Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Run around tractor

Options
  • 31-03-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

looking for a run around tractor for small farm that would do just the basic jobs such as topping licking and one that could lift a round bale. It’s for my elderly uncles farm and the land could do with some tidying.

He has a parked up 135 which is a non runner for the past two years (he has gotten less and less mobile the last two years) and requires far too much work to get something out of it (no cab or roll bar, radiator needs reconditioning, block may be cracked etc)

Located in the west of Ireland so anything around there but open to options. Budget would be around 5K or that, wouldn’t be used anywhere other then the farm so road worthiness wouldn’t be a necessity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You will really have to just look around. If you are happy enough with a 2wd you should be able to source a fairly decent one of buying a 2wd. A Massey 5 series would be an option not really popular as they only have one door but a decent strong tractor. Any amount of Zetor's, international or fords.

If you went 3-4k more you would really have a massive choice but for what you want I can understand your budget

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

As above, if a 2WD suits, you're ok with that budget. Is the 135 going as trade in? I've only ever dealt with one tractor dealer & he's midlands (brogans) so not much use to you maybe.Never had hassle with zetor here, last one was here 22 yrs & only bought a new (2nd hand) one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Surely you'd know if the block was cracked. If you were getting rid of the 135, you'll get a good price for it. People pay (relatively) big money for those.

He might not want something too fancy, but maybe you might find a 240 or something like that? Again though, they go for relatively big money.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/mf-240/24530542
    Am not saying anything about that one. I didn't really look at it, just did a search to show you ballpark prices

No roll bar is not good. Nothing to do with road regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

€5k would do a massive amount of work on the 135 and you’d have a very handy tractor that you were confident was going to be reliable.

If you want to lift a round bale you need something in the 60ish HP minimum

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

That’s true.
    Although I’ve seen 135’s work bakes with a set of front weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Ford 4600 can be found from time to time still I’d say a small tractor with the heart of a lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s true.
    Although I’ve seen 135’s work bakes with a set of front weights.

Yah I did look into doing up the 135 but the uncle often has tried to move the round bales around with it before it just isn’t really safe or reliable for that option the front wheels would be up in the sky and I just had to tell him stop because it’s not safe albeit he was only trying to get the job done

I seen a guy called nephin tractors in mayo is selling an international 785XL 2wd on done deal and is willing to take MF tractors as part exchange - €3500 (apologies won’t let me link the url)

Anybody have any experience with these type of tractors? 75 HP and cab is in average condition you can see it is slightly rotten in places.

I am not in mayo but I would be willing to have a gawk at this if it was reliable and it worked in my favour with the 135 being traded in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Anniepower wrote: »
    I seen a guy called nephin tractors in mayo is selling an international 785XL 2wd on done deal and is willing to take MF tractors as part exchange - €3500 (apologies won’t let me link the url)

Anybody have any experience with these type of tractors? 75 HP and cab is in average condition you can see it is slightly rotten in places.

I am not in mayo but I would be willing to have a gawk at this if it was reliable and it worked in my favour with the 135 being traded in

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/international-785xl/24412873?campaign=6

It looks decent enough for the money he's asking....but at the same time, the price would have me wondering why it's so cheap...

• Advertisement

There is a real problem in trying to find tractors in that sub 7K price bracket. A lot of them have been exported over the last 10 years. Below are about the few I could find. The case 1394 is about the pick of them but you will have to go to 6 or above to buy it. A year ago you would have picked up nice 20 year old 2wd for 10 K but they have disappeared as well

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-1394/24279285
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-1394/24279285
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-and-ford-4610-/22839790
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/landini-8550/22831078

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

hopeso wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/international-785xl/24412873?campaign=6

It looks decent enough for the money he's asking....but at the same time, the price would have me wondering why it's so cheap...

looks like a heap of sh1te to me

roof leaks in those and the floor of the cab is covered in water

the cab rots from the inside out and that door is ready to fall off, pieces of the cab have rusted away and is sprayed over them I'd say that black on the bottom of the doors is a cover up. front grille is loose on the bottom.
    hand brake failure is common and a costly fix.

having said that all the lights and cab glass are in tact ,& it may be mechanically sound and the interior is not too bad waht we can see,

it's not 75 hp either

The lad selling the case 1394 looks like a lad that dose up tractors he may take the 135. If not fling it up on DD for 1-2K and see if you find a victim. However he is in Mayo as well. However you will need someone to check it out for you. But that is an issue with any tractor in that price bracket

Slava Ukrainii

I assumed from the description that he might need to move around the odd bale of hay or straw on the backend. Something a bit smaller than 60 would still manage that ok.

I'd say the 135 itself would have no bother with a buckrake and a bale of hay on the back.

Bale of silage might be a different matter.

I assumed from the description that he might need to move around the odd bale of hay or straw on the backend. Something a bit smaller than 60 would still manage that ok.

I'd say the 135 itself would have no bother with a buckrake and a bale of hay on the back.

Bale of silage might be a different matter.

AP posted the round bales were rising the front wheels of the 135. TBH any time someone says about lifting a round I presume it is silage

Slava Ukrainii

AP posted the round bales were rising the front wheels of the 135. TBH any time someone says about lifting a round I presume it is silage

I hadn't noticed that post. I see it now.

I had assumed hay because the tractor isn't running at the minute and he'd hardly be forking around silage. But that was probably incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

Often there's nothing cheap about small tractors as they are scarce IN GOOD Condition. Can't rely on hay nowadays so if buying, you need to buy with silage bales in mind. That means a minimum of 60hp as poster specified above and even then wet bales will test it. And there's plenty of choice in the 60 to 90 hp bracket but have to take care as a lot of rubbish around too. Any dealer will take a 135, but getting much for it is another story.

Yah it would be silage bales our uncle had a very decent neighbor who would help him put a few bales in front of the bays whenever the uncle needed but he has since packed up and got out of farming.

Jimbo789 wrote: »

I like the look of the fiat 70-90 and they are a reliable tractor also with the option of the loader too a plus

• Advertisement

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Often there's nothing cheap about small tractors as they are scarce IN GOOD Condition. Can't rely on hay nowadays so if buying, you need to buy with silage bales in mind. That means a minimum of 60hp as poster specified above and even then wet bales will test it. And there's plenty of choice in the 60 to 90 hp bracket but have to take care as a lot of rubbish around too. Any dealer will take a 135, but getting much for it is another story.

I would say this machine would be worth a max of 1k in its current condition. Ideal for someone with time on there hands and knows what they are doing

orm0nd wrote: »
    looks like a heap of sh1te to me

roof leaks in those and the floor of the cab is covered in water

the cab rots from the inside out and that door is ready to fall off, pieces of the cab have rusted away and is sprayed over them I'd say that black on the bottom of the doors is a cover up. front grille is loose on the bottom.
    hand brake failure is common and a costly fix.

having said that all the lights and cab glass are in tact ,& it may be mechanically sound and the interior is not too bad waht we can see,

it's not 75 hp either

Cheers thanks for the honest assessment on this I had spotted it about 3 weeks ago and now it has been re advertised so maybe there’s a reason for that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭older by the day

Like everything in life you get what you pay for. A tractor parked in a shed every night will be not lose any money. They don't really devalue so you can sell again in future. Try and get an knowledgeable person to have a look around for you. The contractor who makes the bales maybe. Or a mechanic. There are a lot of lovely looking painted tractors on done deal but there worn out.

Cabs rot like hell on those. I can see one door is Swiss cheese already. The cab get really bad at the bottom in front of the doors. Ask for close up photos of that area before travelling. If I were buying one I’d like it to be in original paint sa as to see the condition. That’s been tarted up, perhaps to cover rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Suckler

A Massey 5 series would be an option not really popular as they only have one door but a decent strong tractor.

The only issue is the one door - It's been described to me as "One ignorant c0nt of a door". If it's for an elderly relative he might struggle with it....although he'll be doing well to find one where the cab can still hold the door. Other than that pretty bullet proof basic tractor, basically a slightly updated 100 series for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

A tidy Ford 4000/4600/4610 is within your budget there and will lift a bale of silage without any issue. They are wonderful tractors, rarely if ever suffer from the porous blocks and can do a great days work still.

Incidentally and slightly off topic a 7610 2wd with an AP cab is practically the same size as a 4600 with a Q cab. I bought a clean one last year with a loader for 8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

I like the look of the fiat 70-90 and they are a reliable tractor also with the option of the loader too a plus

That doesnt look too bad at all for the money. If i were you i would at least give that man a ring about it to see if it has any faults. If you didnt need the loader you could see it and get 1000/1500 for it. not much to go wrong in the fiats and parts are cheap enough generally. It has very low hours. The only thing putting me off is "sold as seen". Would be worth asking how much extra for a 3 month warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I've a tidy little Massey 240 here I was thinking about selling. Pretty much the same as a 135, everything working in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

mengele wrote: »
    That doesnt look too bad at all for the money. If i were you i would at least give that man a ring about it to see if it has any faults. If you didnt need the loader you could see it and get 1000/1500 for it. not much to go wrong in the fiats and parts are cheap enough generally. It has very low hours. The only thing putting me off is "sold as seen". Would be worth asking how much extra for a 3 month warrenty.
    Pat Brogan will leave it safe if you ask him although there will be a cost. We found him very honest to deal with all be it was several years ago. He can deliver as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I've a tidy little Massey 240 here I was thinking about selling. Pretty much the same as a 135, everything working in it.

How is that with round bales?

Advertisement