Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things could be a lot worse...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Great idea. Allow people to go jogging and walking on golf courses. What could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Like, it is a lovely idea, but there'd be no way to police it to stop people walking on greens or into the bunkers. Not to mention the people who decide to take a dip in the water hazards.... and then what happens if some one drowns

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Just open the golf courses for members only until the lockdown is lifted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Down9194 wrote: »
    Just open the golf courses for members only until the lockdown is lifted

Yeah sounds good, pretty sure immunity is included in your subs for 2020 so I see no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭willabur

Its happening here also. A mate of mine in Wicklow sent photos of himself going for a walk with the dog and family on the local course. Plenty of other folk on the course also

• Advertisement

If the Club is member owned ie you a shareholder and within your 2km radius surely then you are technically on your own property, so hard to stop you from going for a walk on it. If that’s the case what’s the problem with playing golf on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

If the Club is member owned ie you a shareholder and within your 2km radius surely then you are technically on your own property, so hard to stop you from going for a walk on it. If that’s the case what’s the problem with playing golf on it

Some people really do need to be saved from themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

This logic is beyond stupid. You could apply that to any non-essential business, again completely missing the sentiment of the measures.

By your "logic", effectively if you're one of a number of shareholders of a pub for example with a large beer garden it should be fine to congregate in the beer garden at a safe distance apart in a BYOB scenario?

Its the same as going for a drink within 2km of your own house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

all in favour of proshop and club house being closed, but I dont see why people cant play golf on their own, or with people they live with.

Golf by its nature does not involve a lot of proximity with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

celtic_oz wrote: »
    all in favour of proshop and club house being closed, but I dont see why people cant play golf on their own, or with people they live with.

It's the people who'll not listen to those rules will cause the problem.

• Advertisement

100% agree. While I understand the need to stay at home golf can have so many benefits exercise, fresh air, mental well-being etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

100% agree. While I understand the need to stay at home golf can have so many benefits exercise, fresh air, mental well-being etc.

Forgive me, but I'm not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

I agree that the risks are very low, I love golf and would love to be loading the clubs into the car this morning and enjoying my usual 4-ball, but we have the 2k and essential journey rules that for the common good have to be obeyed, that’s my only issue.
    That rule applies to all.
    Once the stay at home part of the restrictions are lifted, hopefully 3 weeks time, we should be the first sport that will be “good to go”, probably with the previous restrictions, pin, rakes, social distancing etc for a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Took a walk through our place the other day (it's within 2km of me)

Parts of it look like Augusta!! The greens staff have been working away, and doing a great job.

However, a lot of people are treating it like it's a park and walking their elephants there......I only assume it's elephants and not dogs, because of the size of some of the turds they left behind!!!!

There was also one family having a "mini-picnic" on one the tee-boxes!!

It was quite annoying - on the one hand, I'm not allowed go to the practice area on my own and hit a few balls or even play a few holes, but people can walk the same strip of land with a dog! And have little gatherings.

Plus, I'd wonder what happens if someone trips and claims - even if they are there as a trespasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,848 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Parts of it look like Augusta!! The greens staff have been working away, and doing a great job.

However, a lot of people are treating it like it's a park and walking their elephants there......I only assume it's elephants and not dogs, because of the size of some of the turds they left behind!!!!

It was quite annoying - on the one hand, I'm not allowed go to the practice area on my own and hit a few balls or even play a few holes, but people can walk the same strip of land with a dog! And have little gatherings.

Plus, I'd wonder what happens if someone trips and claims - even if they are there as a trespasser.

The Gardai are moving on picnicers and sunbathers from parks so you can report the people having a picnic on your golf course.

The same as if they trip and injure themselves while robbing your home they can sue you if you, gotta love our justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I don't get this mentality. You're giving out about people doing the exact same thing as you.

The only thing that sets you apart from them is you're a member, which makes no difference at all in the current situation.

Nobody apart from greenkeepers should be on a golf course at the moment. Just because you're a member you do not have the right to pop down for a visit and see how the place is looking.

NONE of you should be there, elephants, picnickers, dogs, members alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

JCDUB wrote: »
    I don't get this mentality. You're giving out about people doing the exact same thing as you.

The only thing that sets you apart from them is you're a member, which makes no difference at all in the current situation.

Nobody apart from greenkeepers should be on a golf course at the moment. Just because you're a member you do not have the right to pop down for a visit and see how the place is looking.

NONE of you should be there, elephants, picnickers, dogs, members alike.

If by leaving dog turds behind, and littering the place with food waste then I was definitely not doing the same as anyone.

Not that I have to explain myself, but I was within 2km of where I live and had permission to be on the course - I walked out along the beach then back through the course, taking a few photos to share with some of the members who can't get out and who might be wondering what the course was like.

The idea of me (and two others taking a few snaps of the course) was the club secretary's, so the membership can see what's happening. So at his request I took photos of the course and the greenkeepers working.

Based on what I saw, and based on some other reports we're considering having a few more walk the course occasionally and ask people, politely, to vacate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

perfectly legal Sultan.

I hope you didnt enjoy yourself though, thats very risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

In my experience the general public should be allowed nowhere near a golf course, if they are I'd give it a week before the greens are destroyed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've got an idea, let the public use the golf course............but charge them 10 times the membership fee to use it.

We all pay to use our courses so why shouldn't anyone who wants to use it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement