Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government Benefits Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What is the date which discriminates the op from the lad who was let go today?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Is this new payment for 6 or 12 weeks? I can't see my employer opening up until the summer at the very least.

12 week's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Leo Varadkar just announced that the covid unemployment payment will increase to 350 for the majority of social welfare payments, all of which are listed here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/773fa3-what-to-do-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-if-youre-already-getting-/

Guess who isn't getting the increased payment? People who were fully unemployed before the crisis, who are still expected to be able to live on 203 per week.

If the expenses of people unemployed before the crisis have increased, they should be able to get €350 per week for the duration of the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The link isn't working.
    Can I ask how this works with people already on reduced SW payment?
    Say for someone already on JA, OPF, Family Dividend in a reduced rate and then their employment is cut.
    How does it work for them?
    A lot of them are on part time hours usually or low wages and get reduced SW support.
    Also, did they say anything about keeping a PRSI stamp for the duration of this payment? That would be a big anomoly if not.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If the expenses of people unemployed before the crisis have increased, they should be able to get €350 per week for the duration of the crisis.

How would that have happened. The reality would be different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

The link isn't working.
    Can I ask how this works with people already on reduced SW payment?
    Say for someone already on JA, OPF, Family Dividend in a reduced rate and then their employment is cut.
    How does it work for them?
    A lot of them are on part time hours usually or low wages and get reduced SW support.
    Also, did they say anything about keeping a PRSI stamp for the duration of this payment? That would be a big anomoly if not.

Here is a snippet from https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/
    If you have lost your job and were receiving a partial Social Welfare Payment, such as Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance, you do not need to apply. Instead you should contact your local Intreo Centre by phone or email.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Very unfair.

Those on JSB should be able to avail of higher payment also in this instance. Those losing a job through no fault of their own in the last 3 months are suffering same financial hardship.

Everyones financial circumstances change when they lose a job, and those suffering due to Covid19 should not be getting more than someone who lost a job in Feb of this year for instance (and they have built up sufficient PRSI contributions).

You could have the following ridiculous scenario:

John is 1 month in to a 3 month contract working in a coffee shop (started on 1st March). He is let go 2 weeks later. John can claim €350 due to Covid19.

Sean has worked in a factory for 18 months and is let go in late february, he can only claim €203 (despite having built up the requisite PRSI contributions).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭johnmc2020

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the Covid payment for people who have lost part time work?

Say a person worked one or two days a week and earned €150 per week but were let go due to the shop they worked for being closed down due to the coronavirus - does this person now get €350 per week?? Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Any advice/insights would be appreciated!

• Advertisement

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    John is 1 month in to a 3 month contract working in a coffee shop (started on 1st March). He is let go 2 weeks later. John can claim €350 due to Covid19.

Sean has worked in a factory for 18 months and is let go in late february, he can only claim €203 (despite having built up the requisite PRSI contributions).

John has been affected directly by Covid19. He is out of work because of the virus, however he still has a job to return to, once it passes.

Sean's employment ended due to reasons not related to Covid19. Therefore he has no reason to expect a Covid payment.

The begrudgery is strong on this one. Country was at full unemployment. A handful of people aren't entitled that probably, morally, should be. The majority complaining will be the dole heads who wouldn't get a job if you paid them to (literally). But can't stand the thought of others having a few euro more in their pockets, even though it's very fairly done.

As an aside, from my own perspective, as a sole trader who is a photographer (with nothing to photograph now, obviously) the bump from €203 to €350 makes an enormous difference. I genuinely didn't anticipate it, and I presume we'll be looking at increased taxes when it's over, but for the short term, it's taken a huge amount of pressure off my back to repay loans and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newlymarried

Hello my partner claims a reduced rate of disability allowance for me and our child as I work 20 hours per week

I also get 20 euro a week working family payment

I have been laid off now

Can I apply for the covid pandemic payment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hello my partner claims a reduced rate of disability allowance for me and our child as I work 20 hours per week

I also get 20 euro a week working family payment

I have been laid off now

Can I apply for the covid pandemic payment

You sure can. She will lose whatever she’s getting for you which is probably not even €100 and you’ll get the emergency payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newlymarried

splinter65 wrote: »
    You sure can. She will lose whatever she’s getting for you which is probably not even €100 and you’ll get the emergency payment.

Thank you I was very unsure on this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Question..... if a company is keeping on staff (despite a major fall in normal revenue) on basis that it use the time for other internal projects (introduce new systems, on-line training etc) - can the company apply to get this grant.

OR.... has it to lay off the employees????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I applied for the covid19 pandemic payment on mywelfare.ie as I was let go last week. When I applied, I got a notification telling me I had to apply for jobseekers as well, but I haven't heard of anyone else have to do this.

Anyone know what that's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Wait and see what the fine details are on gov.ie later.

I imagine there will be winners and losers in some cases like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

I suggested back in the hours after Leo's first announcement that they offer those laid off €350 for the duration of the crisis. Glad to see it has happened even if only incrementally.

The essential jobs has been a bit of a fudge though. Construction are not essential jobs and very hard to implement the measures necessary. Most factory environments are easier to police and implement measures. These would need to be decided on that basis.

Hopefully there's a European stimulus package once this period ends.

John has been affected directly by Covid19. He is out of work because of the virus, however he still has a job to return to, once it passes.

Sean's employment ended due to reasons not related to Covid19. Therefore he has no reason to expect a Covid payment.

The begrudgery is strong on this one. Country was at full unemployment. A handful of people aren't entitled that probably, morally, should be. The majority complaining will be the dole heads who wouldn't get a job if you paid them to (literally). But can't stand the thought of others having a few euro more in their pockets, even though it's very fairly done.

Thats incorrect. The energency payment is distinct from the 70% payment that maintains the link with employer. John does not have a job to return to.

Rather than sniping back, do your research.

For what its worth, the 350euro payment to those still linked to their employer during temp layoff is a fantastic idea.

The emergency payment is separate, its for people who were let go, and there is no guaranteed link to employer. Whatever way you look at it, its unjust to those on JSB (distinct from JSA, but all people in receipt are scroungers in some peoples eyes). Its just a higher level of job seekers benefit in essence. They will all be in same dole queue with no job.

• Advertisement

Thats incorrect. The energency payment is distinct from the 70% payment that maintains the link with employer. John does not have a job to return to.

Rather than sniping back, do your research.

For what its worth, the 350euro payment to those still linked to their employer during temp layoff is a fantastic idea.

He does still have a job to return to, though. €350 means he won't be scrambling to find another job in the mean time, thus leaving the employer stuck when things start to get moving again.

He does still have a job to return to, though. €350 means he won't be scrambling to find another job in the mean time, thus leaving the employer stuck when things start to get moving again.

Again, do your research. 2 separate payments. 1 for those still linked to employer (employer pays and can claim back).

2, separate emergency payment to those who lost their job due to Covid 19. Where employment has ended. Kaput.

You are getting mixed up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Is the covid 19 payment still for a six week period ?

Is the covid 19 payment still for a six week period ?

12 weeks now.

I don't understand why Back to Education allowance is getting the bump to 350 but JSA/JSB isn't ��

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Very unfair.

Those on JSB should be able to avail of higher payment also in this instance. Those losing a job through no fault of their own in the last 3 months are suffering same financial hardship.

Everyones financial circumstances change when they lose a job, and those suffering due to Covid19 should not be getting more than someone who lost a job in Feb of this year for instance (and they have built up sufficient PRSI contributions).

You could have the following ridiculous scenario:

John working in the coffee shop. His normal wage is €250 pw. Would he get the €350 or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

Again, do your research. 2 separate payments. 1 for those still linked to employer (employer pays and can claim back).

2, separate emergency payment to those who lost their job due to Covid 19. Where employment has ended. Kaput.

You are getting mixed up I think.

The reality is most of those that avail of the 350 payment will return to their employer. Most employers are not in a position to pay the 30% required to have their employees kept for 12 weeks or more

YFlyer wrote: »
    John working in the coffee shop. His normal wage is €250 pw. Would he get the €350 or less?

This hasnt been clarified

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's a little confusing for incomes between €38,000 and €76,000 it says they qualify for €350 maximum. Is this on top of the €410 or instead of. Wording is quite confusing

"An eligible employer will be supported up to 70% of an employee’s take home income up to a maximum weekly tax free payment of €410 (i.e. 70% of take home weekly income of €38,000 per anuum).

The scheme will provide support on incomes up to €76,000 or twice average earnings. It will be capped at net €350 for incomes between €38,000 and €76,000.

The employer is expected to make best efforts to maintain as close to 100% of normal income as possible for the subsidised period.

Revenue will provide further guidance on operation of the scheme.

There will be severe penalties for any abuse of the scheme."

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    The reality is most of those that avail of the 350 payment will return to their employer. Most employers are not in a position to pay the 30% required to have their employees kept for 12 weeks or more

In theory, but there absolutely no guarantees on this. As someone mentioned, back to education has been bumped to 350 also, its crazy. I get it that its not a good look to just bump all welfare to new rate of 350, but theres a difference between some on JSB, recently out of work with requisite PRSI contributions, and someone claiming means tested JSA for the entirety of their working life.

Advertisement