Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

• 02-04-2020 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Our police come under a lot of scrutiny,some justified,much not.
    But i have to say i have been blown away by the efforts of the force since this COVID19 crisis started.

In every community throughout the country they have been looking after our elderly and vulnerable.
    Dropping off supplies of food and medications, checking in to make sure people are being looked after and all the while dealing with everyday policing.

Could this crisis change many peoples view on our police.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Actually is the Garda Reserve still there? Wonder they haven't taken on some on a short term emergency basis would be ideal for helping out in the community especially the doing shopping for the elderly who've no family supports

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Our police come under a lot of scrutiny,some justified,much not.
    But i have to say i have been blown away by the efforts of the force since this COVID19 crisis started.

In every community throughout the country they have been looking after our elderly and vulnerable.
    Dropping off supplies of food and medications, checking in to make sure people are being looked after and all the while dealing with everyday policing.

Could this crisis change many peoples view on our police.?

In every community in the country?
    I haven't seen a garda in weeks around my area and they definitely haven't called to any of the elderly or vulnerable in our community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It's just a bluebottle seeing if the propaganda campaign on social media and the scrolling news worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My estate has 20 houses and is directly behind a Garda station . There is 5 houses who’s owners are pensioners and Garda widows, 11 houses who are pensioners.i have not seen one Garda call to any of these houses since this started.

We have had travellers looking to “top our trees “ twice since Saturday though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The priority order for policing will be different right now. Many of the members may have to self isolate right now. Can you imagine the pressure all the emergency services are under?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

yabadabado wrote: »
    I haven't seen a garda in weeks around my area and they definitely haven't called to any of the elderly or vulnerable in our community.

Do you have eyes on elderly or vulnerable people in your area? Just cause you haven't witnessed or seen them do it doesn't mean they aren't.

I've seen Gardai in the rented cars with GARDA decals driving in to old folks apartment complexes in my area. The cars that were photographed and shared on WhatsApp groups as "enforcement vehicles" :rolleyes:.

I can only assume they're helping out as the complex isn't exactly a bedrock of violence and lawlessness. There's a chance they're looking out for them and you're not seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

yabadabado wrote: »

How could you possibly know that for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

scwazrh wrote: »
    My estate has 20 houses and is directly behind a Garda station . There is 5 houses who’s owners are pensioners and Garda widows, 11 houses who are pensioners.i have not seen one Garda call to any of these houses since this started.

If these are pensioners would the Gardaot be better to telephone them rather than call?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Do you have eyes on elderly or vulnerable people in your area? Just cause you haven't witnessed or seen them do it doesn't mean they aren't.

I've seen Gardai in the rented cars with GARDA decals driving in to old folks apartment complexes in my area. The cars that were photographed and shared on WhatsApp groups as "enforcement vehicles" :rolleyes:.

I can only assume they're helping out as the complex isn't exactly a bedrock of violence and lawlessness. There's a chance they're looking out for them and you're not seeing it.

Out of interest are you in Dublin or another city? Perhaps the Garda are concentration on cities

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Actually is the Garda Reserve still there? Wonder they haven't taken on some on a short term emergency basis would be ideal for helping out in the community especially the doing shopping for the elderly who've no family supports

Reserve is still a thing. Problem is that most of actual full time guards are currently being crewed with same partners in same vehicles etc at the moment to potentially reduce chance of infection. A reserve guard with a regular job who does one shift a week breaks that continuity. Reserve has to be with a full time guard at all times in public on duty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Reserve is still a thing. Problem is that most of actual full time guards are currently being crewed with same partners in same vehicles etc at the moment to potentially reduce chance of infection. A reserve guard with a regular job who does one shift a week breaks that continuity. Reserve has to be with a full time guard at all times in public on duty.

Ahhhh yes I get you. I had thought a full time Garda and maybe allow 2 Reserves but as you said I forgot that the Reservist could be spreading infection

If these are pensioners would the Gardaot be better to telephone them rather than call?

Phoning them would be a great idea . I assumed from social media that Garda are calling to peoples houses. Do they phone or call to the house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've seen Gardai in the rented cars with GARDA decals driving in to old folks apartment complexes in my area. The cars that were photographed and shared on WhatsApp groups as "enforcement vehicles" .

I actually saw a black hyundai Tucson today with white GARDA decal on side ....thought it looked od ..... I suppose this is what you are talking about?

Out of interest are you in Dublin or another city? Perhaps the Garda are concentration on cities

Yeah scwarzh, in the North Bay Area of Dublin City under DCC. So what I'm seeing are Gardai visiting a small apartment complex with nothing but very elderly and vulnerable people who seem to have nobody else. I used to help out an old man there, he was a lifelong bachelor with no next of kin and no money (we dropped up cakes and children's DVD's which he was fond of, he got a kick out of seeing our kids too)

It's more a case of the older vulnerable being in concentration in this area. My own folks are vulnerable and elderly in the city in regular housing but haven't been visited by the Gardai, neither have their elderly neighbours.

I actually saw a black hyundai Tucson today with white GARDA decal on side ....thought it looked od ..... I suppose this is what you are talking about?

Hey Monkeysnapper, yeah, they hired cars in the start of March. There was lots of speculation about why, but it seems for an excellent reason. Good foresight in fairness to them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda%C3%AD-in-200-rented-cars-set-for-community-outreach-1.4204557

• Registered Users Posts: 18,848 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The road my parents live on has about 30 houses and the majority of occupants are over 70 no Garda or post person has called into anyone. This is suburban south side Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Del2005 wrote: »
    The road my parents live on has about 30 houses and the majority of occupants are over 70 no Garda or post person has called into anyone. This is suburban south side Dublin

So they are ensuring they are not exposing the elderly to the virus?

tuxy wrote: »
    So they are ensuring they are not exposing the elderly to the virus?

They can't win either way

How do you know?

I have never seen anyone eaten by a shark, never seen a shark in the wild actually. Pretty sure both events are still occuring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A friend of mine was down the river fishing for a few trout, these gents got out of the car and asked him what was he up to.

Fishing rod in hand, he said that's my house on the hill, they were grand about it.
    The boys had a handy number, they're based around North Clare checking out the lay of the land.

Thankfully they're out and about, because the plebs were trampling all over mulloghmore near Carran and there was cars parked all over the place last weekend.
    Blatant abandonment on side roads, throwing litter everywhere, all because they wanted to go for a walk in the country.

That place is always quite but like lahinch and Kilkee the amount of plebs out was sickening.
    The same idiots idea of exercise is a walk to the fridge on a Sunday.
    But they're entitled to go where they like, but there wasn't any 2m distancing I'm told...

• Advertisement

Similar to my folks road, all of whom have adult kids who are looking after them or younger neighbours keeping an eye out.

The complex I see the Gardai calling in to is a very old development that contains very old people most of whom don't have any adult kids. The demographic seems to be unskilled rural born Irish elders that emigrated, worked in the UK and came back to Ireland with broken bodies from working hard all their lives. The ones I know are ex-construction and ex-domestic servants. The gent we visited was a Mayo man who worked tarmacking motorways in the UK, his neighbours on both sides were nannies in the UK.

The Gardai are, per head of population, one of the worst resourced forces in the eu and Western world. 15000 Gardai for 5 million people. Compare that to Spain with over 200,000 police in various forces for 50 million people. They also have responsibility for areas that are not the dealt with by police in other countries. Hungary is a similar size with a similar population but more than double the police!

So in top of all the usual stuff that normally happens (Criminals are still committing crime) they are being told to ask people about their travel and give advise at checkpoints and dealing with all the calls from people who are unhappy that their neighbors are out jogging or chatting over the wall and not 2 meters apart.

Gardai are calling to people. 200 cars are currently rented, staffed by 1 real Garda and 1 rookie from templemore. That's their entire job for the day but it's still only 200 cars for the entire country.

The regular patrols are still happening and when someone calls looking for assistance even if it's not a crime matter, we will try to help but it has to be when actual crime allows. We can't ignore a crime in progress to help people with their shopping, WiFi or other issues.

All on 12 hour shifts FYI. Roster changed and people transferred to different stations overnight.

It's currently and correctly, the health professionals getting the kudos at the moment and I hope the government looks long and hard and nurses conditions afterwards because they have never been appreciated enough but Jesus, cut us some slack, because we haven't knocked on every single door in the country and offered to do your shopping!

Hi Niner leprauchan, I'm presuming you're a Garda? Your efforts are appreciated and not going unnoticed by the people that are somewhat educated and up to date on what's going on. I live in what's considered a beauty spot that was thronged with people that normally spend their weekend in pubs, shopping centres, bookies and molls last weekend and while we didn't have a problem with the crowds (we avoided then) we see what you're doing and why you're doing it.

The help the Gardai are offering to elders that don't have much back up isn't always visible and the anti-crime work that's going on under these circumstances are admirable and considered 100% risky, front line work in my opinion.

Jesus, cut us some slack, because we haven't knocked on every single door in the country and offered to do your shopping!

The Garda facebook page is full of posts of community service with shopping ,singing happy birthday to kids , and reminding us of the great job that’s being done so you should expect the public to point out where it’s not being done.

you can’t really complain about 12hr shifts while being paid overtime and the rest of us are at home unemployed through no fault of our own and expected to
    Live on €350 a week

The Garda facebook page is full of posts of community service with shopping ,singing happy birthday to kids , and reminding us of the great job that’s being done so you should expect the public to point out where it’s not being done.

you can’t really complain about 12hr shifts while being paid overtime and the rest of us are at home unemployed through no fault of our own and expected to
    Live on €350 a week

What overtime? Our shifts were changed. Your not essential, hardly on me.

And again, 5 million people, 400 Gardai in 200 cars. How many houses would you like us to get to daily? Should we get to everyone, every single day? Twice a day? How long is allowed to travel between houses and then get people's shopping?

Regardless, you just showed that people are being called into so jobs getting done

• Registered Users Posts: 14,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Haven't seen a Guard or squad car in at least 2 weeks, and TBH I've been actively looking anytime I've been out.

Can only assume they are concentrated in certain areas, but I do wonder how available they'd be right now if required. No monitoring of public spaces round my way, even before the more restrictive measures. Could have done with some visibilty in a few scenarios witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

the rest of us are at home unemployed through no fault of our own and expected to
    Live on €350 a week

Few things.

A newly qualified Guard wouldn't clear 350 pw and is expected to feed house and uniform himself out of that. You get 350 to spend sitting on your hole with only grocery shops open.

The 12 hour shifts are NOT overtime. They are more practical for the sort of policing now needed and enable Guards to do their contract hours in less tours each week reducing exposure to outside risks

Live on €350 a week

No one is on overtime on 12 hour shifts, I'm a garda and would love to have the option of staying home on 350 and keeping the virus away from my family.however I'm working to help keep it away from yours despite your ungratefulness. We serve all types lucky for you.

Maybe they’re assuming that good people like yourself will rise to the occasion and ensure your immediate community, especially the elderly and vulnerable have the support they require, as the guards deal with what their paid to do, which is detect prevent and solve crimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Phoning them would be a great idea . I assumed from social media that Garda are calling to peoples houses. Do they phone or call to the house ?

I imagine phoning people is a no. Too easy to impersonate someone. Can you imagine some older person getting attacked and robbed coming out and saying 'A Garda rang and I told them I was home alone...'

So why don't you ring up your community officer and ask them to swing by? Just because you know there is a street of over 70's does not mean that they do? Unless that street has been known for having trouble, I imagine that the demographic isn't well known.

Think someone mentioned topping trees? Make a report and say there has been an increased presence. They can't do anything about it if they don't know.

Advertisement