Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blakes 7

• 03-08-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Ok this was was my favourite ever series. I remember sitting through my finals in college just knowing I was was missing an episode of Blakes 7. So some years later it doesn't quite look the same. Indeed its hard to guage between Blakes 7 and Space 1999 as to which is more dated. I did live through 3 episodes of Blakes 7 before I simply could not go further. Anyone have a recollection of a series that has dated just as badly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hmmm I would argue that Space 1999 hasn't aged that badly (other than the ill-advised flares and the 70's wah-wah guitar incidental music at times). Yes the special effects look definitely over 40 years old but the set, spaceships and stories still hold up pretty well.

I too LOVED Bake's 7 but yes, it has dated badly in terms of its look, production etc. Still Avon was such a pr1ck he was actually brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Blake's 7 had some great characters and and some amazing and interesting plots oh and cool computers Zen and Oraq

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This and Buck Rogers were favourites when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Servalan.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moved from Films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

tallpaul wrote: »
    Hmmm I would argue that Space 1999 hasn't aged that badly (other than the ill-advised flares and the 70's wah-wah guitar incidental music at times). Yes the special effects look definitely over 40 years old but the set, spaceships and stories still hold up pretty well.

I too LOVED Bake's 7 but yes, it has dated badly in terms of its look, production etc. Still Avon was such a pr1ck he was actually brilliant...
    Avon was my favourite character in Blakes7. As you say he was a total prick but he was great at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I liked the Ship in Blakes7 the liberator, but preferred 1999. Still have the Dinky Ship the Eagle!

Buck Rogers was later.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

beauf wrote: »
    I liked the Ship in Blakes7 the liberator, but preferred 1999. Still have the Dinky Ship the Eagle!

Buck Rogers was later.
    Blakes7 was in the 1980s, space 1999 crept into the nineties. Buck was in the 25th century. Way ahead of them all :-)

Im giving this a rewatch, they are all up on YouTube, leaving aside the production values , the show had a great combination of characters and stories

https://www.youtube.com/user/Blakes7Movies

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Tow

Anyone have a recollection of a series that has dated just as badly?

Starfleet/X Bomber: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Bomber

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Strangest thing I discovered recently about that show was that actual crime Blake was accused of committing was being a child molester!

Another oddity of 1970s Britain.

Tow wrote: »

did Star Wars rip off that robot at the end, was it called PP8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

donaghs wrote: »
    Strangest thing I discovered recently about that show was that actual crime Blake was accused of committing was being a child molester!

Another oddity of 1970s Britain.

No way. :eek:

That show was so serious compared to other shows. It scared me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I watched the first episode. Was a bit surprised at that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Blake 7 was brilliant, Space 1999 to me felt dated at the time but I still watched it and Battle Star Galatica was another favourite

Im on the third series now, despite some sloppy execution of ideas and 70's production values, the characters are just brilliant, Avon, Avon/Villa interactions, Servalan, Orac , Travis. Far more interesting then the cardboard characters in most modern Sifi

Advertisement