Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and licence applications

• 15-03-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

What do you think, will people with outstanding licence applications, still have them processed, or with the Gards being more busy will they be put on hold. Therefore if they are put on hold and run over the three months, will this be technically classed as a refusal. Although in the scheme of things probably a minor issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Max H wrote: »
    What do you think, will people with outstanding licence applications, still have them processed, or with the Gards being more busy will they be put on hold. Therefore if they are put on hold and run over the three months, will this be technically classed as a refusal. Although in the scheme of things probably a minor issue.

We'll soon find out.Got one that's due May.IF it gets as bad as predicted I doubt this will be a priority for them and they will suspend any further applications,or just issue enmasse to clear the desks.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I think they will still process renewals but they might stop taking new applications.
    I was a bit worried myself as I had to apply for a new licence as I have a rifle away at the moment being rebarreled to a different calibre.
    I got the grant letter on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I submitted a renewal on Thursday, so I'll keep ye posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Chill for the moment.

With the exception of a few things, public sector groups are working as per the norm. Challenges to personal safety and operational necessities are at present been met. Thousands of people both in the public and private sectors are still turning out to do their jobs, wheather it's mundane or extraordinary.

Let's not start catastrophizing here. It is no doubt a challenging time for us as a society and nation but lets not add to it by speculation.

Recent social media outbursts have set people panicking - be it the lack of toilet paper or the mobilization of the Army. In reality there are individuals looking at eventualities, but it will be done on an escalation footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kunekunesika

Posted off 2 section 42 applications during the week. I'd kinda hope that they are going to sit on an empty desk for a long while. And whoever normally drives that desk is busy elsewhere in the system doing something more important. But we'll see, it takes time for these situations to filter down to all sections of the public service. And just like my half nct, can't see me being arrested or locked up, any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

have a renewal i need to send in for the shotgun it will be interesting to see its progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I was just wondering about this last night.

Received my licence renewal for the rifle a few weeks ago. Filled it out immediately and dropped it down the station. The certificate arrived in the post 8 days later and the licence arrived on Friday so it's all working as normal here for now anyway. (North Wicklow).

Might be a very different story in a few months time when my shotgun is due. I was thinking they might grant automatic extensions in cases where the licence can't be renewed due to lack of Garda resources. Who knows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Max H

Well my grant letter arrived this morning, so application to grant letter was 7 weeks less 1 day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There was an announcement yesterday, and while you cannot trust anything you read on the interweb, it laid out a plan of action by AGS which included bringing recruits into "frontline" activities, releasing administrative members into frontline activities, and cancelling all retirements and leave for the near future.

If its true then anything being processed or close to being processed should go through, but we may see a delay in the coming weeks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Just to add fuel to the paranoia pyre, straight from the hallow ground of Facebook:

506246.jpg

NOTE: UK Only

• Advertisement

The person to person interviews for new applicants only i'd imagine. Existing license holders, variations, etc. shouldn't be an issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

The scuttle but on the group is that only exsisting licences will be renewed. No new applications or variations to be dealt with for the foreseeable future.

Bummer and stop giving ags ideas. :D

This is off topic but it shows the on going situation in France.

I just received an email from the Fédération Nationale des Chasseurs-
    Dear hunter friends,
    The situation of the measures to be applied is changing every day. Following a first press release from the President of the National Federation of Hunters, which had been validated by the ministry, new changes are taking effect today.

- Any regulatory or hunting action is now prohibited.
    - Trapping and guarding are now prohibited.
    - The training of small game, or wild boars is now prohibited.
    - You can always go and feed your animals who are not on your own place of residence, like dogs, horses, callers ... You must then bring your duly completed certificate and your hunting license.

FDC 32 reiterates the national message and urges you to exercise the utmost caution, and to do your utmost to stop the virus from spreading as quickly as possible.

-a poor Google translation of orginal email.

I was, by coincidence, talking to my friend over there and he had told me of the hunting ban, a bad time as the boar need culling. I had already received the orginal email on the ban on hunting in groups, but individual hunting at that time was not banned. Todays email stops all activities.

We'll just have to wait out more info.

I'm worried, without the tin foil hat, that all the entitlements and rights we have (in all aspects of life) that are slowly and not so slowly being given over because of this virus may not be given back to us or will be used as a stepping stone to completely remove them.

In the states some left leaning Governors are using the virus as an excuse to close down gun stores and stop all sales. Its in breach of the 2nd amendment but they're doing it.

And it's in direct violation of Federal post Katrina legislation,that permits an individual to retain their guns and carry open or concealed in any disaster area or other zone of impact. So iOW both of those women who enacted this can be politely told to take a flying jump,and again the NCIS computer for instant backround checks has crashed again,due to the sheer weight of guns bought again in the US.Its no so bad that even avowed anti gunners have been going online looking to buy guns online and have been queing up outside gunstores looking to buy anything that shoots.:D:D

Would be a very bad time to start anything stupid like gun confiscation,anywhere now.People are getting jumpy and somthing like this would be all that some would need to start the "Boogaloo". Especially after the guy who coined that term was shot dead in his bed,by a bunch of SWAT goons at 04:30 serving a high risk no knock warrant to search the house for illegal arms.Of which there were none.:mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Renewal in the post today, so with the current situation all seems normal.506706.jpg

zeissman wrote: »
    I think they will still process renewals but they might stop taking new applications.
    I was a bit worried myself as I had to apply for a new licence as I have a rifle away at the moment being rebarreled to a different calibre.
    I got the grant letter on Thursday.

I got my licence but I noticed one of the digits in the serial no was wrong so i had to go back with it.
    I enquired about my rifle and it's at the proof house in London for the last 5 or 6 weeks. With the lockdown now God knows when il get it back.
    I'm not that bothered to be honest, I just hope I'm still around when it does get back

zeissman wrote: »
    With the lockdown now God knows when il get it back.
    Be shooting it like this:

Cass wrote: »
    Be shooting it like this:

Being there, done that and had to wash the t shirt after it. Lucky to even hit a man sized target at 100 yards. It was near impossible to acquire a sight picture and if you did manage one, you'd line your self up on the target and just after your vison fogged up you'd spray and pray. Now thats just on the range practice. Running around the country side in full NBC (as it was called back then) get up was even better. If you didn't die of heat exhaustion, you'd slip in your rubber over boots and smack head first into the obstacle that you didn't see through your fogged up lenses.
    Better option was to be shot or gassed instead of the horror of wearing full NBC kit.

• Advertisement

Being there, done that and had to wash the t shirt after it. Lucky to even hit a man sized target at 100 yards. It was near impossible to acquire a sight picture and if you did manage one, you'd line your self up on the target and just after your vison fogged up you'd spray and pray. Now thats just on the range practice. Running around the country side in full NBC (as it was called back then) get up was even better. If you didn't die of heat exhaustion, you'd slip in your rubber over boots and smack head first into the obstacle that you didn't see through your fogged up lenses.
    Better option was to be shot or gassed instead of the horror of wearing full NBC kit.

Not to mind cheek weld goes out the door as well,forget scope usage and it gets more fun then in low light conditions and disorentation commands....Happy times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Vizzy wrote: »
    I submitted a renewal on Thursday, so I'll keep ye posted

Renewal arrived today, so 10 days.

I get the impression that the Gardaí ( locally at least ) are trying to clear the decks before Covid really kicks in.

DOOM & GLOOM.....

It's getting closer....

http://www.ballycastlechronicle.co.uk/news/2020/03/25/news/covid-19-crisis-changes-to-psni-firearms-explosives-branch-services-due-to-unprecedented-challenges-8628/

'The PSNI Firearms & Explosives Branch is advising the firearms community of changes to service due to the unprecedented challenges presented by Covid-19.
    Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd said: "We will prioritise re-grant applications. 
    “All other applications, however, such as Initial Applications, Variations, including one-on-one-offs, will not be processed at this time.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Just dropped a licence application tonight.. They had sign saying essential business only. But the still took it.
    Gave them a box of gloves. Well, half a box. They took them without question. I only brought the gloves in to the reception in case they refused to process the licence on account of having to touch it etc.
    The gards's eyes lit up when he seen the gloves on the desk. So I told him to take them.
    I have others.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Just dropped a licence application tonight.. They had sign saying essential business only. But the still took it.
    Gave them a box of gloves. Well, half a box. They took them without question. I only brought the gloves in to the reception in case they refused to process the licence on account of having to touch it etc.
    The gards's eyes lit up when he seen the gloves on the desk. So I told him to take them.
    I have others.

Gloves are the new donuts dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Zxthinger wrote: »
    I have others.

Fair play to you. Hopefully your application will be processed without delay but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually go down the route of the UK and ONLY process renewals until Covid 19 blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

handed in my renewal last week got the letter they received the application Monday, got the grant letter back today.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Fair play to you. Hopefully your application will be processed without delay but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually go down the route of the UK and ONLY process renewals until Covid 19 blows over.

I would think the same.
    I can't see many crime prevention officers wanting to go into homes to check security for new applications during the current crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Have renewal , contacted the district as local Garda station closed to the public , Was advised to hold off until the travel 'Ban' is up and get in then . Anyone else in this boat ?

• Advertisement

Garda Station closed to the public?

Is this a Covid 19 precaution or a left over from the recession. The GS website https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/coronavirus-covid-19-an-garda-siochana-announces-measures-in-relation-to-delay-phase-of-covid-19-13-3-20.html
    says all public offices will remain open.
    If its still open then I'd drop it in regardless, no notification has been issued as to the suspension of the normal routine re fire arms licencing.
    I won't wait until the travel ban is up, that may be quite a while yet.

Advertisement