Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus Clare

• 15-03-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Lots of other Regional Forums seem to have their own virus thread,I didn't see one here.

I'm not starting it for speculation purposes but just somewhere for people locally in Clare to drop in and keep each other up to date.

I'm now in the working from home group of people but fortunate that I can because plenty of others have lost jobs already and a lot more will.Kids have both been given school work online to be completed each day which will be good for them.

I noticed a distinct change of peoples social distancing and attitudes in the last 24 to 36 hrs which is a good thing,a lot of older people in the local supermarket filling trolleys wearing gloves,the local garage has a policy of wiping down the card tap machine between each customer and the distancing in the queue is being monitored.

Best of luck everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

Great idea ðŸ‘

Luckily we can work from home too but definitely worry ahead about jobs in the future but for now we're considering ourselves quite lucky.

Haven't heard of any cases locally yet thank god. Did have a funeral at the weekend, was fairly odd felt quite cold not shaking hands but it was definitely a good idea to reduce the spread - I avoided the funeral home and went to the grave instead with the hope the open air would be safer (had my dad with me in his 70s hence the fear)

How are your children doing with it all? My little boy is far too young to know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The young lad(10) seems OK at the moment as he has the play station.I have dragged him out for both a cycle and a walk to get a bit of fresh air into him the last 2 days.
    The young lady(13) is finding it more difficult as shes at the stage of out and about hanging about with friends so that has had to be scaled back.

I've tried to keep to my work routine,sitting at the table for 9ish and taking a lunch break and even having my normal satsuma at 3,It is easier to get things done when the kids are a bit older admittedly.

A quick visit to the shops today and even more people wearing gloves which is good to see albeit I wasn't wearing any myself,I was as careful as I could be.
    Kitchen roll was being rationed to two rolls per person as there was zero toilet roll,they probably should have had a special offer of half price moisturizer to go with it :D

Its good that your young lad doesn't know so can't ask some of the questions that have been asked here,but they have been answered honestly.

We will be in this situation for a while yet,but in fairness I think this country might actually be handling this correctly.Its up to each one of us to play our part here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Things very quiet around today. However, it was the opposite yesterday, Lahince packed. I think the test will be in a few days time if we get a nice day. The temptation to leave the house will be great. Just as well plenty of isolated places in Clare to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jackboy wrote: »
    Things very quiet around today. However, it was the opposite yesterday, Lahinch packed.

with all cafes & pubs open ?????

fryup wrote: »
    with all cafes & pubs open ?????

Yes, although I’m sure they are all closed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

jackboy wrote: »
    Lahinch packed..

That's part of the problem right there.some people are just ignorant,clueless or just plain dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

That's part of the problem right there.some people are just ignorant,clueless or just plain dumb.

Maybe "innocent" might better sum it up. But we're learning and it's hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

After leo's speech last night I really do hope the seriousness of this hits home for those that thought the government/hse/media were just scaremongering.
    The world is changing very fast it's just been a week since the premier league cancelled it's first game "as a precaution" and now the country is on the brink of a social lock down.
    Well done to our caretaker taoiseach for his honesty and the fact he spoke directly to our young people gives me confidence that we will beat this.
    Stay safe everyone and don't forget to get out of the house every day for some exercise and fresh Clare air, you can't beat it !

• Registered Users Posts: 29 textiles

Lahinch prom and beach packed yesterday (Friday) with poor physical distancing and all the houses in the area full. Lots of families meeting and chatting in groups.
    It's hard not to feel some people still don't get this - insulting to the medical staff and other frontline workers who are putting themselves at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

textiles wrote: »
    Lahinch prom and beach packed yesterday (Friday) with poor physical distancing and all the houses in the area full. Lots of families meeting and chatting in groups.
    It's hard not to feel some people still don't get this - insulting to the medical staff and other frontline workers who are putting themselves at risk.

Id be willing to bet that its worse tomorrow.the weather forecast is due to be pretty good.

• Advertisement

textiles wrote: »
    Lots of families meeting and chatting in groups.

i've no problem with a family being in close proximity esp a family from the same household > its unavoidable.........but its aquanitices & strangers having group chats that's annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

From Moyasta to Kilkee today on the N67 there was people standing with signs saying "Stay at home" at every junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

JCX BXC wrote: »
    From Moyasta to Kilkee today on the N68 there was people standing with signs saying "Stay at home" at every junction.

Unfortunately a lot of passing motorists didn't heed the plea.

https://www.thejournal.ie/lahinch-beach-social-distancing-5054294-Mar2020/

Took a spin through Kilkee a while ago (didn't get out of car!) appeared to be a good few around but not packed by any means. Still, far too many people in groups, standing around talking.

George's head and Diamond rocks car parks both full, lots of people walking the cliff.

Very disappointing. Many non locals too, a fair whack are limerick imports.

Blondie919 wrote: »

It was a bit close to kilkee. The signs should have been just outside Ennis stating that the beaches are closed. People were unlikely to turn around after driving so far.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    From Moyasta to Kilkee today on the N67 there was people standing with signs saying "Stay at home" at every junction.

were they standing 2m apart?

were they standing 2m apart?

No but you'd imagine that family members who live in the same house don't have to.

Doesn't stop the outraged comments on FB of those who didn't approve of what they're doing.

I think it was fantastic, a bit of guilt is what's needed, because it's too late to feel guilty when you spread it to an elderly neighbour/relative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Blondie919 wrote: »

These people are loonies, it's up to the gardai and the government to advise these people, not a bunch of yahoos on the side of the road with signs,
    what next, smash any car that doesn't have a clare reg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I did the Moylussa hike yesterday and it was very busy there,even the tops of mountain's(OK a big hill) are busy these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

These people are loonies, it's up to the gardai and the government to advise these people, not a bunch of yahoos on the side of the road with signs,
    what next, smash any car that doesn't have a clare reg ?

But shur our government has advised everyone. Every government in every country worldwide has said the same. What does it take for people to follow instruction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

Any barbers still operating lads?

"They've taken the roads in"
    Clare County Council has closed all local authority operated car parks at beaches and parks until further notice.

wonder will other co co's around the country follow their lead?

http://www.clare.fm/news/coronavirus/council-run-car-parks-beaches-parks-closed/

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Local Hotel is Shannon Raided by Guards last night
    residents bar with a lot of non residents seeming doing good Business during coronavirus lockdown
    Shocking carry on by Management of Hotel..:mad:

^^^^^^^^

name & shame

I misunderstood the title.I thought it was about the super spreader "corona Virus CLARE", Irelands answer to Typhoid Mary....

I shall be the mister McGee to her David Banner , I will find her!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

^^^^^^^^

name & shame

First hotel when you come into shannon on your left.. New extension going onto it at the moment

"They've taken the roads in"

wonder will other co co's around the country follow their lead?

http://www.clare.fm/news/coronavirus/council-run-car-parks-beaches-parks-closed/

Does this include the carpark at Dromore? It was open yesterday.

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Does this include the carpark at Dromore? It was open yesterday.

Irrelevant now as won't be driving any distance in order to go for a walk!

Shannonside in Kilrush full of life today, loads of men standing around talking, forklifts moving etc. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^

essential service?

Advertisement