Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How bad will the global recession be?

• 02-04-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

This is obviously the biggest collapse in the global economy since WW2, but even in WW2 industry was producing.
    Right now almost everything is shutdown to an extent globally.
    The entire hospitality industry is shutdown globally.

The amount of businesses that will go under is unimaginable.

The only upside i can see is that anyone who retains their jobs will be saving a fortune staying at home and not spending money on anything but essentials. So potentially, there will be a lot of cash to splash once this is over.

I think how bad it is will depend on the banks at the end of the day and how it affects credit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

This is obviously the biggest collapse in the global economy since WW2, but even in WW2 industry was producing. etc

I personally am still just shocked the markets are currently this good. A green day? today? with 10 million new jobless in US? Madness.
    Its ok, i pull my money out and i haven the courage to short yet.

I see another 20-40% drop in prices. I think although money is pumping for a V shape recovery. I cant see how THAT much money can be pumped in since this is all likely to last a long time. A month? 2? No problem.. but 4-6.. Thats alot of free money.
    We would be mad not to take it though at current rates.

The airline and hotel industry is going to be a sloooowww recovery though. Different countries allowing different flight numbers/areas to manage the next peak of infections after lock down ends..
    I can myself imagine getting on a plane in the next 6-10 months.. unless i've got a vaccine in me.

I just cant imagine planes/travel not being a nightmare for infection control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

People that have just got over the last one will struggle to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

manonboard wrote: »
    I personally am still just shocked the markets are currently this good. A green day? today? with 10 million new jobless in US? Madness.
    Im struggling to understand this aswell, is it just the stimulus propping it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Thargor wrote: »
    Im struggling to understand this aswell, is it just the stimulus propping it up?

Its the chinese buying

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

bizidea wrote: »
    Its the chinese buying
    Any source for that?

• Advertisement

Read it on forbes or the economist not sure which.only country back up running while the rest of the world is falling apart now if you were into conspiracy theories

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Trump is single handedly keeping the stock market up. If he gets turfed out in the Autumn it will be interesting to see how the markets react.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This event will be very similar to the next (more gradual) automation (human asset) based worker replacement recession.
    e.g. 3.5m Truck Drivers are at high risk in the US alone, of redundancy by 2030-35, with no labour re-access point.

The big difference is this is an elastic situation, with a bounce back expected at some point in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Trump is single handedly keeping the stock market up. If he gets turfed out in the Autumn it will be interesting to see how the markets react.

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Read it on forbes or the economist not sure which.only country back up running while the rest of the world is falling apart now if you were into conspiracy theories

And in Jan Feb China were the only country in shutdown.

Absolute BS conspiracy theory. Next!

• Advertisement

The current economic problems is a supply problem rather than a demand problem.

The sooner the outbreak is over the sooner we get back to where we were.

Downside is the longer it goes on the more likely job losses become permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

daheff wrote: »
    The current economic problems is a supply problem rather than a demand problem.

The sooner the outbreak is over the sooner we get back to where we were.

Downside is the longer it goes on the more likely job losses become permanent.

The problem is that we wont be back to normal for a very long time.

Even if for example Ireland managed to get to a point that there are zero infected people, everything cant return to normal until thats the case globally.
    Other countries like India are just getting started. India is going to be a ****show.

I dont see the world getting back to normal until a vaccine is made available which is 12 months away at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Diarmuid wrote: »
    lol.

:rolleyes:

1 Tweet from Trump and oil prices jump 33%

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

daheff wrote: »
    And in Jan Feb China were the only country in shutdown.

Absolute BS conspiracy theory. Next!

No other country in the world will be out of lockdown as fast as china they will be the only country back up at full manufacturing capability for id say the next 6 months.we just dropped them a handy 200m and thats probably only the start for ppe that the people who need it aren't happy with and we are only one very small country on the edge of europe .
    this virus is going to rip the US to absolute shreds. I reckon they'll be the worst effected first world country the financial and human cost over there will be unprecedented
    Now I was just saying if you were into conspiracy theories which im not by the way it would have you thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Gman1987

Its the chinese buying

If it is the Chinese buying would then not be better off withdrawing from the market for a few weeks and then they could re-enter at a much lower entry point?

I'd say there is well over a 50% discount on the majority of stocks out there compared to a month or so ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Restrictions will have to be lifted at some stage although it's difficult to see how that can happen until a vaccine is found, a viable vaccine is at least a year away, economies won't accept a lockdown til then so some mechanism will have to be found, people with a certified antibody test might be allowed back to work in the short term to kickstart the economy a bit. The States obviously is a big issue but if this takes hold in parts of Asia and particularly in Africa the outcome will be devastating.

Challenging year ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ger1987 wrote: »
    If it is the Chinese buying would then not be better off withdrawing from the market for a few weeks and then they could re-enter at a much lower entry point?

Depends on what they’re buying , if you’ve your eye on something in particular, you snap it up when you can, even at a “discounted premium “.

In more general terms , the world will never get back to the old norms , no way , never.

This is not a complete negative either , it’s a matter for investors to figure out the new norms.

It’s be interesting to see the long term effects on certain industries over others after 1929 , some never returned some flourished.

In Ireland I’d say we’re very exposed to aviation and aviation finance amongst others, but steeped with having massive Pharma, I also think hospitality and tourism will not bounce back worldwide, inc here ,so there will be large thinning out, oversupply and unemployment.

I can’t see any obvious opportunities yet, as there is too much in play at the moment and the risk of unseen collateral damage on unlikely unconnected industries.

So hold on to your hats and smell the roses for a while yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Restrictions will have to be lifted at some stage although it's difficult to see how that can happen until a vaccine is found, a viable vaccine is at least a year away, economies won't accept a lockdown til then so some mechanism will have to be found, people with a certified antibody test might be allowed back to work in the short term to kickstart the economy a bit. The States obviously is a big issue but if this takes hold in parts of Asia and particularly in Africa the outcome will be devastating.

Challenging year ahead

That remains to be seen... many of the Europe countries have sufficient stock piles of essential goods to last several months or longer, based on old WW2 legislation.

For instance here in Switzerland, with a complete close down of local industry and no imports, there is sufficient stocks to feed the entire population for up to at least six months. And these stocks are regularly verified by the federal authorities. That is why there has been no panic buying here, everyone knows we have plenty of stocks. Hell, we even have a complete stock of seeds to plan new crops if necessary.

Ironically we were just about to have a national referendum on reducing the coffee stock to a three month supply, when this virus struck....

I used to think they were way OTT with their preparations here, but suddenly it is not so OTT at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Mach 3

How long before the "If you are not a Citizen, GTF out" brigade starts? (Worldwide)

This is a breeding ground for the hard left and hard right. I cannot understand how people expect things to fall back into place as if nothing changed.

• Advertisement

this virus is going to rip the US to absolute shreds. I reckon they'll be the worst effected first world country the financial and human cost over there will be unprecedented

agreed. unfortunately this is a function of their leadership and general low levels of common sense (anti vac/flat earth etc). They don't believe their leaders and their leaders (DT as a prime example) are very slow reacting to the problem. Its more a blame game than a looking at solving the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I see another 20-40% drop in prices. I think although money is pumping for a V shape recovery. I cant see how THAT much money can be pumped in since this is all likely to last a long time. A month? 2? No problem.. but 4-6.. Thats alot of free money.

The airline and hotel industry is going to be a sloooowww recovery though. Different countries allowing different flight numbers/areas to manage the next peak of infections after lock down ends..
    I can myself imagine getting on a plane in the next 6-10 months.. unless i've got a vaccine in me.

The markets are the present value of the stream of expected corporate profits into the infinite future.

In that context even a 6 month shutdown is small cheese. It will largely be a V shaped recovery without a doubt. There won't be 10 million umeployed at end of year, that's for sure. People will want to go to restaurants, hotels, bars and get their hair done.

Thee will only be a bigger downward shift in the markets if there's an expectation of permanent damage. I don't see much evidence of permanent damage. Vaccine may be available within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

What could possibly be causing the raise in the markets the last few days.

Things are not really looking great globally. Just a couple of days of less reported COVID-19 cases and the markets raise by 10% over 3 days?

Surely they will come crashing back down once we have just 1 bad day again with the cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

There are lots and lots of good profitable businesses, that deserve continued investment support...

People still need to eat, have light and heat in they homes or places of work, fuel they cars, trucks, public buses, buy medicens, etc etc. If they are staying in more, then the likes of Netflix, Diageo may benefit to an extent. The list goes on...

There's still lots of pension money being invested, alternative asset classes are giving very poor returns so investment managers will probably still favour equities.

There's also a belief that governments will act quickly to invest in economies and get people back to work quickly, once coronavirus has been dealt with.

So, is it really time to go live in that bunker underground and stay there for the next 7 years, or is it possible that your being overly negative here ? :)

I do agree with you on the likes of the airline sector btw, I expect consolation and some airline companies to go bust over the next 12 months, unfortunitely.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

The markets are the present value of the stream of expected corporate profits into the infinite future.

In that context even a 6 month shutdown is small cheese. It will largely be a V shaped recovery without a doubt. There won't be 10 million umeployed at end of year, that's for sure. People will want to go to restaurants, hotels, bars and get their hair done.

Thee will only be a bigger downward shift in the markets if there's an expectation of permanent damage. I don't see much evidence of permanent damage. Vaccine may be available within a year.
    You think this will be a V shaped recovery?

Small business owners are literally going to be swamped with bills. Rent, Property Tax (rates), utility bills etc. Here in the States I can see many people loosing their homes and having massive bills to pay after this.

Many of those small businesses are not going to open after this. Thankfully, people are keeping restaurants going by buying takeout and vouchers and things here. Adapt or die.

Unless, rent and bills are included in ay stimulus packages issued by governments, (like they are here in the States) this is going to be a U shaped recovery at best and even that is being optimistic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Total nonsense! The vast majority of people buying and selling stocks could not value a stock using simple methods if their lives depended on it, never mind do a DCF. The daily noise on this forum is just representative of that.

The current prices are just the most recent poll of the "chancers".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

garrettod wrote: »
    So, is it really time to go live in that bunker underground and stay there for the next 7 years, or is it possible that your being overly negative here ? :)

I mean with all respect, I think you've made up some pretty unusual conclusions from my post and interpreted them as mine?

Keeping my money out of the market because i believe there will be another 20%+ price dip, along with some industries being severely slow to recover is all I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

http://econbrowser.com/

A few of the recent posts discuss why a V-shaped rebound may not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Two daily drops, followed by two daily increases (+85k global yesterday), shows it's very much up in the air.
    The US makes 1/3rd of all confirmed cases now, which wil impact any market recovery.

kfZtcE5.png

Prediction is for Central & West Africa (along with x4 NA areas) to take off numbers wise in a couple of weeks, to even overtake the US 1/2m figure, during May.
    This assuming that heat/UV won't slow it as expected, after all Spain (Madrid) has been totally tropical for the last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Gman1987

Handy website for tracking Covid by country. It looks to be really getting going in the USA

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Advertisement