by then so its pre 95 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

beertons wrote: »
    Aye, I'd say paddy is on the ball there. Too old for pyrite.

But surely if the same quarries were being used prior to the boom then pyrite could still be an issue?

OP if in doubt I'd recommend a structural survey to be carried out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I know of one house in Morrell that had subsidence issues

Monread is hit & miss with location though, anywhere near the shops/chipper I'd steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

But surely if the same quarries were being used prior to the boom then pyrite could still be an issue?

OP if in doubt I'd recommend a structural survey to be carried out.

Pyrite occurred mainly in north leinster and north dublin (but also some in Offaly) . If its a house within a large estate in Naas then it would be more common knowledge, as opposed to an individual house

Could be wrong on this, but i believe the pyrite issues occurred in the 2000's during the housing boom. I'm pretty sure most of the houses in the Monread area were all built pre 2000.

Open to correction on that, but haven't hear many issues of that in Naas.

Yep, have read a lot online similar to the above however always worth seeking out local knowledge, there was an extensive report done at one stage however they were not overly specific in detail on locations

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    is your query for buying in relation to buying because of the medical situation or the economic situation?

in my opinion, the housing market is at its top. Typically when you see a stock market crash, the housing market usually follows 6-12 months later.

We just dont know yet how the current economic situation will impact real estate prices, its a bit early

If you have mortgage approval and both working and there is no risk of either losing your job, then you should have no issue getting approval again, if you think one could lose a job and it could effect you getting approval, then its something to consider

In terms of the pyrite and dates for the houses in Monread, we moved into Gleann na Riogh in 1996 and Monread was completed by then so its pre 95 at least

This particular query can be taken at face value.

My worries of the impact on covid-19 are also in play however regardless of whether I go ahead with the house I am current sale agreed on or not, I will still 100% be targeting the Monread area. For me, the access to the town, N7 and relatively short walk to the train station are all key factors, along with a harder to explain factor of just having that gut feeling from the moment I discovered the area.

This particular query can be taken at face value.

My worries of the impact on covid-19 are also in play however regardless of whether I go ahead with the house I am current sale agreed on or not, I will still 100% be targeting the Monread area. For me, the access to the town, N7 and relatively short walk to the train station are all key factors, along with a harder to explain factor of just having that gut feeling from the moment I discovered the area.

There are some nice houses in Monread area, any particular street you are looking at and maybe I can give a bit more info for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Hi, we bought in Naas last year and we have been very happy so far. There are apartments across the way from our house and recently with the warmer weather there is a clothes horse being left outside the front of one of the apartments for clothes to dry. We aren’t too happy with it because it takes away from the appearance of the estate. Is there anything that can be done in this situation? Is it their own choice and there’s nothing we can do? I just wanted to know if we have a leg to stand on if I was to say something. When we were out walking yesterday we saw the same in another estate but they were less visible.

As far as I know the county council took over be running of our estate some years back. They claim that they are only responsible for roads and lighting so I’m not sure if there’s anything I can do? I’m also not sure if the apartments are rented or privately owned, possibly a mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭you2008

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Hi, we bought in Naas last year and we have been very happy so far. There are apartments across the way from our house and recently with the warmer weather there is a clothes horse being left outside the front of one of the apartments for clothes to dry. We aren’t too happy with it because it takes away from the appearance of the estate. Is there anything that can be done in this situation? Is it their own choice and there’s nothing we can do? I just wanted to know if we have a leg to stand on if I was to say something. When we were out walking yesterday we saw the same in another estate but they were less visible.

As far as I know the county council took over be running of our estate some years back. They claim that they are only responsible for roads and lighting so I’m not sure if there’s anything I can do? I’m also not sure if the apartments are rented or privately owned, possibly a mix.

I totally undersand where are you come from, but try not be so selfish and thinking what happed if you are in those Apt and never get a chance to dry your cloths under the sun? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Are you taking the piss? Especially with what is going on at the moment and this is what you are worried about?

you2008 wrote: »
    I totally undersand where are you come from, but try not be so selfish and thinking what happed if you are in those Apt and never get a chance to dry your cloths under the sun? :P

Thanks for the reply, I completely appreciate that that is the other point of view on this. I would have thought that this is just the way it is with living in an apartment as I have myself done before. There is actually room out the back of the apartments too and I’d have no problem with them being out there, it’s them being out the front in full view is my issue. Also from a purely selfish point of view, if we were to sell at some stage, this would make it harder to do in my opinion.

yermandan wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss? Especially with what is going on at the moment and this is what you are worried about?

No not taking the piss. Yes these are challenging times and I’m worried as everyone is but that doesn’t mean we are not allowed to talk about anything else. In fact I’m sick of talking and reading about Coronavirus. It is the most important thing in life at the moment and these things are all relative but we are still able to discuss the smaller things. If that’s ok with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I was looking at the list of restaurants which are still open for collection/delivery of food ( https://www.status-naas.com/ ). The problem is that most of them are linked to websites that have not been updated. Really, what's the point?Look at The Brown Bear, Vie de Chateau, and The Monread Lodge.

I was looking at the list of restaurants which are still open for collection/delivery of food ( https://www.status-naas.com/ ). The problem is that most of them are linked to websites that have not been updated. Really, what's the point?Look at The Brown Bear, Vie de Chateau, and The Monread Lodge.

As far as I know the Brown Bear is only open Thursday to Sunday and you have to order well in advance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

No not taking the piss. Yes these are challenging times and I’m worried as everyone is but that doesn’t mean we are not allowed to talk about anything else. In fact I’m sick of talking and reading about Coronavirus. It is the most important thing in life at the moment and these things are all relative but we are still able to discuss the smaller things. If that’s ok with you?

I’m still not convinced this isn’t a wind-up, if it’s not then you’re just a busybody *rsehole and I give thanks that I don’t have neighbors like you.

I don't get the issue with the clothes horse on someone's property, are clothes lines allowed?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

you could see if there is a management company in place at the apts and what the rules are associated with the clothes horse

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I’m still not convinced this isn’t a wind-up, if it’s not then you’re just a busybody *rsehole and I give thanks that I don’t have neighbors like you.

No it’s not. I happen to care about the appearance of my estate seeing as we saved our asses off for years to buy a place. I have also had to pick up a good bit of litter there as it doesn’t seem to bother them.
    As I said I’ve no problem with clothes out the back, the same as everyone else does, why would I? But there’s a reason people put their clothes line out the back. If everyone put their clothes line/horse out the front, places would look crap in my opinion. If you disagree, that’s perfectly fine, that’s your opinion. The fact that you had to reduce to name calling while doing so makes me glad you’re not my neighbour either.
    I’ll say no more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

No it’s not. I happen to care about the appearance of my estate seeing as we saved our asses off for years to buy a place. I have also had to pick up a good bit of litter there as it doesn’t seem to bother them.
    As I said I’ve no problem with clothes out the back, the same as everyone else does, why would I? But there’s a reason people put their clothes line out the back. If everyone put their clothes line/horse out the front, places would look crap in my opinion. If you disagree, that’s perfectly fine, that’s your opinion. The fact that you had to reduce to name calling while doing so makes me glad you’re not my neighbour either.
    I’ll say no more about it.

I lived in an apartment in Kill for a few years and one of the rules was that you didn’t hang your washing outside whether on the balcony upstairs or outside your apartment if you were downstairs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Are the banks open today?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pale rider

beertons wrote: »
    Are the banks open today?

Banks are closed today.

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the motor tax office will be open again?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement