Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

mawk wrote: »
    Anyone getting on the virus hype train?

I dont think its going to be a big deal, but its a good teachable moment for having some masks and a few bottles of dettol in stock

Well you were very wrong weren’t you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

GaryByrne wrote: »
    I'd definitely go with the kemei then if I were you, cause they're meant to be ridiculously close to the magic clip

And at 30quid that's the price of 2 haircuts

I'm actually dreading the thought of having to cut my own hair ha so much for barbering being recession proof lol

I think plenty of other people are thinking the same way about hair cutting. The kemei copy is out of stock for at least another 2 weeks. Think it is the most sensible one for me to buy. Edit> Just bought it - will update on its effectiveness in about 3 weeks I hope.

Is there not a black market night time hairdressing ring going yet - give it time I and the Gards will be out checking for scissors and combs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭GaryByrne

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I think plenty of other people are thinking the same way about hair cutting. The kemei copy is out of stock for at least another 2 weeks. Think it is the most sensible one for me to buy. Edit> Just bought it - will update on its effectiveness in about 3 weeks I hope.

Is there not a black market night time hairdressing ring going yet - give it time I and the Gards will be out checking for scissors and combs :D

I've had a few messages asking how I'm getting on and if I'm still cutting hair ha
    People would risk their life's for a fade it seems

I know a few around Dublin doing it on the sly but only to loyal customers, but sure its essentially the same risk.

Hopefully those clippers do the job now for you
    There are loads of instructional videos online also
    Ant the barber is a good one as he breaks down the guard use for fades
    Or bossiocuts
    Just so you don't go into this blindly ha

I've had a few messages asking how I'm getting on and if I'm still cutting hair ha

I know a few around Dublin doing it on the sly but only to loyal customers, but sure its essentially the same risk.

Hopefully those clippers do the job now for you
    There are loads of instructional videos online also
    Ant the barber is a good one as he breaks down the guard use for fades
    Or bossiocuts
    Just so you don't go into this blindly ha

My mother cut hair and did blue rinses for over 50 years so I've heard stories about all the possible screw ups, the good thing is I wear a woolly hat most of the time when I'm out. Just reminded me a friend of my wifes did actually try and bleach her hair with household bleach :eek: :confused: burnt her scalp, its hard to get your mind around what some people will do :confused:

If that kemei will do the wire wool thats my beard then I'll move on with a number 4 and see what real damage it can do :eek:

theballz wrote: »
    Well you were very wrong weren’t you?

He might have been wrong but he did bother to start a thread on it. What were your thoughts on the subject 2 months ago?

• Advertisement

My mother cut hair and did blue rinses for over 50 years so I've heard stories about all the possible screw ups, the good thing is I wear a woolly hat most of the time when I'm out. Just reminded me a friend of my wifes did actually try and bleach her hair with household bleach :eek: :confused: burnt her scalp, its hard to get your mind around what some people will do :confused:

If that kemei will do the wire wool thats my beard then I'll move on with a number 4 and see what real damage it can do :eek:

You'll be dead on ha post a picture ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

tom1ie wrote: »
    Power storage/ generation is also on the list. Portable 100w panels plus something like the eco flow delta. I’d couple this up with an electric hot plate. I’ve got a 12v camping fridge I could use and run that off the eco flow.

Firstly look at essential electrical needs, fridge, freezer, oil burner and or fireplace back boiler pump. Then see can you unplug these (often wired in with no plug) and can you generate enough power for 24/7/days needed. Things that heat take massive amounts of electricity, so best to heat with oil/wood/gas. The eco flow delta has a tiny battery, 180watt for an hour Max, so its not going to provide any real source. You also need to put out more solar in than you take out so you would need 400+ watts of solar or more to power daytime and store some for night time. Solar sounds great, but you need a LOT of solar and a lot of batteries, and most system switch off if the mains from esb drops. A mixture of solar and batteries for LED lights, gas for cooking, wood for heat, and a 2000vA generator for loads such as oil burner with petrol for generator/lawnmower. Beware petrol is dangerous, and it can go off, so best to cycle it or use it up regularly via lawnmower or petrol car. Use a certified steel container jerry can, not a plastic one.

zg3409 wrote: »
    .... Beware petrol is dangerous, and it can go off, so best to cycle it or use it up regularly via lawnmower or petrol car. Use a certified steel container jerry can, not a plastic one.

I'm happy enough with plastic petrol cans, most are fine but there are some poor ones around. tbh I've had more problems with steel jerry cans rusting out than I've ever had with plastic cans. I have a good assortment and some from Glambia are rubbish but they are still usable. The powerfix ones I have from Lidl are as good as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I would have thought there is now an underground hairdressing scene going on. Perhaps more demand from women as a lot of men will just put up with it till things are back to normal; barbershops are going to have very full floors :pac:

Its just not worth the risk for hairdressers though. Imagine you ended up in hospital coughing your lungs up, you'd feel like a right plonker then. Its obviously very hard financially for them but no amount of money is worth that risk or the further risk of passing it onto friends, family, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I'm happy enough with plastic petrol cans, most are fine but there are some poor ones around. tbh I've had more problems with steel jerry cans rusting out than I've ever had with plastic cans. I have a good assortment and some from Glambia are rubbish but they are still usable. The powerfix ones I have from Lidl are as good as any.
    Same as that, no issue with plastic cans. In winter I change it every few weeks by topping up the wifes car or my jeep and this time of the year it goes though the lawnmower and chainsaw.

My genie gets a run every now and then too to make sure its all good.

Have thought about storing a bit more though lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

zg3409 wrote: »
    Firstly look at essential electrical needs, fridge, freezer, oil burner and or fireplace back boiler pump. Then see can you unplug these (often wired in with no plug) and can you generate enough power for 24/7/days needed. Things that heat take massive amounts of electricity, so best to heat with oil/wood/gas. The eco flow delta has a tiny battery, 180watt for an hour Max, so its not going to provide any real source. You also need to put out more solar in than you take out so you would need 400+ watts of solar or more to power daytime and store some for night time. Solar sounds great, but you need a LOT of solar and a lot of batteries, and most system switch off if the mains from esb drops. A mixture of solar and batteries for LED lights, gas for cooking, wood for heat, and a 2000vA generator for loads such as oil burner with petrol for generator/lawnmower. Beware petrol is dangerous, and it can go off, so best to cycle it or use it up regularly via lawnmower or petrol car. Use a certified steel container jerry can, not a plastic one.

I agree with most of what you say however the ecoflow delta has 1800w max power output and holds 1300Wh of power, so its not really tiny, however as you say you certainly wont power your house off it.
    you could power an electric hotplate and a small fridge etc, then top it up with solar.
    However it costs 1399 euro plus the cost of 100w panels @ 380 euro, you be better off getting a 48v dc system with inverter setup at home.

tom1ie wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you say however the ecoflow delta has 1800w max power output and holds 1300Wh of power, so its not really tiny, however as you say you certainly wont power your house off it.
    you could power an electric hotplate and a small fridge etc, then top it up with solar.
    However it costs 1399 euro plus the cost of 100w panels @ 380 euro, you be better off getting a 48v dc system with inverter setup at home.

I know you are just making up an example but I don't really understand why anyone would consider powering an electric hotplate from a battery system unless they had a massive solar array?

Great excitement! Tomorrow is shopping day! Out for a couple of hours, first time since last Wednesday.

Which reminds me I must put the wifes car battery on charge as her car hasn't been started in three weeks.

So what is everyone else up to in between the excitement.

A lot of gardening for me but we do have a large garden.

Haha I got my trip to the supermarket today!

Over the last few days iv got my workshop cleared out so it's now a usable space, got my jeep inside where it will now live and started working on it, has been seriously neglected since last july and has seized brakes, flat battery, sticky spots in steering rack on top of needing a full service and all diff oils. Got the first few bits done between sunday and yesterday and got a heap of service stuff coming for both it and the wifes car so that will keep me busy for another few days!

I went to lidl on Thursday last week and got a load of their garden deals, loads of new planters and flowers and also strawberry, broccoli, cucumber plants and a few raspberry bushes for the garden, hopefully start get a few this season and extend it from there to other things we use regularly

The kemei https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJFRF1N/ arrived. Thanks GaryByrne for the recommendation. Out of the box it really did a great job on the beard and about 100x faster than the old Lidl thing I have. Beard with the Lidl trimmer took at least 10 minutes and multiple passes to get the beard down to 2-3mm the Kemei literally took 30 seconds.

Only naff thing about it is its a two pin power adapter but they do include a shaver adapter with it.

Now I have to decide just how long I can let my hair grow before it really starts annoying me and I resort to the #4.

Unfortunately if you want one they are currently unavailable on Amazon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=301344&d=1586458599

Tabnabs wrote: »
    ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=301344&d=1586458599

Loads of yank peepers in their bunkers right now feeling like this! Haha

aaakev wrote: »
    Loads of yank peepers in their bunkers right now feeling like this! Haha

If I didn't live where the water table was only inches below the surface I might be spending the time digging myself a bunker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Hi All -

I'm regretting only finding this thread now !

I think the shortages are only beginning to appear at the moment and will be much more severe in 3 - 4 months time.

I've been following this virus in depth from the beginning of the year.
    I have a particular reason for my interest in genetics/viruses which is why I was straight on to it.

Nobody wanted to know anything in Jan or Feb, when I telling people that this virus can change your life ore than anybody realises.

People in work told me to stop going on about it , my friends rolled their eyes to heaven and my family just dismissed me.

So I have been quietly stocking up on what I think I'll need further down the line.
    My best advice is just just buy a little more than you need (10% extra) each time you go shopping. It is important not to panic buy now as there's only a certain amount of goods for everybody else. We are all in this together.

You are going to need these goods for yourself and you are going to need it to share with loved ones that will run out.

The virus is behaving differently to any other, prepare for the worst and hope to god it dosen't come to this stage.

What I can tell you is that there wont be a vaccine made in time to dampen our current situation. It is very possible that we may never find a vaccine, just like we can't get one for the milder common cold.

Get something to defend yourself and your family in the event of a complete collapse in society. If things get really short then people will resort to doing things they never dreamed of, in order to feed their family.

This current 'lockdown' is nowhere near strong enough to quell the virus, and unless the government apply a proper measure we shall maintain this status quo.

Don't rely on the government to keep you safe.
    This time last month Leo V still hadn't cancelled St Patricks Day - and Cheltenham was in full flow.

Too many of their advisors are economists and not health professionals.

I told a few people in early Feb about Chloroquin which could be found in some over-the counter medication and keep it aside with zinc.

(something to keep for an emergency only.)

Nobody took any notice until a month later when Trump starts rabbiting on about it.

The pandemic will clearly identify people who are 'givers' and people who are 'takers'.

Know who they are and protect yourself/your family from the people who use the pandemic to their own advantage.

Singapore that has been praised for their approach and for almost ridding the country of the disease.
    They went into lockdown yesterday having bolted too early.

India is just beginning to take off and China are nowhere near out of the woods yet.

Forget about a return to normal in May and forget about a return to normal any time soon.
    We're in for the long haul I fear.
    You wont be shaking hands with anybody this side of Christmas

The kemei https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJFRF1N/ arrived. Thanks GaryByrne for the recommendation. Out of the box it really did a great job on the beard and about 100x faster than the old Lidl thing I have. Beard with the Lidl trimmer took at least 10 minutes and multiple passes to get the beard down to 2-3mm the Kemei literally took 30 seconds.

Only naff thing about it is its a two pin power adapter but they do include a shaver adapter with it.

Now I have to decide just how long I can let my hair grow before it really starts annoying me and I resort to the #4.

Glad to hear it was a good buy
    Clippers are like gold dust these days

• Advertisement

Glad to hear it was a good buy
    Clippers are like gold dust these days

Yep very pleased with them, was dreading buying any clippers to be honest as I've had so many crap ones in the past, either very slow or worked for a bit then fell to bits.

The #4 comb is still a week or two off yet :) Might even do a "Gibbs" and run a #1 around the sides LOL.

Yep very pleased with them, was dreading buying any clippers to be honest as I've had so many crap ones in the past, either very slow or worked for a bit then fell to bits.

The #4 comb is still a week or two off yet :) Might even do a "Gibbs" and run a #1 around the sides LOL.

Now is the time to experiment if ever there was one ha
    It'll grow back lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

These are now available to buy from Amazon again, picked one up today.

So this is my latest Pandemic survival purchase....

Pluse Oximiter Fingertip Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor

6156PessGbL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Seems to be an important indicator for patient health...

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-pneumonia-signs-over-the-counter-pulse-oximeter-2020-4

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11452353/simple-device-identify-falling-severely-ill-coronavirus/

While looking at them on Amazon last night I noticed the price gouging starting on them since they have hit the news.

Some intersting observations since having the water filter see back to page 4 of the thread.

Going by how often we fill the filter up we seem to be using not far short of a gallon of water each every day. A lot more water than I'd have ever considered needing. I'm mixing units here but I would now allow 4 liters (gallon is 4.4l) per day per person. The filtered water is only used for drinking water, and making tea and coffee. Calculations are very rough and ready but the other end of the scale is that there is no way we use less than 3 liters each every day. Water for cooking like for steaming veg still comes straight from the tap.

Funny thing is I always worried we didn't drink enough water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

aaakev wrote: »
    I

I think you are bang on about the crime, still lots of groups going around and it's only a matter of time before trouble starts especially since everywhere is closed and they will have even less to do than normal.

Apparently domestic burglary is way down as homes are occupied 24/7. Closed commercial building crime is up, and extra checkpoints by Gardai seem to be stopping more suspicious cars without a good reason to be travelling. The chances of getting stopped for speeding is way up as roads are so quiet and traffic core are not busy.

That said the chances of getting Gardai help when calling them may be variable. I assume some Gardai are sick or child minding, and they have additional duties of check points and covit related help.

So the appointed time arrived and I put a number 4 all over and hair isn't looking tooooooooooooo bad. Had a bit of a problem at the back as its hard to work that bit blind but got there in the end. My wife was well amused as I missed out some big tufts on the top of my head near the back to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

So the appointed time arrived and I put a number 4 all over and hair isn't looking tooooooooooooo bad. Had a bit of a problem at the back as its hard to work that bit blind but got there in the end. My wife was well amused as I missed out some big tufts on the top of my head near the back to start with.

dude, here is some advice from a baldy who has cut his own hair for, wow, just did some metal maths...actually decades....anyways...

now as a baldy, i just cut mine on a level one. hair styles are not an issue. so just a few tips.

if it has the plastic attachment for the blades just make sure its on correctly. (trust me easy to not do that right)
    keep it flat to your head and follow the shape. again keeping it flat i hold it nearer the cutting blades (fingers across the top of the cutter body, thumb underneath , obvious i know but thought i would mention anyways) ) as its easier to manipulate, so just dont start tilting the blades because your hand will try to do that.....
    for the back of your head, go back and forth, if you keep it flat it will only cut so much anyways.
    over your ears, you might have to get the ole scissors out, there are cutting pieces for that but for me i found most of them are kinda BS.

get into the habit of cutting your hair regularly...easier to cut short and keep it short. most of these cutters work far better not cutting loads of hair, thats when they jam up and you start pulling hair clumps-- which is why most stop doing their own btw). now obviously, i dont have to worry about the top, but last i saw there was a good few youtube hair cutting tutorials.. also if you cut it regularly you will get super fast at this and you wont get the mohican effect...

finally, as there is nothing sadder than a baldy in a barbers ..you would be amazed how much money you save on this...our local barbers is about a tenner to get hair cut, so whatever way you cut this (see what i did dere) its a minimum of 120 euro per year and probably 240ish...so think like this, its a chunk off the price of a graphics card per year or a chunk off a new phone etc... totally worth getting good at this -- and thats nothing to do with global pandemics...good luck on the cutting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'm trying to find a cheap, renewable water filtration system which doesn't have parts that need replacing, it will require regular cleaning I'd imagine. Can anyone recommend something? I have water purification tablets for about 6 months and 100l of bottled water but we rent our property so I can't go down the line of fitting anything permanent. I'd just love some sort of filter you can pour externally collected water into and clean after every use to stop gunk building up on it, but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Edit - I meant cost-effective more than cheap... it doesn't have to be THAT inexpensive, I'm willing to spend €400-500 but just don't want to rely on shortages of expensive replacement parts etc

• Advertisement

My post this thread #47 you have to renew the filters every 6 months so about €100 a year to run but I don't think you'll get a better manual system. If you want any more info just ask. Ideally it needs clean water that isn't cloudy as the more muck in the water the more work the filter has to do and the sooner it gets blocked. Also needs cleaning (just a wipe over with a pan scrubber) every month again more cleaning if the water is dirtier.

Edit - noticed your edit and the filter candles are about 50 euro for 6 months use but can be stored indefinitely. I keep 12 month supply and then rotate that by buying new ones when I use them from stock. Currently the filter candles are in short supply and expensive (not by much and none available with the free postage I normally get) but having a small stock of them allows me to buy them when the prices are at their cheapest.

Advertisement