Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBnB and COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone observe any changes in Galway city centre: An ‘Airbnb town’, due to the Covid19 effect?

not yet, but the hopefully this crisis helps to reset the balance

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Watch as many properties suddenly spring up as rental properties. Tourism will take a huge hit so should see a lot of properties being freed up to rent.

Knock on affect will be lower rents.

6 wrote: »
    Watch as many properties suddenly spring up as rental properties. Tourism will take a huge hit so should see a lot of properties being freed up to rent.

I'm holding onto the glimmer of hope that the knock on effects of all this will go a lot further than reducing rents. its crazy to think that as a society we were totally unable to stop the rat race and allowed things to get so bad for us all. the beginning is near

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Still seeing ads on Facebook groups for beds in shared rooms. Are they flipping insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I have an alert on daft for the last while, usually around 60-70 properties in Galway for rent (whole home/apartment), shot up to 104 there over the weekend. Could be a coincidence in timing but I doubt it personally

• Advertisement

cefh17 wrote: »
    I have an alert on daft for the last while, usually around 60-70 properties in Galway for rent (whole home/apartment), shot up to 104 there over the weekend. Could be a coincidence in timing but I doubt it personally

Seriously doubt it. Watch that number rise too.

The price gouging landlords day in the sun is over

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cefh17 wrote: »

Totally predictable: third level students have gone home, tourists aren't coming. I suspect most will be available for 5.5 month let's

Seriously doubt it. Watch that number rise too.

The price gouging landlords day in the sun is over

crazy to think we were totally unable to try force the change we all needed so desperately, instead its taken a contagious virus to come along and do it for us

I suspect most will be available for 5.5 month let's

i have a funny feeling they're in for a shock lol. we're all in for a shock and guess what, we all need a serious shock to get us snapped out of this nonsense society where we're all screwed by the precious system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

pure.conya wrote: »
    crazy to think we were totally unable to try force the change we all needed so desperately, instead its taken a contagious virus to come along and do it for us

The powers that be were totally unwilling...

• Advertisement

BeardySi wrote: »
    The powers that be were totally unwilling...

but this pandemic shows us all that we are the powers that be, we work in the supply chain, we operate the service industry, we make everything, not the CEOs or politicians, unless we're willing to show each other solidarity and exercise our collective bargaining then the politicians and the bankers will just ignore and walk all over us

pure.conya wrote: »
    but this pandemic shows us all that we are the powers that be, we work in the supply chain, we operate the service industry, we make everything, not the CEOs or politicians, unless we're willing to show each other solidarity and exercise our collective bargaining then the politicians and the bankers will just ignore and walk all over us

"we" can't even control our toilet paper buying habits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Some clear examples on renting groups of Airbnbs dipping their feet back in the rental market in the last few days...

..."We are generally Airbnb hosts but due to Covid19 all bookings have been cancelled for March & April so we have a room going for at least the month of April with a possibility to extend.

Price €600 including bills (wifi, elec, bins)"...

Extortionate pricing though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭zell12

24/03/20
    Daft.ie advertising rentals in Galway City
    Room 171
    Apt/House 118

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

This is a lay up for the City council. Get the data from Daft.ie and go after these landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Wompa1 wrote: »
    This is a lay up for the City council. Get the data from Daft.ie and go after these landlords.

Can't assume they were all airbnb properties. There isn't a student left in the city. Many were possibly students rentals in fairness.

Can't assume they were all airbnb properties. There isn't a student left in the city. Many were possibly students rentals in fairness.

It's an assumption based off some logic. For example:

https://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-rent/galway-city/saint-bridgets-place-galway-city-galway-2014683/

Listings that offer a short lease that have pictures of folded towels on beds, decorative mugs and soft furnishings etc. are not the usual Daft rentals. Let's face it, the landlords renting to regular people in Galway make f*ck all effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Let's face it, the landlords renting to regular people in Galway make f*ck all effort.

Wrong. Easy tar all landlords with the same brush, but that statement is bs.

+1

Wompa maybe yours does, but mine certainly isn't like that. And many people I know say similar.

How many places have you rented in the city where they had a 43 inch Smart TV or even multiple TVs? I lived in about 11 different places in the city, I don't think I lived in any that even had matching cups, plates and cutlery. Usually a hodge podge of random pub glasses and easter egg mugs.

You can tell by the lease terms, pictures and state of the places whether they were AirBnB, Trip Advisor or not. Where they have made an effort to get a good rating or not. It hasn't exactly been a renter's market. People could get by with doing minimal effort and they did.

There's an ad up for a place on Headford Road where they'll let you have a longer lease but they put the price up 500 a month after May. There are multiple places with towels folded on the beds. If you have experience as a tenant in the city, you'll know the effort in the pictures is not the norm. It's to give a sense of a hotel\villa.

• Advertisement

Air bnb bubble has burst

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

How many places have you rented in the city where they had a 43 inch Smart TV or even multiple TVs? I lived in about 11 different places in the city, I don't think I lived in any that even had matching cups, plates and cutlery. Usually a hodge podge of random pub glasses and easter egg mugs.

You can tell by the lease terms, pictures and state of the places whether they were AirBnB, Trip Advisor or not. Where they have made an effort to get a good rating or not. It hasn't exactly been a renter's market. People could get by with doing minimal effort and they did.

There's an ad up for a place on Headford Road where they'll let you have a longer lease but they put the price up 500 a month after May. There are multiple places with towels folded on the beds. If you have experience as a tenant in the city, you'll know the effort in the pictures is not the norm. It's to give a sense of a hotel\villa.

You might be right about all that but it would be hard to prosecute someone based on having matching plates. I guess they could add them to a list, send out (pre?) warning letters and monitor.

xckjoo wrote: »
    You might be right about all that but it would be hard to prosecute someone based on having matching plates. I guess they could add them to a list, send out (pre?) warning letters and monitor.
    You check if the property was on AirBnB last month and cross-check with Revenue (if legally allowed) if property got income from AirBnB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Biggest issue will still be that they need people to do it and that'll involve setting up a team, etc.

zell12 wrote: »
    24/03/20
    Room 171
    Apt/House 118

26/03/20
    Room 171
    Apt/House 131

Air bnb bubble has burst

The whole tourism bubble has burst. We’ve had a form of AirBnB for decades. People taking in guests by word of mouth. It’s only in recent years that whole private properties have been used as short term lets.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

https://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-rent/galway-city/saint-bridgets-place-galway-city-galway-2014683/

Listings that offer a short lease that have pictures of folded towels on beds, decorative mugs and soft furnishings etc. are not the usual Daft rentals. Let's face it, the landlords renting to regular people in Galway make f*ck all effort.

I'm not fully sure of regulations so correct me if I'm wrong but can a landlord not rent for a limit of 90 days per year on Airbnb?

So could a Galway city landlord rent a property to students from Sept to May and then rent on Airbnb throughout the summer? With 90 day limit.

Totally agree that anyone letting full time on Airbnb should be stopped. The council don't appear to have been enforcing new rules to date. But Corona has certainly but a halt to the Airbnb for the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Note he says its only available for 5 months. He expects this to have passed by then.

Its now a tenants market. I would be looking for a reduction in rent now.
    If i was looking for a new place id be looking to sign a lease for 12 months at a minimum.

Its time the greed stopped.

You also reverse-image search and see how much they charged on AirBnB

• Advertisement

flynnlives wrote: »
    Note he says its only available for 5 months. He expects this to have passed by then.

Or he's only willing to do let's of less than six months so that tenants don't get part 4 rights.

Advertisement