Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

How are we all feeling leading into the season? (Assuming it happens of course)

Some sense and plan to our signings and contracts so far. Happier than I thought I would be.

Division is going to be a slugfest though. Back to the good old days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

How are we all feeling leading into the season? (Assuming it happens of course)

Some sense and plan to our signings and contracts so far. Happier than I thought I would be.

Division is going to be a slugfest though. Back to the good old days!

The Chiefs are clearly in the lead and to win against them you probably need to score 40 points.

Saying that - some big pieces have been added -

Casey is a major pick-up and with only two years committed money - he is an ideal fit for Fangio's defence.

Surprised to see Harris back - but at the price it is a great piece of business

Callahan is going to be fit - and take some of the sting from CHJ joining the Chargers

Glasgow is a major upgrade along the OL

On top of that - most of the important pieces are back

Many Broncos fans don't like the Gordon signing - but this is about giving Lock as much protection as possible, someone to grind out hard yards and to act as an outlet in passing situations. In my view it was a necessary signing. The Vannett signing was in the same mould - give Lock protection.

Now - there are still some holes - Morris might play C, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a C picked up in the draft. We still need a WR2 - and Ruggs is mocked to the Broncos - either him or a R2 pick will end up in that spot. We need another CB - Amukamara is the obvious choice - we could do with an ILB and that will probably be another draft pick. If there was a good LT available in the draft then I would take him, see if Bolles could play G and move Glasgow to C. I'd also like to see a R3/R4 pick at RB - this is a very deep draft for RBs - and we will pick up at least one DB. The Broncos have a stack of picks and a lot of flexibility. We are close to being in a position to take BPA with every one of them - and/or to move up if someone slides. Elway has five picks in the top 100 and another six in the rest of the draft.

Assuming Lock is the real deal - we need another year before we are in a position to compete - there is now a lot of young talent on the team that will get better with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

Overall im happy enough so far. I guess you never know how things with pan out in the NFL with injuries etc.

I see Harris has signed a 1 year deal and Wolfe is going to the Ravens. Wouuld have liked to keep around aswell.

I think Lock is still my major worry. Once teams have a bit more tape on him he might start forcing things / turnovers. I think he had some very lucky moments last season.

Defo need a speedster with first pick in the draft. Open up the deep threat and lot more and that should help Sutton out aswell.

Running back with interesting to see how that plays out. I think Gorgon will get 70% of the snaps to start with and they will adjust from there.

Boles still worries me even though he finished the season a bit better.

We had a very tough schedule last season aswell so will be good to see that along with draft picks before judging if playoffs could be achievable ....(lets hope extra stop comes in this season)

I think having Lindsay AND Gordon in the backfield is fantastic.

Completely changes our running game and gives Lock an incredible out if needed.

I completely agree with JRG above. I genuinely feel more confident about the whole team for the first time since after we won 50*. My, that feels like it was aeons ago. I was still dreading the last 2 years that we'd blow it up and lose the likes of Miller etc. Hopefully we'll get a 2020 season.

*I do remember having fleeting confidence when we went 2-0 under Joseph. But I was clearly delirious.

*I do remember having fleeting confidence when we went 2-0 under Joseph. But I was clearly delirious.

Worse decision of Elway's time as GM - and it really wasn't his fault. They zeroed in on Joseph and then Kyle Shanahan blew them away in the interview and Elway wanted to hire him - but was blocked by Joe Ellis.

Elway tried to fix it the following year by sacking Joseph and bringing back Mike Shanahan with Kubiak as OC and a deal in place for Kirk Counsins - only to be blocked again by Ellis.

Two wasted years - reminiscent of the two wasted years with McDisaster.

• Advertisement

Worse decision of Elway's time as GM - and it really wasn't his fault. They zeroed in on Joseph and then Kyle Shanahan blew them away in the interview and Elway wanted to hire him - but was blocked by Joe Ellis.

Elway tried to fix it the following year by sacking Joseph and bringing back Mike Shanahan with Kubiak as OC and a deal in place for Kirk Counsins - only to be blocked again by Ellis.

Two wasted years - reminiscent of the two wasted years with McDisaster.

Yup. I remember it all TOO well.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I'm optimistic but I felt that way the last few seasons too.The defense has the potential to be very good getting a full season out of the likes of chubb Miller and Callahan will be key .Hopefully Lock can take strives forward this season and we see some of these exciting offensive players take off.
    I see us somewhere between 8 and 11 wins and a playoff spot should definitely be our aim but we are in a tough division with a tough schedule. We know the Chiefs are ahead of us and tbh were probaly on the same level as the raiders and chargers atm .If we come out of next season knowing we dont have to worry about our starting Qb for a while I would be pretty happy no matter how the season goes .

Am I right in thinking our non-divisional rivals this year are AFC East and NFC South so we have:

Our division
    Patriots
    Bills

Jets
    Dolphins
    Saints
    Falcons
    Buccs

Panthers
    Titans
    Steelers
    ?

That's a grim prospect!

Pats is grimmer (NFC West, Texans, Ravens). Small mercies.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

yeah that's right .We have the saints and bucs at home ,Atlanta and Carolina arnt half as tough road games.Trips to Foxborough and Pittsburgh are never easy even though them two look as if they might be weak enough next season .

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

Any thoughts now the draft , fa and schedule are about.

Would have like to seen a LT addressed, but they have given Lock plenty of targets to work with. If he doesnt have a decent season we will be in the market for a QB again.

Looks like Broncos were scheduled to be in London as an away game with Falcons which would have been great. Bummed that wont happen.

Schedule has its of pros and cons:
    3 of 5 first games are on the road.
    Week 4 at Jets is quick turnaround
    Thankfully no 3 straight raod game stretch
    Week 8 . Not the worst bye week

Who knows what will happen but we can dream.
    Might manage an 8-8 or 9-7 if things go well :0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Who knows what will happen but we can dream.
    Might manage an 8-8 or 9-7 if things go well :0)

I know most NFL fans view the upcoming season through rose-tinted glasses, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. For the Joseph years, I couldn't even have the pleasure of a little false hope entering a season.

This year is different though, and let me explain why....

Starting with last year. We finished 7-9, not bad for a team that had to start the ghost of Joe Flacco, Brandon Allen and a rookie QB. Said rookie went 4-1 stepping in to a 3-8 team. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect he can improve on his performance over his first 5 games, and that would be a huge upgrade over the level of QB play we saw last year.

Courtland Sutton looked like a star at times (even with the aforementioned Flacco and Allen throwing his way and no legitimate #2 WR threat on the team) That was addressed and more in this draft with the addition of Jeudy and Hamler in rounds 1 and 2 respectively.

Now I generally can't get behind the idea that we know who had a good draft until the players hit the field, but I certainly like the attitude of building around your QB and giving him the tools he needs to succeed. I was tough on Fant his rookie year (some fo the drops and effort shown on some plays was worrying) but he seemed to hit his groove in the second half of the season, and showed a lot to be hopeful for going into his second year.

The OL is an area for concern, and not much was done to address what was a huge weakness for the team, but Lock was only sacked 3 times over the final 5 games of the season (compared with 35 between Flacco and Allen in the previous 12). Mike Munchak has another year to work with an unchanged squad, so there is a bit of continuity at least (possibly straw-grasping here a bit!!)

The defense, while not quite living up to my expectation last year, showed some flashes of being a dominant unit, and another year learning Fangio's scheme should see improvement (I think I remember reading that his schemes can be complex and need a bit of bedding in) , not to mention we will hopefully get Bradley Chubb back, fit and healthy. We missed him for almost the entire season, and to have him and Miller bookend the line should be fun to see again.

CHJ loss will be felt I'm sure, but adding Bouye and getting Callahan back (he missed the entirety of last year I think) mean that overall secondary will be stronger.

Lastly, the Broncos blew a lot of close games last year, 3 spring to mind during the early part of the season where we could have won all 3, should have won 2, but ultimately won zero. That was the difference between a losing season and a berth in the playoffs. While we do share a division with the Chiefs, I'd like to think we are significantly better than the Raiders and Chargers at the moment, and expect to see a wild card berth (expanded playoffs this year too??) definitely anything less than a Wild Card with a playoff win would be disappointing for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

How do we feel about the coming (possibly) season?

I'm optimistic about the development of Lock.

Can't for the life of me see the value in adding Melvin Gordon. I thought the running back crew were coming along nicely and you can't beat having a hometown hero like Lindsay moving the chains.

I'm a lot more confident heading into this season than I had been since the (in)glorious Vance Joseph years.

Though, the thoughts of a decade or more dealing with mahomes and the chiefs is not something I'm relishing.

Really looking forward to seeing what lock can do with all of his new weapons.

I'm a lot more confident heading into this season than I had been since the (in)glorious Vance Joseph years.

Though, the thoughts of a decade or more dealing with mahomes and the chiefs is not something I'm relishing.

Really looking forward to seeing what lock can do with all of his new weapons.

I concur on the optimism but I'm less concerned about Mahomes given how the NFC North have had to deal with Rodgers over their time. The Chiefs will make a mess of it somewhere along the line.

Yippee... Blake goddam Bortles is coming to Mile High.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/blake-bortles-set-to-visit-broncos-four-qb-options-for-denver-while-drew-lock-is-sidelined/

Trevor Siemian being on this list is as mind boggling tbh.

We love some veteran dreck.

Broncos injury list -

Miller (out for season)
    Casey (out for season)
    Sutton (out for season)
    Strnad (out for season)

On IR
    Bouye (expected back week7)
    Jones (expected back week7)
    Fort (expected back week7)
    Walker (expected back week7)
    Calitro (expected back week7)
    Barron (expected back week7)

Also out
    Lock (expected back week7)
    Lindsey (expected back week 5)

Questionable for game V Jets (did not practice yesterday)
    Callahan
    Jackson
    Wilkinson
    Shelby Harris
    Attachou

On limited snap count
    Chubb

Playing with a rib injury - Jeudy

Opt-out (covid)
    James

The Broncos are missing players accounting for $58million of cap space ($20million more than any other team) - including 4 of the top 5 earners on the roster) - and missing starting QB, best offensive player and best defensive player.

It is likely that Bortles will start against the Jets on Thursday.

Wilkinson has just been put on IR

Rypien starting against Jets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Rypien starting against Jets

8th different starting QB since Manning retired!

Trevor Siemian
    Paxton Lynch (!)
    Brock Osweiler (ii)
    Case Keenum
    Joe Flacco
    Drew Lock
    Brandon Allen
    Brett Rypien

Good grief.

The wheels came off this season in hurry. I've actually never seen anything like it. I read an article that Denver only have 50% of (this years) possible cap spend available to them this week!

The 49ers have arguably as bad an injury list however and seem competitive, although I wager that will ultimately catch up with them as well.

Fant and Hamler injured and likely to miss game with the Pats

• Advertisement

Sure what's another 2 added to the list

The absolute idiocy in not hiring Kyle Shanahan is coming home to roost.

To tank or not to tank?

The chances of a wildcard are almost gone now. Would it not be as well to take the chances with long term prospects and bench those about to be cut?

Taking for the sake of it is pointless and demoralising.

Tanking while playing rookies and trying new schemes has merit.

Taking for the sake of it is pointless and demoralising.

Tanking while playing rookies and trying new schemes has merit.

Yeah. I don't see it as intentional and I doubt that it is something that the fans would allow to happen with serious protest.

Any chance Elway exits soon?

If Lock doesn't do anything by the end of this year it's probably time for Elway to consider "WTF" is he doing for us really.
    The last draft went very well, so I'm confident enough that we were just screwed by injuries this time 'round.

We'll take that. Things starting to happen for Lock.

The absolute idiocy in not hiring Kyle Shanahan is coming home to roost.
    And not hiring John Lynch.

Elway wanted to hire Shanahan but was blocked by Ellis who has a personal beef with Mike.

But that ship has sailed.

We'll take that. Things starting to happen for Lock.
    I see that your mood has changed just as much as mine between HT and the end of the game.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for a bit more than an inevitable Chargers collapse before getting too elated.

The clock management had me losing my mind.

Mind you, that was the first time I think I've punched the air for a Broncos game in a long long time.

Advertisement