Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not officially confirmed yet, but looking like the ATP tour will be suspended for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

WTA also probably gone.

everything that was normal is not normal

bigger things like a global recession to be worrying about now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Federer timed his injury well then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not officially confirmed yet, but looking like the ATP tour will be suspended for 6 weeks.

I suppose weeks at No. 1 won't count during the suspension?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

josip wrote: »
    I suppose weeks at No. 1 won't count during the suspension?

I was going to say that Djokovic is going to be a big looser if there is a points freeze and a no1 freeze, and given the fact that he looked on excellent shape, but really, like in every other walk of life, it will be the guys/gals hanging around at the lower end of things who will be hit very hard

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, Roland Garros has been rescheduled, will be played from September 20th to October 4th. Will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

So this year RG will take place one week after the scheduled finish of the US Open. First thing that comes to mind is that it does not allow for much prep time after the hard court season before the main clay court GS. I wonder what the players will make of it?

All eyes on SW19 now which is due to begin on June 29th.

The next month will tell us a lot.

RG announced this apparently from nowhere, no one seemed to have a clue. The ITF, WTA and ATP all seemingly had no idea.

RG announced this apparently from nowhere, no one seemed to have a clue. The ITF, WTA and ATP all seemingly had no idea.

I know there are a lot of independent bodies knocking around in tennis, but this kind of unilateral move isn't going to down well. It will lead to diminished tournaments and split fields ( is Federer going to move the laver cup to avoid a clash for instance?)

Doesn't help that there is max one month of downtime in the season as it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

This is so odd. It really seems as if RG just announced the change without consulting anybody. I can imagine the ITF, USTA and other bodies are hopping mad at this. Bad form, many players venting their frustrations on Twitter. Will they start matches earlier due to shorter hours of daylight? Or go completely off the wall and do Best of 3 to save time?

A WEEK between the end of US Open and start of French? That's nuts! Nadal defending lots of points. As is Barty who won the FO and reached 4th round in Flushing.

I can definitely see a diminished field on the men's side due to Laver Cup. Many of the Americans aren't great on clay so they might play LC. And there's the jetlag to contend with.

Djokovic and Kenin going for the AO-Wimbledon double.:eek:

Sidenote: This is such a weird time my head is actually frazzled trying to keep up with everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Strange times indeed. The players must be (rightfully) fuming - if it's true that they weren't consulted. However, for those posting that it may clash with the Laver Cup, and we could see diminished fields as a result, c'mon - no way is any player even going to contemplate playing what is largely an exhibition event over a GS.

Strange times indeed. The players must be (rightfully) fuming - if it's true that they weren't consulted. However, for those posting that it may clash with the Laver Cup, and we could see diminished fields as a result, c'mon - no way is any player even going to contemplate playing what is largely an exhibition event over a GS.

Federer might consider it, seeing as Laver Cup (a glorified exhibition) is his baby and he very sees it as a revenue generating venture going forward. and he might well bring a few guys who have no hope at the FO with him.

Both tours suspended until June 7th at least.

Well, It's just been announced that Laver Cup will proceed. Lets see who is more important to tennis - Federer or the FO. Madness that it has come to this nonsense really.

Any truth in the rumour that my mate's brother-in-law cat heard down the pub last Friday, that this virus was released by Federer in a last ditch attempt to hold on to the GS/weeks at ATP #1 record ?

Any truth in the rumour that my mate's brother-in-law cat heard down the pub last Friday, that this virus was released by Federer in a last ditch attempt to hold on to the GS/weeks at ATP #1 record ?

he should have just snuck some gluten into Djokovic's diet...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Quite bizarre of the FO authorities to go on a solo run like that.

I reckon there are a few more miles to go in this story.

Tour suspended until June 7th now, Wimbledon will be next up on the chopping block after this.

• Advertisement

Thiago Seyboth Wild has tested positive for Covid-19. He won his first title in Chile last month, not long before the tour was shut down. He turned 20 a couple of weeks back.

I'm a bit surprised at the all-out cancellation, would it not be possible to postpone and re-schedule until later in the year? The organisers of the ATP tour and SW19 could surely come to some mutually-beneficial arrangement? Being a grass-court event, I guess that it mightn't be possible for later in the year when the weather isn't exactly conducive to grass-court tennis...Obviously, this is assuming the virus has been managed by the end of the year :confused:

I'm a bit surprised at the all-out cancellation, would it not be possible to postpone and re-schedule until later in the year? The organisers of the ATP tour and SW19 could surely come to some mutually-beneficial arrangement? Being a grass-court event, I guess that it mightn't be possible for later in the year when the weather isn't exactly conducive to grass-court tennis...Obviously, this is assuming the virus has been managed by the end of the year :confused:

I think cancellation is the only game in town for SW19. Lets say they were to reschedule it to later in the year, would the players have a few grass court tournaments to play beforehand? That is before we get to the logistical headache of where you squeeze it in the calendar at a time when everything is up in the air. The weather does factor into it, yes, but that is the least of their concerns imo.

After the long layoff, the players are going to need a while to get back into the swing (pun not intended) of things. The only benefit is that it will probably give some of their worn out knees and ankles a much needed rest.

I see the calendar as being pretty decimated this year. It's horrible, but that is where we find ourselves. Best we can hope for is that the USO goes ahead, but with the way things are at the moment I wouldn't be betting too much on that happening either.

With New York being the epicentre of the American outbreak I can't see that going ahead either. At this point I've accepted that 2020 will be a write off for pretty much everything, probably more a question of how much of 2021 will it disrupt.

Mad times. Although somewhat academic now, you would have to wonder how much of an impact this will have in the GS race between the Big3. If this year is indeed a write-off, that's potentially three slams gone-a-begging for them to pick-up. Although they won't have clocked-up much additional mileage in the legs by the time 2021 rolls around (can't believe we're discussing that already :eek:), they will be a year older and wearier...

Mad times. Although somewhat academic now, you would have to wonder how much of an impact this will have in the GS race between the Big3. If this year is indeed a write-off, that's potentially three slams gone-a-begging for them to pick-up. Although they won't have clocked-up much additional mileage in the legs by the time 2021 rolls around (can't believe we're discussing that already :eek:), they will be a year older and wearier...

Yeah, I've thought the same. Whatever happens, there'll be big what if's and fans trying to apply asterisks. Federer never wins another slam, people'd wonder had he another Wimbledon in him in 2020. Nadal never wins anything else outside RG, people'd wonder if he had another US Open in him after winning two of the last three. Djokovic never gets quite back on form, or perhaps ends up not overtaking Federer, then it'd forever be a wonder if the Coronavirus stopped him from becoming the greatest of all time. I don't like Djokovic but I'd really feel for him if this happened.

Going on age alone though it has to hurt Federer the most. Serena too on the WTA side, this may be the death knell for any hopes she had of overtaking Margaret Court. Only positive of this situation is it'll give lots of people the time they need to recover from injuries, particularly the likes of Andreescu and Nishikori who're forever injured.

The only one it will definitely suit is Federer who isn't going to win another Slam.
    If the FO goes ahead, Nadal will be happy enough winning that and equaling Federer.
    Djokovic would probably be most disappointed by Wimbledon and US Open being cancelled, but if the FO doesn't go ahead, then at least he got 1 GS closer to Federer this year with the AO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Fed wanted one last crack at that Olympic gold though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The only one it will definitely suit is Federer who isn't going to win another Slam.
    If the FO goes ahead, Nadal will be happy enough winning that and equaling Federer.
    Djokovic would probably be most disappointed by Wimbledon and US Open being cancelled, but if the FO doesn't go ahead, then at least he got 1 GS closer to Federer this year with the AO.

The same Fed who was one point away from adding to his total at the last Wimbledon? I wouldn't write him off just yet. He might still hang around for the Olympics.

Advertisement