Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When and how will it end?

• 28-03-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

When do people think the coronavirus situation will end and what will happen to end it? Do people think it will disappear or what will happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Vaccine will be ready by 8 weeks, as you were

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There'll be a morning where you'll wake up to Leo Veradkar staring at you from the screen of your virtual assistant/connected device wondering how it all came to this....

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Basically when policy makers have decided the majority good outweighs the minority. Roughly another 4 weeks. The elderly and the vulnerable will be asked to cocoon. The rest of us will be expected to help jump start the economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

keep thinkin of that old movie cocoon when ever this old people must cocoon is peddled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Basically when policy makers have decided the majority good outweighs the minority. Roughly another 4 weeks. The elderly and the vulnerable will be asked to cocoon. The rest of us will be expected to help jump start the economy.

If this will be the case, then why not now?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

When Tom Cruise comes to save us, its one big movie don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

fryup wrote: »
    When Tom Cruise comes to save us, its one big movie don't you know

Truman Show.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

When do people think the coronavirus situation will end and what will happen to end it? Do people think it will disappear or what will happen?

We are still in the climbing phase, Lots of twits went away last weekend , up to Dublin, some to London, Fxxk knows who they came into contact there and since, mountains ,beaches and forests were mobbed last weekend so more cases kicking off next weekend, my guess is late in the year, lockdown here to May or June or even later, things will be dull but the house will be gleaming

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

This is my prediction, I bet I will be proven right:
    - This won't really end. They might re-open after Easter but that's exactly when the disease will return.

- There will be shortages of pretty much everything once things are reopen. It takes 4 weeks for anything to arrive from China.
    - There will probably be another lockdown in November as the virus usually returns in winter - total mess again.
    - The US economy will go into depression, there will be a lot of 'dead cat' bounces along the way. It was already a house of cards before the virus.
    - people will start using infrared cameras everywhere like at Asian airports to see who is sick
    - Public places will finally be cleaned properly like a crime scene. People will start washing hands. It will be normal to wear a mask in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

begbysback wrote: »
    Vaccine will be ready by 18 months, as you were

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I gather that’s the official position

In Narnia ....

Vaccine in three months. roll-out of the vaccine another two months. Six months by the time everyone is treated.

A year later, a mutated version of covid appears. Some risk but is handled much quicker.

I honestly don't think it will end. We're going to be seeing more of these kind of viruses appearing.

I'd say it will take 2 years to go back to normal. A lot of zombie businesses like GE will collapse and businesses will start caring about hygiene finally. Governments will keep a strategic stockpile of everything to prevent future shortages.

At the other end of this mess we will end up with a more stable and sane global economy, better conditions for staff and customers on the business side of things.

- There will be shortages of pretty much everything once things are reopen. It takes 4 weeks for anything to arrive from China.

Not to derail but inaccurate. I got a box of masks on Wednesday after two weeks (a gift from my university). it's hit and miss apparently. Some packages are getting through... it really depends on which flight routes are shut down.

It’s hard to see any end in sight unless a vaccine comes along or the illness mutates into something even less severe.

Most likely we’ll simply have to go back to normal and take the hit.

And by take the hit, I mean possibly a good few thousand could die.

When Hulk Hogan decides to bodyslam the Coronavirus, in a one-on-one, 'winner take all' match for the ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If this will be the case, then why not now?

The health service needs to be able to play catch up that's what the two weeks are about although I suspect they will try to extend it by an extra week. All my extended family have our parents cocooned this last two weeks. It sucks for them but they understand.

Not to derail but inaccurate. I got a box of masks on Wednesday after two weeks (a gift from my university). it's hit and miss apparently. Some packages are getting through... it really depends on which flight routes are shut down.

Flight? I think most stuff arrives by boat as it's cheaper. Are the ports open?

I ordered say a Baofeng UHF radio and it still hasn't arrived.

When Hulk Hogan decides to bodyslam the Coronavirus, in a one-on-one, 'winner take all' match for the ages.

Donald Trump presents live from the White House lawn , McGregor on the under card facing off against Clyde from Any which way but loose,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Eight weeks, really?
    Excellent, all back to normal by summertime :)

• Advertisement

For this to really end for good they need to stop eating wild animals in China.
    That actually makes me think what about all these places here that sell wild game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

About tree fiddy

Flight? I think most stuff arrives by boat as it's cheaper. Are the ports open?

Couriers. I wouldn't trust normal post through/from China at the best of times. My parents once sent me a selection of Chocolate goodies from Ireland to China... never arrived. Around the world, and back to them after 8 months. :D

For this to really end for good they need to stop eating wild animals in China.
    That actually makes me think what about all these places here that sell wild game.

Might want to add a large part of Africa, Asia and South America too. Wet markets are pretty common around the world outside of the 1st world nations. As is eating weird meats.

Eight weeks, really?
    Excellent, all back to normal by summertime :)

Don't think they are figuring the logistics of developing ,producing and vaccinating billions of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Economic reality begins to get the headlines as we become immune to the death tolls. The majority begin to push for a return to normal life as Summer approaches.

Staggered return to employment with people working from home for the next 6 months, but also going into the office which now have rules regarding social distancing which last beyond the initial panic period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

No vaccine till next year. I'd give it two cycles each cycle being 3 weeks. So that's six weeks till the lock down is lifted at a minimum. Why six? Well the outermost limit to developing symptoms from infection is 21 days. So from first lock down that's 3 weeks. One cycle. Then another cycle of 3 weeks to see if spike is receding. Its all about the trend on the graph over a period of time. Then factor in latency or lag and quality of enforcement. For example, health workers infecting the community. Lots of variables. Probably early to mid summer at the earliest. As long as it doesn't mutate.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Jeju

It's my belief and I am a modest person of simple beliefs that to defeat this virus we all have to get it, fight it and hope for the best outcome. This is not an option for elderly or people with underlying conditions that we are all aware of and also it now seems overweight and obese people of all ages. This is a disease of the first world, those who live in isolation and poverty will probably not succumb to it a kind of reversal of the Live Aid of the 80s. We have the science and will power to come to a solution in preventing or curing COVID19, until then I'm remaining pessimistic as to condition myself for the worse but hope for the best.

I think ultimately we will have to risk the herd immunity route while attempting to “ cocoon “ the vulnerable

• Advertisement

Jeju wrote: »
    It's my belief and I am a modest person of simple beliefs that to defeat this virus we all have to get it, fight it and hope for the best outcome. This is not an option for elderly or people with underlying conditions that we are all aware of and also it now seems overweight and obese people of all ages. This is a disease of the first world, those who live in isolation and poverty will probably not succumb to it a kind of reversal of the Live Aid of the 80s. We have the science and will power to come to a solution in preventing or curing COVID19, until then I'm remaining pessimistic as to condition for the worse but hope for the best.

What , it’s expected to devastate Africa , it’s a disease that particularly affects the poorest , or have you missed the reports about covid and refugee camps

Advertisement