Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reberetta's Walrus Reveal AKA Reberrus!

• 24-03-2020 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages; it's the Road Dogg Jesse James, the badass Billy Gunn...wait, wrong script.

Welcome to Reberetta's Walrus reveal AKA REBURRUS! (with a hat tip to Rikand for providing me with that name.)

Categories:

1. The Weirdest Music/Song Ever

2. Great Vocal Performance

3. Song To Play At A Funeral

4. Great Non-Album Song or Great Live Performance Of A Song

Rules:

1. Songs scored out of ten, instead of scores based on placement; there will still be placings of course. More on the scoring later...

2. Out of the 60 songs submitted I will choose the very best song and award the submitter a bonus 3.5 points. This be unveiled at the end of the reveal thread.

3. Out of the same 60 songs I will select the very worst and deduct 3.5 points from the submitter's total as punishment. This be unveiled at the end of the reveal thread.

4. There will be a prize for first place which I will post to an Irish/N. Irish address free of charge! The prize will be a bunch of rubbish CDS that I dug out of the back of my garage.

First things first:

5. Guess my favourite artist/band
    As an aside game, if you can guess my favourite band/artist, you will win a bonus 3.5 points!

Let's look at the pretenders and contenders and their guesses:

$hifty
    The Beatles
    tusk
    Prince
    Pretzill
    Soundgarden
    Spook ie
    Anything not by Slade
    Necro
    Pearl Jam
    Rikand
    Blur
    Gru
    Foo Fighters
    lassykk
    Nirvana
    ShaneU
    ELO
    beakerjoe
    Prince and the New Power Generation
    FixXxer
    BTS
    Electric Nitwit
    Pink Floyd
    Homer J. Fong
    Metallica
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Fleetwood Mac 
    phatkev....................................The Rolling Stones

Has anyone guessed correctly? I will hold you in intolerable suspense for now.:P

All I need to do is add up some scores and put the songs to usernames, as I largely forgot who entered what and thus it was free from any chance of favouritism. I don't know who has won either.

Scheduled to kick this off Wednesday or Thursday at 6pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Reveal for this will be tomorrow afternoon. First up will be 4.Great Non-Album Song or Great Live Performance Of A Song.

Songs scored out of ten. With tied scores, I will place my preferred submission higher in the countdown (naturally).

First 14-2 will be revealed, then finally last place and first place in one post to up the suspense.

Be there! Or don't, it doesn't really matter, it'll go on without you.:D

Ok, let's get the show on the road with Great Non-Album Song or Great Live Performance Of A Song. I received

9 Non-album songs: all seem to fit the category as far as I can tell.
    5 live performances: fit the category obviously.

Have I heard of this artist: Yes
    Have I heard this song before: No

I can't think of much to say about this entry. It doesn't excite or bore; it doesn't annoy or cloy; it doesn't engage or stir the emotions. It's just sort of there; bland and inoffensive. Neither the lyrics or music appeal and arouse curiosity. Medium-pace and middling, it rarely changes gear. He belts the chorus with amorous gusto, but I've heard better Billy Joel songs-Everybody Loves You Now is on a playlist of mine.

The "Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooooooh" conjures visions of a swaying, baying sports crowd. Okay.

Score: 6/10

Second last place aka 14th place:
    Pretzill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

excite

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Really looking forward to this.

My first time being active during a Walrus Reveal!

Have I heard of this artist: No
    Have I heard this song before: Yes, but not this version.

Explaining the origin of the band name, Piccone is quoted as saying:
    In George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four social classes were defined as the inner party, outer party, and the working class. It sounds really "holier than thou" when you say it, we're really not this full of ourselves, but we liked the idea of creating this full, multimedia, over-stimulating, elitist environment that we were trying to invite everyone into. It's the ironic elitist class.

Interesting. A touch of The Prodigy and Pendulum about this track. What genre does this fall into? Techno dance? Electronic rock? It's passable, with energy, but that's where my praise ends. It took me to the last (when I read PMs properly) to realize this is a cover of a Joy Division creation which I've heard occasionally. I prefer the original, although credit to them for putting their own signature on it-they fooled me, if no one else.

13th place:
    Electric Nitwit

Nine Inch Nails-Burn

Confession: I have never listened to a Nine Inch Nails album; an anomaly considering their influence and reputation, not to mention the genres and bands I favour; I mean, I like their bosom buddies Marilyn Manson. This sounds like typical NIN to me with their traditional leitmotifs; special effects on Trent's angry, disenchanted angst. Slow section, fast section, keyboard beeps like a computer processing. It comes to an awkward halt at 5.04 for some reason. A bit lengthy and repetitive.

"I am your future
    Swallowed up in fire".

I like those lyrics. This isn't Closer but it's satisfactory dark industrial, featuring at various points, presumably, an invasion of giant buzzing flies, whom by the conclusion devour Reznor's corpse completely?  It's fiery but I am not inflamed.

Score: 6.5/10

12th place:
    fixXxer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Reberetta wrote: »

Explaining the origin of the band name, Piccone is quoted as saying:

Interesting. A touch of The Prodigy and Pendulum about this track. What genre does this fall into? Techno dance? Electronic rock? It's passable, with energy, but that's where my praise ends. It took me to the last (when I read PMs properly) to realize this is a cover of a Joy Division creation which I've heard occasionally. I prefer the original, although credit to them for putting their own signature on it-they fooled me, if no one else.

13th place:
    Electric Nitwit

Well, I took a gamble and you were wrong :p

Freddie's customary crooning is the highlight. Very good drumming. The crowd up the volume at three minutes; my favourite section. Good performance of a good song but nothing stands out as spectacular, capturing my imagination. I'm sure the submitter loves this for their own reasons, but it's a tad run of the mlll for this category. I think I prefer the studio version.

Score: 7/10

11th place:
    ShaneU

• Advertisement

I haven't paid enough attention to tell the difference between all the modern British/Irish bands- Kaiser Chiefs, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Killers etc.- I cannot differentiate or identify from a police line-up. My uncle respects The Killers and he hates almost all modern bands. He even hates Queen.

This reminds me of The Zombies, which is a good thing. The verses' hook overshadows the chorus; ideally you want it the other way round. Nice quick fingering on guitar at three minutes. The outro sounds like the ending to a sentimental episode of Thomas The Tank Engine wherein Thomas dies of a drug overdose after going off the rails and I'm not terribly fond of it (because I love Thomas).

Tenth place:
    Gru

The intro and outro is reminiscent of a song by Hendrix, possibly Castles Made Of Sand. This has Ten era Pearl Jam production stamped all over it; classic rock which seems tailor-made for a stadium. Eddie's lungs are beefy here; he's an iconic frontman.

"I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag".

Good, but maybe a bit formulaic for them, lacking in personality. Still, it flirts with sublimity. It's a tad surprising it was omitted from their studio albums, although Ten was stiff competition and perhaps it was considered too similar to others on that record. In fact, that release has a song called Porch-so maybe their Porch reference quota was already filled!

Ninth place:
    phatkev

Menacing piano hook. Eminem is pissed and a smidgen misogynistic...no change there then. He does his thing of skilfully dissing in rhyme, then just when it's in danger of becoming monotonous, at two and a half minutes variety appears in the form of a female collaborator whose accent I immediately adore; is it Mariah Carey herself!? Sounds a bit like her. Whatever, she ramps it up a notch until the end. The final word is "Knife" and this cuts like a knife. Ripping.

Score: 7.5/10

Eighth place:
    Necro

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Glad that did ok.

Yeah he either cut snippets from her songs or she did actually make tracks with Eminem which he had access to.

Its defo Mariah either way :)

B.E.R.-The Night Begins To Shine

I can't find any info about this group.

This has an ELO/Blondie flavour. If I were to attempt to place this in a decade I'd go for eighties, but it is contempo. It has an element of disco. I like the lyrics; uncomplicated yet gothically grand. If I were a vampire, I might adopt this as my theme. Contagious chorus. Nifty submission.

Seventh place:
    beakerjoe

Gruff Cookie Monster growling and crashing cymbal effects on a keyboard carousel! I like it. There simply aren't enough Sesame Street impersonations in the modern canon. I'm not one to put much stock in 'stage presence'-musicians can stare at the floor for all I care- but if I did, this guy would get top marks. He ain't mailing it in. I've never seen Letterman so enthused for a group!

Will check out more from this band.

Sixth place:
    $hifty

this is starting to get scary now. I might just unfollow :pac:

Why did Prince not capitalize on this classic? Talk about a prodigious oeuvre.

Arguably the greatest rock singer of the past 30 years, Cornell gives a sturdy rendition which rivals Sinead O Connor and Prince himself.This would have scored highly in category two of this Walrus. It includes a quality solo. I wish he had repeated the "Guess what he told me" line like others do.

Tremendous track delivered by a troubled troubadour with a commanding tone. RIP.

Score: 8.5/10

Fifth place:
    lassykk

Although not a supremely gifted vocalist, I have a lot of respect for Madge. She's intelligent, brave and talented. She has carved out her legend in the glass ceiling like a strong woman should. In a way, she's like Xena Warrior Princess.

This is a rocking, bouncey number, recollective of an energetic Prince composition and performance. I enjoy the tempo and rhythm throughout; there isn't a dull moment. "You understand what I'm talking about Detroit?" Yes!

Score: 8.5/10

Fourth place:
    Spook ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

B.E.R.-The Night Begins To Shine

I can't find any info about this group.

This has an ELO/Blondie flavour. If I were to attempt to place this in a decade I'd go for eighties, but it is contempo. It has an element of disco. I like the lyrics; uncomplicated yet gothically grand. If I were a vampire, I might adopt this as my theme. Contagious chorus. Nifty submission.

Seventh place:
    beakerjoe

I know where this comes from. BK you are a hero, the true people's champion.

• Advertisement

One of my favourite Eagles songs. Here it has an extended intro, which I initially took for musical wankery, but much like a boner, it has grown on me. I haven't seen this much chemistry since my cousin Earnie's meth lab was shut down. A hairy magician on guitar. I didn't know the drummer also sang lead. One of the members looks like the bloke from Spinal Tap. Maybe it is the bloke from Spinal Tap, that would be cool.

Around the fourth minute, the traditional version kicks in and it continues with fantabulous musicianship all round. There's one wrong note at around 4.30, but it may be intentional. I have to say this is a wicked live performance vocalized adroitly.

Score: 9/10

Third place:
    tusk

This has attitude. A bad attitude, which is to say, good attitude. Puissant piano pounding with punk venting; whatever she's saying it sounds vital; this isn't about an Uptown Girl; it's passionate and rebellious. Fantastic story-telling lyrics; "dicks droop like lilacs" is noteworthy. I haven't studied the words intently, nor the true meaning of the song, but I get the scent of euphemisms that almost seem to refer to prostitution? I could be way off base, but that's partly what I think about when I hear the lyrics.

I have heard the song Horses and her cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit; neither blew me away. This one compels me to check out more Patti Smith.

"I have something to hide here called desire". No kidding-it's not hidden!

Second place:

This has attitude. A bad attitude, which is to say, good attitude. Puissant piano pounding with punk venting; whatever she's saying it sounds vital; this isn't about an Uptown Girl; it's passionate and rebellious. Fantastic story-telling lyrics; "dicks droop like lilacs" is noteworthy. I haven't studied the words intently, nor the true meaning of the song, but I get the scent of euphemisms that almost seem to refer to prostitution? I could be way off base, but that's partly what I think about when I hear the lyrics.

I have heard the song Horses and her cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit; neither blew me away. This one compels me to check out more Patti Smith.

"I have something to hide here called desire". No kidding-it's not hidden!

Second place:

I'll very happily take 2nd place for this round. Wasn't sure how well received this one would be.

giphy.gif

Only two entries left to reveal then: first and last. I will do so in one post.

Electronic chilled, acoustic ambience; conjures the vision of a relaxed nightclub setting with flashing colourful lights and a few groovy dance moves on the floor. Somewhat reminiscent of Jose Gonzalez's Veneer. Nice blend of guitars and effects, but a bit soporific and not something I will return to in a hurry. Fairly forgettable fare.

Score: 5/10

Last place:
    Rikand

Have I heard this song before: Yes, many times.

This is late nineties Billy Corgan era; subdued with electronic poetry and drum-machine beats. Leaving this off of the low-key and unheralded, unprofitable and underrated Adore album seems to me an oversight.  If it had appeared it would have been its strongest track in my opinion; it far surpasses Perfect, a single from that studio release.

There is variety here and it rocks almost deceptively; ethereal pre-chorus, slap-bass like springing beats; a multi-layered diaphanous crescendo which conjures visions of a portal to...somewhere adorable, an outro which cuts like paper.

I am a big Smashing Pumpkins fan so you've struck gold submitter! Even though I've heard it a hundred times before, it still deserves number one.

Score: 10/10

First place and winner of category:
    Homer J. Fong

Nice reveal reb

tusk wrote: »
    Nice reveal reb

What he said.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah, I enjoyed the in depth reviews, twas great!

I didn't make this table, I ripped it off from another thread and redid it. I think it works ok after clicking 'total' one or two times.

Scores After Round 1

Name|B-side/Live|Funeral Song|Vocal Performance|Weird Music|Total
    Homer J.F.|10(1)|0|0|0|10
    A.S.L.B|9(2)|0|0|0|9
    tusk |9(3)|0|0|0|9
    Spook ie |8.5(4)|0|0|0|8.5
    lassykk |8.5(5)|0|0|0|8.5
    $hifty |7.5(6)|0|0|0|7.5
    beakerjoe |7.5(7)|0|0|0|7.5
    Necro |7.5(8)|0|0|0|7.5
    phatkev |7(9)|0|0|0|7
    Gru |7(10)|0|0|0|7
    ShaneU |7(11)|0|0|0|7
    fixXxer |6.5(12)|0|0|0|6.5
    Electric N.|6(13)|0|0|0|6
    Pretzill |6(14)|0|0|0|6
    Rikand |5(15)|0|0|0|5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ahhhh back at the bottom of a walrus, it's been too long.

Eye was on my shortlist as well, great song :)

Advertisement