Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I asked this in another thread but it got lost.

My husband works in the warehouse packing orders for an online beauty company, his boss text today to say business as usual next week.

Is this allowed under new rules? Surely they should be closing for the 2 weeks as make up and fake tan aren’t an essential service.

This is it some Company's will refuse to close, what would he say if he was stopped by guards on way in and asked were his going, and guards seen his work and non essential will he be told to turn round and go home?
    can you report a company for being non complaint?
    Other wise what's the point shall we all go to work tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

All non essential staff in my place are at home and being set up to work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All non essential staff in my place are at home and being set up to work from home

Yes were its possible, not for a factory worker or many other workers,the UK have introduced up to £5000 fine for a business found to be non compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Yes were its possible, not for a factory worker or many other workers,the UK have introduced up to £5000 fine for a business found to be non compliant.

Needed here, but should be relative to company profits. €5000 wouldn't make a dent to some of the multinationals here. My workplace is classed essential even though anything we get out the factory door today is still at best around 3-6 months from being a consumer product. Even longer for product only starting on our line today... absolutely sickening that their profits are essential enough to risk our health.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

I'd like to know that too. I work for a large multinational who are manufacturing products nobody wants or needs right now. I've been told to report for work tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, not sure where else to ask really.

I'm 22, healthy other than the fact that I've asthma.

I'm also working 'part time' in a supermarket, I worked 50 hours last week.

My parents are going ballistic because I'm working, they think I should be at home.

My supervisor rang me yesterday to say that I shouldn't be in working and that I should call my GP and arrange for the 2 weeks medical leave, but that I wasn't to come into work for my own sake.

So where do I stand?

Should I just call my GP and say I've asthma and that I'm working in a shop?
    Or is it a case of 'my employer has asked me to self isolate?

Am I eligible for the 2 weeks paid medical leave or more than that?

Honestly haven't a clue..
    I just need to get it sorted by Tuesday.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Note - I am not asking for medical advice, so I'd like to steer clear of those discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Your employer has a right to send you home.. I think his risk assessment is spot on.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

To qualify for the new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, you must:

Be aged between 18 and 66
    Live in the Republic of Ireland
    Have been in employment or self-employment immediately before Friday 13 March 2020
    Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/923825-guidance-on-cocooning-to-protect-people-over-70-years-and-those-extr/#what-we-

What we mean by extremely medically vulnerable*
    people aged 70 years or over
    solid organ transplant recipients
    people with specific cancers
    (a) people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer

(b) people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment

(c) people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer

(d) people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors

(e) people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs

people with severe respiratory conditions including cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD
    people with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell)
    people on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection
    women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

MrMiata wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place, not sure where else to ask really.

I'm 22, healthy other than the fact that I've asthma.

I'm also working 'part time' in a supermarket, I worked 50 hours last week.

My parents are going ballistic because I'm working, they think I should be at home.

My supervisor rang me yesterday to say that I shouldn't be in working and that I should call my GP and arrange for the 2 weeks medical leave, but that I wasn't to come into work for my own sake.

So where do I stand?

Should I just call my GP and say I've asthma and that I'm working in a shop?
    Or is it a case of 'my employer has asked me to self isolate?

Am I eligible for the 2 weeks paid medical leave or more than that?

Honestly haven't a clue..
    I just need to get it sorted by Tuesday.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Note - I am not asking for medical advice, so I'd like to steer clear of those discussions.
    well seems employer is looking after you, given thou you put in time, so request letter stating that they asked you to self isolate, which would enable you to go on SW for couple weeks, rather then wasting time with GPs.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Does anyone know, if an employee falls under the category of those needing to cocoon (they have COPD) can they be forced to work? Their role doesn’t strictly fall under essential services. And if not, is the employer obliged to pay them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd say a few companies would take the £5000 hit as it'd cost less than shuttering their operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

This is it some Company's will refuse to close, what would he say if he was stopped by guards on way in and asked were his going, and guards seen his work and non essential will he be told to turn round and go home?
    Other wise what's the point shall we all go to work tomorrow.

Alcohol is not essential either, so where do they draw the line?

A bit rich allowing beer to be sold but not paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I think they could close all shops on a sunday and maybe a Wednesday as well give staff a break and get people used to having a bit in.

easypazz wrote: »
    Alcohol is not essential either, so where do they draw the line?

A bit rich allowing beer to be sold but not paint.

Nothing is essential apart from some basic nutrition and water. Is that all you bought or did you buy some foods and drinks because you like them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

kerryjack wrote: »
    I think they could close all shops on a sunday and maybe a Wednesday as well give staff a break and get people used to having a bit in.

Will only make things busier and increase the spread.

Staff get days off anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

There are a lot of people crying out for an employer like that at the moment.

Your parents and your employer are not wrong.

Ring your GP and claim 6our entitlements.

Stay safe

Do you think, would stop people running in for a litre of milk every evening.

Do you think, it would stop people running in for a litre of milk every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Name and shame seems to be only answer. A lot of cos would have brands that and goodwill have a big financial worth to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Needed here, but should be relative to company profits. €5000 wouldn't make a dent to some of the multinationals here. My workplace is classed essential even though anything we get out the factory door today is still at best around 3-6 months from being a consumer product. Even longer for product only starting on our line today... absolutely sickening that their profits are essential enough to risk our health.

Well known semiconductor manufacturer just outside Dublin?

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    Your employer has a right to send you home.. I think his risk assessment is spot on.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

To qualify for the new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, you must:

Be aged between 18 and 66
    Live in the Republic of Ireland
    Have been in employment or self-employment immediately before Friday 13 March 2020
    Have lost your job or be temporarily laid off from work or asked to stay at home from work due to the pandemic

Her but yeah she's looking out for me.

They have night shifts on too, whereby I'd just be stocking shelves at night..
    I'm wondering if I'd be entitled to the 2 weeks medical leave and after that I'd go back working nights.. I hate the thought of being stuck at home for the foreseeable future!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Work on a construction site over 100km from home. Been told to work unless we can't drive ourselves. No car pooling.

Anyone know if I'm eligible for any payment as the company is still functioning but I'm unable to go to work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Fair play to you for wanting to be working.

I would check with your GP if they will certify you fit to work at present - outline if fit to work at nights with no customers or if you are ok to work during the day in a customer facing role.

CV19 is worse for some people with underlying conditions so I understand your employer being cautious, fair play to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Is there anyone to contact to report (or at least query) a company staying open that isn’t an essential service?

An online beauty product company is claiming they are an essential service because they happen to sell a few fancy sanctuary spa hand soaps. They actually want my husband to work more hours than normal next week

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

[The construction company I work is one of the largest in Ireland. and a disgrace for how they handled covid 19

Before the closure, half the site had returned to their families out of fear, and non faith of how the company was treating the situation.

A subcontractor of 5 operatives who all live and travel together, two operatives showed Flu like symptoms,

I sent away all of them and advised them to self isolate 14 days or when a test is undertaken, which is HSE guidelines. The project manager brought them back, risking the sites wellbeing if these men had covid 19, for the sake of progress

Half the workforce of the job left the site due to seeing these potentially covid 19 carriers.

A project manager, who held back hand sanitizer from the workforce, waiting to fill the dispensers if/only the HSE turned up to site. We had no hand sanitizer for days.

Temperature testing reading 32c to 34c on men, a complete shambles, but told just to keep doing it. No effort to get a working thermometer. And no mask for the man testing,

No masks for our guys working close quarters 1m company policy, when I said to project manager that we have no masks and they should stop as some construction activities need two persons close quarter and masks,

I was told that was not my descison. A blind eye turned to the men working together and no social distancing, totally against the hse and governmentb

Health and safety director, when I challenged him, he said until a sick man gets tested and turns positive for covid q9, they can work onsite as we don’t have the labour levels to turn away men.

There was a lot more, but the more I write, the angrier I get

My job was then threatened saying, if I didn’t feel comfortable staying, plenty site managers from the fit out side of the company would take my position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtyHarry88

MrMiata wrote: »
    Her but yeah she's looking out for me.

They have night shifts on too, whereby I'd just be stocking shelves at night..
    I'm wondering if I'd be entitled to the 2 weeks medical leave and after that I'd go back working nights.. I hate the thought of being stuck at home for the foreseeable future!

Christ on a bike you have asthma, you'll get a payment, stay at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Stormington

[The construction company I work is one of the largest in Ireland. and a disgrace for how they handled covid 19

Before the closure, half the site had returned to their families out of fear, and non faith of how the company was treating the situation.

A subcontractor of 5 operatives who all live and travel together, two operatives showed Flu like symptoms,

I sent away all of them and advised them to self isolate 14 days or when a test is undertaken, which is HSE guidelines. The project manager brought them back, risking the sites wellbeing if these men had covid 19, for the sake of progress

Half the workforce of the job left the site due to seeing these potentially covid 19 carriers.

A project manager, who held back hand sanitizer from the workforce, waiting to fill the dispensers if/only the HSE turned up to site. We had no hand sanitizer for days.

Temperature testing reading 32c to 34c on men, a complete shambles, but told just to keep doing it. No effort to get a working thermometer. And no mask for the man testing,

No masks for our guys working close quarters 1m company policy, when I said to project manager that we have no masks and they should stop as some construction activities need two persons close quarter and masks,

I was told that was not my descison. A blind eye turned to the men working together and no social distancing, totally against the hse and governmentb

Health and safety director, when I challenged him, he said until a sick man gets tested and turns positive for covid q9, they can work onsite as we don’t have the labour levels to turn away men.

There was a lot more, but the more I write, the angrier I get

My job was then threatened saying, if I didn’t feel comfortable staying, plenty site managers from the fit out side of the company would take my position.
    That's disgraceful. Is there a body to report them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

That's disgraceful. Is there a body to report them to?

The Construction industry federation, but thankfully irish government made correct decision that my industry is non essential, as it was clear that certain (not all) People in the industry are incapable of providing a safe working environment in these times.

I‘ll leave this company, after using all the holiday pay and move on to a company that cares about their staff.

Christ on a bike you have asthma, you'll get a payment, stay at home!

I might actually lose the plot if I'm at home for 12 weeks..
    I'd much rather be in work.

Nights would be fine, it'd just be myself and 4 others and we're well spread out.

My asthma is fairly mild.

• Advertisement

Unicorn55 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for wanting to be working.

I would check with your GP if they will certify you fit to work at present - outline if fit to work at nights with no customers or if you are ok to work during the day in a customer facing role.

CV19 is worse for some people with underlying conditions so I understand your employer being cautious, fair play to them too.

I just don't fancy being cooped up with my family for 12 weeks!

I mentioned to my supervisor about nights and she said to just get a doctors note to cover myself..

So I'm guessing my best bet is to call my doctor tomorrow?
    Is the 12 weeks off a max of 12 or does everyone across the board get 12?

Advertisement