Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GPS Watch for a gift

Options
  • 24-03-2020 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

I'd like to upgrade my husband's 4 year old Garmin watch for his birthday.

Can any of you fabulous golfers give me some recommendations please? My budget would be up to €250.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Can any of you fabulous golfers give me some recommendations please? My budget would be up to €250.

what does he currently have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I'm looking at it here and it only says Garmin so I don't have the model.

It's fairly basic - around 4/5 years old and only cost around €110 at the time.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

I'm looking at it here and it only says Garmin so I don't have the model.

It's fairly basic - around 4/5 years old and only cost around €110 at the time.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

look on the back of it

Its very faded by looks like Approach S1

approach s40 is an upgrade and a golf specific garmin watch in your budget. if you want to spend a few more quid go with the S60.
    garmin do other watches which have golf features. i have a vivoactive. its more a fitness tracker with golf features.
    i recommend you get a golf watch and not one with golf features. approach series are the garmin golf watches so stick with them.
    if you want to go another brand, maybe a golf buddy wtx

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for your help. The S40 looks great. I know he's happy with the Garmin so it's probably safer for me to stick with that.

Much appreciated!

think mcguirks have them for 269

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Seve OB wrote: »
    think mcguirks have them for 269

Think they might be on sale now Seve under present circumstances..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Wait until May and buy him a Shotscope V3 when it's released. Don't buy the V2 which is now on sale. Be around €250, and is a gps and performance tracker. If he's big into golf and practice he'll love it.

Edit: If you're going for an S40, the tracking system Approach CT10 is an extra €300 in comparison. Over double and in a league below. If it's just for fashion then the S40 is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Hoboo wrote: »
    Wait until May and buy him a Shotscope V3 when it's released. Don't buy the V2 which is now on sale. Be around €250, and is a gps and performance tracker. If he's big into golf and practice he'll love it.

Edit: If you're going for an S40, the tracking system Approach CT10 is an extra €300 in comparison. Over double and in a league below. If it's just for fashion then the S40 is grand.

I'm in the same position. Want to buy the hubby a new watch. His old one is the vivoactive. He's gotten great mileage out of it in fairness . Was looking at the shot scope v2 or the s60 which is about 350 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Hoboo wrote: »

I have the s60....you don't need to buy the tracking system...the watch will ask you to confirm the club you hit after it detects you hit a shot....not a big deal during the round once you get used to it...what it won't be able to pick up though are delicate chips and putts so you can buy a 3 pack of the sensors for 80 quid, which I did.....you simply fix them to your putter and a couple of wedges and it'll automatically pick them up and record your shots around the green for stats....

I'd recommend the s60 but I think you can't go far wrong with the s40 either....both look good on the wrist compared to other makers, e.g. shotscope, as an everyday smart watch which might be important...

i have a vivoactive
    norabattie wrote: »
    I'm in the same position. Want to buy the hubby a new watch. His old one is the vivoactive. He's gotten great mileage out of it in fairness . Was looking at the shot scope v2 or the s60 which is about 350 at the moment.

hmmmm, I’m wondering if Mrs Seve OB might have a secret boards account. Don’t bother with the GPS watch love, I can’t go anywhere at the moment. One of these will do nicely though thanks :D

https://trackmangolf.com/products/simulator

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

hmmmm, I’m wondering if Mrs Seve OB might have a secret boards account. Don’t bother with the GPS watch love, I can’t go anywhere at the moment. One of these will do nicely though thanks :D

https://trackmangolf.com/products/simulator

😂 No my dearest lol.
    I'm hoping hubby doesn't have a boards account 😬

norabattie wrote: »
    �� No my dearest lol.
    I'm hoping hubby doesn't have a boards account ��

Well it was worth a try ;)

Advertisement