Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
  • 26-03-2020 12:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭

And since the episode and spoilers are out, another thread follows.

I got some fairly mixed feelings on this one.

Some parts of it felt cheap, both in terms of resources and story telling. One gets offed, another gets away scot-free when she just fumes a bit instead of culminating a couple of decades of work. The use of the golem undermines one of the underlying conceits of the series, that of Picards mortality. The Starfleet squadron was just a lot of copy and pasting, and Riker seemed poorly greenscreened into place. And where's that Seven/Raffi thing coming from? That's just randomly shoehorned into two seconds of the final shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So 7 of 9 is now.

I suppose got keep with the times and have LGBTQBorg relationship in every TV show these days.

Overall a disappointing finale for me to what was a very enjoyable series up to then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That version of Blue Skies played at the end was Isa Briones herself:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, I've been a fan and a defender of the series, but that was a swing and a miss for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Also, and this really bugged me, was that MASSIVE federation fleet all the same class of ship? Ctrl + V needed to be eased up a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Absolute pile of shyte that episode was. The only thing I liked was the glimpse of the super synths wormhole.

The ridiculous faces Data was pulling too while talking to Picard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Missing some kind of big battle - kinda of big let down after leading up to this the whole season
    The clone thing was already hinted at earlier and punched in the face this episode
    Good to see Ryker in uniform
    Sad ending for Data - got a bit emotional

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They saved the worst for last.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I .. I'm pretty sure there was some kind of episode of something that happened there..

before and after the Data Picard scene.

I'm just gonna take a moment. Phew!

I'll definitely be watching season 2!

Oh yeah.. Before the Data Picard scene..

I had googled Rikers ship: Zheng He
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He
    Zheng He[a] (Chinese: 鄭和; 1371 – 1433 or 1435) was a Chinese mariner, explorer, diplomat, fleet admiral, and court eunuch during China's early Ming dynasty.
    According to legend, his larger ships carried hundreds of sailors on four decks and were almost twice as long as any wooden ship ever recorded.

Oh damn though.. that Data Picard scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yeah, the Picard/Data scenes were the only decent thing about the episode and are emblematic of the whole series - some good moments that punctuate mostly poor storytelling and dialogue.

Starfleet and the Federation are only a passing thing in this series so the writers can put their own stamp on the show. Riker's dialogue was shocking even for that character and his association with holding the fort during battles. The woefully CGI'd copy and paste starships were poorly designed - Oh for the days when they built models! I think DS9 had better CGI and actual space battles.

I'll be honest, I was fairly late in seeing that the 'golem' was for Picard - I actually thought Data was coming back in some shape or form. Transferring Picard's mind into an android is an undercut to the show, both in storytelling and Picard's motivations. I wonder what Stewart's thoughts on this were?

Other notes: Is the Borg cube the largest McGuffin in TV/movie history? Done purely for the visual it would seem. Narek, just WTF? Where did he get to in the end? What was his sister doing on the cube? Seven and Raffi? Fine, but at least give us a hint beforehand and not the sudden hand clasping at the very end of the series.

I don't know if I can do season 2. Sure, we'll get Guinan and they'll tease us with some old faces, but the problems will remain with this writing crew. Anyone have an idea of the numbers watching or is that a moot point giving the platform it's viewed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Mostly rubbish BUT –

Picard and Data! Loved all of that!

Also that Vulcan one died. She was the absolute pits. Glad she fell into one.

And otherwise it wasn't awful... but mostly not great at all. Romulan and Starfleet ships looked bad. Why bother with 100s of each? Some script writer writing cheques the FX department can't cash? Silly looking. Then they all just stood down anyway. Silly looking and pointless. Kinda ruined Riker's wee cameo.

Data scene was great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah, the age old evil tentacles coming through the portal trick. Basically what happens any time a portal opens to hell or something. But not a Gate. That brings imps.

Wouldn't have minded seeing the reactions from everyone seeing him alive.

So random thing I found is that Leo Varadkar can be linked to this show in a 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way. Seeing the recap with the one in the museum, I was wondering why she looked familiar. Looked up imdb and turns out I knew her from Teen Wolf. But looking at the pictures on imdb, I see this one

MV5BODI5MTA3NDM0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg4MDk4NTM@._V1_.jpg

From the set of Nightflyers.
    Sorry, just thought it was a random thing to share. :)

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Just a note on those dodgy looking Federation starships on ST Picard. Compare them with a compilation of Enterprise E shots from the TNG movies including the Borg cube battle from First Contact. Yes, I know there is a difference between movies and TV with budgets etc. but the scenes from First Contact are 24 Years old...24 years old! The CGI versions do get a bit ropy by Insurrection and Nemesis, but they still hold up well

The D class will always be my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I loved the Picard-Data scene.

I really liked Riker bit.

But there rest was very much meh.

Agree with the previous poster, far too much CTRL+C and CTRL+V

Better not be bridge windows on those ships!!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I kinda hoped Riker would turn up on the Enterprise E, perhaps having taken it out of semi-mothballed status, but I suppose beyond fan service it wouldn't really have served a point.

It's hardly unreasonable for a ship worth our planet's GDP to have a lifetime longer than a steamboat though.

I felt a bit cheated. I thought Picard dying would've capped it off and made a pretty good send off for a beloved character. If the Data scene was necessary, and I think it was, it could've just been a hyper-compressed bit of time where his consciousness was fleetingly captured by Data's copy in the settlement, before being ushered through the door.

I kinda don't see the purpose of a 2nd season, although I will of course give it a go.

I enjoyed the season as whole.

I think people have a bit of rose-tinted glasses when looking at Trek. There were an awful lot of stinkers in there. A show when taken as an entire body of work can't be compared with individual episodes IMO, or even really one season, and I don't think there's much case to be made that Picard is of drastically lower quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Poor Picard.

"Well Admiral, we could have downloaded you into a hot younger body and given you superpowers but we figured you wouldn't want that."
    "Oh. Yay"

Not sure what was going on with 7 of 9 and Raffi. I think they were just both very drunk. Glad to see Jeri Ryan will be a regular for the second season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Hmmm mixed feelings on the finale I think.

Offered so much and failed to deliver the killer punch.

Good points.

- The Data and Picard death scene although the uniform was very ill fitting on Spiner.
    - Riker on the bridge of a starship. Although some of the script was pure pants. Weapons Hot for example.

Bad Points:

- Picard as a android (sorry I hate the word synth). Not really gone on that yet.
    - The battle scene was a bit meh. As for the starships, they need to bring in Doug Drexler to create some starship beauties for the late 24/early 25th century.
    - CGI: 20+ years on from the CGI days of DS9 / VOY, the ones in PIC look cheap. The space visuals in TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT were 100's time better in model and CGI form.

Who was with Data as the program was being terminated?

I wonder what the ragtag crew will get up to for Season 2? I wonder will Seven be part of the crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

The good

Data and Picard scenes.
    Riker in uniform
    Starfleet showing up
    7 of 9 acknowledging all her killing was not ok

The bad

Picard the synth
    Too many ships
    Bringing Riker back in to lead the fleet ahead of any serving Captain or admiral - ridiculous
    Giant wormhole beacon universe ending aliens :rolleyes:
    Magic fixing tool giving rise to the Picard manoeuvre multiplier :mad:

Riker conversing with O "your treacherous ass" I know the tone of the show is different but this style of language takes me out. It's 21st century talk and doesn't fit.

I'm not sure if it was better or worse than earlier episodes but I enjoyed watching this one a bit more. The good moments had me wishing for what it could have been. Hopefully they will listen to criticism and deliver something better next season.

Episode 7/10
    Season 5/10

Who was with Data as the program was being terminated?

Picard (or rather a memory of him)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If they said season 2 was cancelled, I wouldn’t care.

I just cannot forgive the poor writing, awful acting, non-sensical story and idiotic decision making. One of my cardinal sins in tv/film is to set out a character and then have them act completely opposite. Oh not attacking was absolutely laughable.

There’re were so many things wrong that would have been easier to get right. No registry on any fcuking ship this week. Not one beauty shot of it. Copied and pasted everywhere, 15 years after losing Utopia Planetia. Also, did I hear Narek saying “when our ancestors arrived on Vulcan”

I’m all on for modernising trek but not at the expense of ripping out its heart.

Seven and Raffi. Get the fcuk out of town.

I could be here until 2 am ranting.

It’s a 5/10 series for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I thought the whole season started off OK. Went downhill pretty badly after that. Episode 9 where the synth told us she learned how to mind meld... Utter ****e. This series and discovery makes me realise how unique and beautiful the older trek is. I went back and rewatched a few TNG episodes over the weekend. So so good, especially Yesterdays Enterprise.
    Star Trek as I know it finished forever when the credits rolled on Enterprise.
    Enterprise is like The shawshank redemption when compared to Discovery and Picard..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Solid 8.5 for the series

7 and raffi makes sense... considering there was something going on between Janeway and 7

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I wanted to love this so much. But it’s not Star Trek. It’s a trek show twisted and bastardised into a modern tv show. It’s so annoying, I really wanted this but no. Would have been better if left to my imagination of what could have happened to these characters.

Solid 8.5 for the series

7 and raffi makes sense... considering there was something on between Janeway and 7

Considering some of the greatest shows ever made would still only get a 9/10 I would strongly disagree.

7 and Raffi makes no sense. Did they even look at each other twice in earlier episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The Ikea lights did it for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172011029047

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Quite likely won’t be a season 2 due to coronavirus. Television drama production has had to cease.

It could easily be 2021

I quite enjoyed that as a finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wanted to love this so much. But it’s not Star Trek. It’s a trek show twisted and bastardised into a modern tv show. It’s so annoying, I really wanted this but no. Would have been better if left to my imagination of what could have happened to these characters.

This, so much. It's not star trek, just trek characters forced into some modern edgy show pretenting.

Are the ships supposed to be odysseys?, pretty similar looking but terrible angles of view all around.

• Advertisement

I really dislike the way the ships go to warp and drop out of warp without any build up or slow down.

Again I know it's a different style of show but it's at odds with most other Trek series

Advertisement