Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I got mine yesterday. I received an email saying it was in the Post Office for me. I sent off the Covid 19 form on either the 17th or 18th of March for reference. I have a public services card as I was previously made redundant in February but managed to get new employment almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Is anything required after you submit the form? I missed a call from them today but couldn't get back in contact with them so just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the self employed are going to get thrown to the wolves again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The other half had to stop trading (also self-employed) last week due to Covid-19. The Intreo office told her not to bother with the Covid payment and had her apply for JSB instead.

Covid was put down on the form as the reason for ceasing trading but will she be entitled to the €350 payment considering she didn't actually apply for the Covid-specific scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maj206

so i finished work last wednesday,i work in the dental profession and we have gone to skeleton staff providing emergency treatment only.
    i have one days work this week and possibly one day next week, i used to work 5 days a week so a significant drop in income for me.
    am i entitled to the emergency covid payment of 350 does anyone know? very confused.
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Ivan Yates on Newstalk claims the employers temporary wage subsidy scheme is unworkable .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Is anything required after you submit the form? I missed a call from them today but couldn't get back in contact with them so just curious

No I didn't do anything else, just submitted the form.

I had to pick mine up in cash from the PO, but I was able to lodge it straight into my AIB bank account with my card. There is another bank that the PO offer this service for but I can't remember which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

The other half had to stop trading (also self-employed) last week due to Covid-19. The Intreo office told her not to bother with the Covid payment and had her apply for JSB instead.

Covid was put down on the form as the reason for ceasing trading but will she be entitled to the €350 payment considering she didn't actually apply for the Covid-specific scheme?

Intreo office was wrong, your other half is fully entitled to the covid payment. Make sure you apply asap, here is the form: https://assets.gov.ie/71472/a026043e90cc4d03bdfb1f3a58f3d7af.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What have you figured out in relation to how it's supposed to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

I see the wording has changed a little during the day, from:

have ceased trading due to the pandemic if you are self-employed
    to
    if you are self-employed and have ceased trading due to the pandemic

Hmm, what's the difference, if any?

Anyone know, who can advise on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I can't figure out why the payment would be in the post office, nothing suggesting this from any distributed information.

If it is, do they plan on just not telling people where their payment is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

BarryD2 wrote: »

I see the wording has changed a little during the day, from:

have ceased trading due to the pandemic if you are self-employed
    to
    if you are self-employed and have ceased trading due to the pandemic

Hmm, what's the difference, if any?

Anyone know, who can advise on this?
    I don't see any change in meaning there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just reading through the details on the Revenue website. To me it reads that an employer can pay their employees up to 410 a week and claim it all back from the state. So the employee would get 60 euro more than the 350 euro they would get if they claimed directly from the state.

Is there any reason why an employer wouldn't offer this, if it costs them nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

recyclebin wrote: »
    Just reading through the details on the Revenue website. To me it reads that an employer can pay their employees up to 410 a week and claim it all back from the state. So the employee would get 60 euro more than the 350 euro they would get if they claimed directly from the state.

Is there any reason why an employer wouldn't offer this, if it costs them nothing?
    The €410 can only account for 70% of the employees take home pay. The employer still needs to find 30%, plus the difference between what would be the employees gross pay and net pay plus employers prsi.
    That's quite a lot of money to find if you don't have money coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    The €410 can only account for 70% of the employees take home pay. The employer still needs to find 30%, plus the difference between what would be the employees gross pay and net pay plus employers prsi.
    That's quite a lot of money to find if you don't have money coming in.

Isn't it only optional to top it up. Like they can give nothing extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

Question, this is regarding my girlfriend. So she was working until December last year, left her job to go back to her country for Christmas. Came back in January, found a new job and a few weeks in we found out she's pregnant. At the end of February she got 4 weeks off from the doctor because she was unable to work because her morning sickness was so bad she literally couldn't work. She also applied for ilness benefit but found out she doesn't have enough PRSI contributions for that(she came to Ireland back in July 2018 but her then employer only registered her after a few weeks). So now she was meant to come back to work today but the restaurant closed last week.
    Question is, to be eligible for the covid payment, do you have to meet certain PRSI contributions quota?

Another question not directly related to the covid payment, it turns out she probably won't qualify for maternity benefit either as she won't be able to get enough contributions (because she can't now work because of the covid-19) so will number of contributions required for that be lowered? We're planning to get married sometime this year, will mine and her contributions combine so she gets a better chance?( I've been employed for the past 7 years, literally since I started college).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What's the deal with the short time hours payment? Will the employer be notified that it has been processed? As far as I remember it was the employer email that had to be put down not the employee's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kajzer wrote: »
    Question is, to be eligible for the covid payment, do you have to meet certain PRSI contributions quota?

No you do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

titan18 wrote: »
    Isn't it only optional to top it up. Like they can give nothing extra?
    The employer is supposed to make good effort to pay employees the 30%, to bring them to the total 100%.

If employers are found to be abusing the scheme there will be strict penalties.

Why do you say that? Seems like a fair scheme (so far?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi. Quick question. Sorry if it's been posted before. I was told to self isolate and have a two week doctors cert from Friday past. The doctor is filling in the covid-19 illness benefit form which I was to pick up Today and submit. My employer informed me Yesterday afternoon that they are laying me off from Today, so will be payed the €410 payment from Today. They won't be paying me for Friday to Tuesday.Can I claim the Covid-19 illness benefit for the 3 days only, from Friday to Yesterday?

Thinking about it. Can they start the 70% €410 payment half ways through a working week?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

Why do you say that? Seems like a fair scheme (so far?).
    Initially when the scheme was announced self employed where being treated same as workers, if they had lost income/employment they could apply.
    Since Monday the 23rd they changed the wording and have had inserted "ceased trading" ( i know someone else highlighted they have changed this sentence around again).
    An official cessation of trading for a business has specific legal/taxation and other requirements.
    It also creates issues with customers/marketing/accounts etc.
    When business's are starting up again, it creates extra barriers and expenses, not even sure how the tax is going to work.
    We are all hoping that this is short term, seems strange that they would now be making it more difficult for self employed to get back to work once over, given the purpose of these schemes is not just income support but to keep work relations intact.
    Until there is better clarification if ceased trading is the full legal term, people are in limbo, form still has no mention of this, neither does mywelfare ( correct as of yesterday, they may have changed it again)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Initially when the scheme was announced self employed where being treated same as workers, if they had lost income/employment they could apply.
    Since Monday the 23rd they changed the wording and have had inserted "ceased trading" ( i know someone else highlighted they have changed this sentence around again).
    An official cessation of trading for a business has specific legal/taxation and other requirements.
    When business's are starting up again, it creates extra barriers and expenses, not even sure how the tax is going to work.
    We are all hoping that this is short term, seems strange that they would now be making it more difficult for self employed to get back to work once over, given the purpose of these schemes is not just income support but to keep work relations intact.
    Until there is better clarification if ceased trading is the full legal term, people are in limbo, form still has no mention of this, neither does mywelfare ( correct as of yesterday, they may have changed it again)

I *think* you’re over thinking it. I *think* the wording was changed because some were applying for it while still working (Self employed) and saying earnings were down

If your business has stopped (ie you can no longer work as a self employed person) then you can apply

As you’ve said the form is quite simple and they do not have time to check whether you legally have closed your business down completely

Now I can’t provide anything in writing to assuage your fears/suspicions but I hope the words help...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I rang yesterday.

Lady said self employed still entitled even if they haven't ceased trading.

Just send the form off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Rushed legislation usually means bad legislation. There will be many loop holes and exceptional circumstances not covered. The covid19 payment is an emergency payment. In my opinion if you are struggling to pay for basics then you should apply for it and worry about the consequences later.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

I rang yesterday.

Lady said self employed still entitled even if they haven't ceased trading.

Just send the form off.
    Thanks, that is good to hear.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Hat off to all the folks working part time in the affected industries. Now you get to stay home and earn more money. How long will this gravy train last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

Limpy wrote: »
    Hat off to all the folks working part time in the affected industries. Now you get to stay home and earn more money. How long will this gravy train last.

Most people who were working part time were not available for or seeking full time work which means that when the 12 weeks is up they get nothing as they wont qualify for jsb. In the short term some people will get more to stay at home than when they were working but to try to implement a proper system where each claim is investigated properly would just result in huge delays, which would kind of defeat the purpose. It's an exceptional circumstances emergency payment.
    Personally I'd rather still have a job.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Me to. Many people would do a few hours. Normally as the partner is working and after been means tested they would usually receive nothing in terms of benefits. Now they get €305 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Hi - Am I correct to assume that if you are earning say €25k & you weekly net is coming out at €420. with Government scheme you are getting 70% of this refunded to you. So you would get €294 from revenue & hopefully employer can top up the balance. If the employer doesnt top up then you would be getting less than if you were to go to Social Welfare directly €350 (& have employment ceased) Am I understanding that correctly?

Advertisement