Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Withdrawal symptoms

• 24-03-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

So now that all the ranges are closed, and I have nowhere to shoot, I'm beginning to get the shakes. My poor rifles have been cleaned and polished to within an inch of their lives. I miss shooting.

How are you all coping?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was just saying on another thread, my guns haven't gotten this much cleaning in a while. Even took off some scopes, stripped rifles to clean places i didn't know existed. :D

Worse part is the range shut before i got a chance to go back over and zero two firearms so i'm sitting here wondering how to zero one of them without access to the range.

Only good point is i stripped out the gun room and reorganised things. Found loads of bits and pieces i forgot i had. Also done a stock take on ammo. Nice. :cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

There's nothing worse than a rifle sitting in the safe that I know isn't zeroed. It's in there ... mocking me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yup.

I have a 25 yard zero chart done for all my firearms so if it came to it (for safety reasons) i'll hit the bog (the turf kind, not the sh***er) and zero it there, but the other one is my pistol. So no option but to use the range.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

alanmc wrote: »
    So now that all the ranges are closed, and I have nowhere to shoot, I'm beginning to get the shakes. My poor rifles have been cleaned and polished to within an inch of their lives. I miss shooting.

How are you all coping?

Don't own a gun, but maybe you lads could do your country a favour by doing some target practice on the morons not listening to the social distancing advice.:)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

yes, frustrating. Collected new gun and no clays to pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

It's been a tough time without the range. I miss clays the most.

As for the rifles I've been leaving them alone apart from a quick bore snake and oily rag on the barrels. Last thing I want to do is lose zero when there's no range open.

Going forward we could probably do the farmers a favour by hitting the foxes hard as the lambs are born.

In ways I am looking forward to a bit of solo lamping and a few days in the hide after rooks and magpies.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

daft question possibly, can we shoot rooks and magpies ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Max H wrote: »
    daft question possibly, can we shoot rooks and magpies ATM

They can currently be shot under the birds derogation, during the times and for the reasons specified within.

If you need to shoot them outside these constraints you have to apply for a section 42 license.

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Look on the bright side guys you will all be better shots by the time it's all over , with all the dry fire practice your doing at home, or is that SHOULD be doing at home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Or you can build your shtf bunkers, we have had Swine flu, SAR's, now coronavirus, be ready for the next time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fuk it...Go hunting anyway.Its about as soilitary as you can get in sport,so zero chance of infecting anyone,and as you have lets or deals with farmers to shoot over their lands.
    Farming is an essential industry,you are playing an important role in keeping a essential industry functioning by pest control.
    It's why in wartime Britan ICI kept making game load shotgun shells for farmers and those off duty who fancied abit of a shoot.
    Going to see if I can rig my clay trap to foot release and bust few clays,if I can still get them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Actually happy to get a break from the Clay's have been going most weekends since Last years leinster league. Wallet is noticeably heavier

Actually happy to get a break from the Clay's have been going most weekends since Last years leinster league. Wallet is noticeably heavier

Serious clay bashing is not a cheap sport, as i found out years ago. Mind you, neither is centrefire rifle shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

tudderone wrote: »
    Serious clay bashing is not a cheap sport, as i found out years ago. Mind you, neither is centrefire rifle shooting.

Yeah exactly even using the 50 a slab cartridges then entry fee and fodder and go go juice it adds up quick. Think il be staying home for a good while longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Even with this derogation, so to speak, I don't think I'll venture out for a shot. Might give it another 5 days or more and rethink the situation.
    I contact the farmers and see whats what?......

Best advice I can get on this is...Stay the fuk at home!!!

But if you must sally forth,because of vermin control,which is a ligit part of agriculture.Get a written consent from the farmer concerned. Evena text will do confirming that they want you on their lands to control foxes,or whatever needs controlling,and are aware of the risks entailed.At least you have something to back up your claims if you run into the AGS when being out and about. Maybe also in these exceptional times,give the local Div HQ a call and tell them you are going to be out on X farm doing vermin control in wherever addresss ,so in case nerveous ninnies or curtain twitchers are in contact about "terrorists practising shooting" there is no need to send the ERU and ASU units out.

Also this virus can survive apprently over 72 hours on smooth surfaces,and longer on wooden surfaces.So if opening often used farm gates,wear gloves. And pick up,every,last,bit of stuff you might have brought into the farm,like spent shells etc.

We are in strange times and uncharted waters on this folks so err very much on the side of caution if you are going on someone elses property and land. Last thing we neeed now is some farmer going down with this and it is traced back to one of us shooters. That would play havoc with our public image and give the antis a truckload of ammo to fire at us for months after.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Absolutely agree with you Grizz there are far too many uncertainties to the whole lot, regarding the confinement etc etc. My thoughts are that you ( or the likes of me, coming from the towns and cities) may not be all too welcome. Is it worth the hassle or potential hassle if your stopped regardless of justification. As it is I have a two hour round journey to check on my 80+ year old widowed mother and will not be surprised if I have to explian myself in great detail if I'm stopped.
    I have been in contact with the farmers at the start of all this (before actual lock down) and they, understandably were happy to keep themselves to themselves.
    I certainly didn't rush to contact them as to the change in conditions and as I said this one will have to be played by ear and a good dose of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

lads if you do venture out wear rubber gloves this virus can last on surfaces, my wife works in health care and they had a briefing yesterday it can be brought home threw the sole of your boots or shoes so be careful in this sense take your boots off out side and leave them out side or have a bucket of disinfectant to dip your boots into. i sit out on a sheep farm for 2-3 hours of an evening.

Absolutely agree with you Grizz there are far too many uncertainties to the whole lot, regarding the confinement etc etc. My thoughts are that you ( or the likes of me, coming from the towns and cities) may not be all too welcome. Is it worth the hassle or potential hassle if your stopped regardless of justification. As it is I have a two hour round journey to check on my 80+ year old widowed mother and will not be surprised if I have to explian myself in great detail if I'm stopped.
    I have been in contact with the farmers at the start of all this (before actual lock down) and they, understandably were happy to keep themselves to themselves.
    I certainly didn't rush to contact them as to the change in conditions and as I said this one will have to be played by ear and a good dose of common sense.

Leave it for another 12 days at least ,and lets see what is on the 14th,whether this lifts or not.[I doubt it myself] IF one of your farmers contacts you himself in dire straits,and is willing to sign off and send you a text,or email stating such and you are needed badly,I'd STFAH.

Hunter456 wrote: »
    lads if you do venture out wear rubber gloves this virus can last on surfaces, my wife works in health care and they had a briefing yesterday it can be brought home threw the sole of your boots or shoes so be careful in this sense take your boots off out side and leave them out side or have a bucket of disinfectant to dip your boots into. i sit out on a sheep farm for 2-3 hours of an evening.

So that means this stuff can also survive on tyres too,if it can survive on footwear.No wonder the Chinese and Koreans were spraying their streets and buildings.:eek: Lovely another job for someone.

• Advertisement

Is this rotten disease a fact of life from now on ? Sporadic outbreaks of this virus like flu every winter along with the usual agues and poxes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So that means this stuff can also survive on tyres too,if it can survive on footwear.No wonder the Chinese and Koreans were spraying their streets and buildings.:eek: Lovely another job for someone.
    Thats exactly y their were spraying It can last on flat surfaces for a time, I go out behind the house for a walk and maybe ambush a fox but that's as fare as I go it's not worth it,

Is this rotten disease a fact of life from now on ? Sporadic outbreaks of this virus like flu every winter along with the usual agues and poxes ?

Quite possibly,until either humanity develops a herd immunity ,or locks down countries or areas where there is an outbreak,or we develop a vaccine against it.Which might be about Sept by current thinking.So get ready for a long summer and ,infact just write off any sort of plans for 2020.

Quite possibly,until either humanity develops a herd immunity ,or locks down countries or areas where there is an outbreak,or we develop a vaccine against it.Which might be about Sept by current thinking.So get ready for a long summer and ,infact just write off any sort of plans for 2020.

Oh goodie, a summer locked in the house when i have been looking forwards to getting 101 little jobs outside and around the house. All down to the chinese and their scruffy food practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The worrying thing is that it appears to be mutating, spreading etc. at a frightening speed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Would like to think hunting would be deemed essential seen as its meat for the family in these times and its keeping us away from contact with other people but every idiot is now out walking together with their mates or couples and it's just too dangerous to shoot now

Oh goodie, a summer locked in the house when i have been looking forwards to getting 101 little jobs outside and around the house. All down to the chinese and their scruffy food practices.

Hard to belive that 16 weeks ago a in a part of China not many had heard of,a China man decided "Ah good,Bat soup for dinner tonite"and changed the world to the point we could film the opening credits for "I am legend" or" The Omega man" in O Connell St or Times square,not as a post apocalyptic movie,but for a real documentary.:eek::pac:

Would like to think hunting would be deemed essential seen as its meat for the family in these times and its keeping us away from contact with other people but every idiot is now out walking together with their mates or couples and it's just too dangerous to shoot now

Not so long as the butchers and supermarkets can stay supplied,and we dont drop back to ration cards for meat it won't.If the supply chain breaks then deffo. Thing is if that happens,you'd better be wearing kevlar,as I reckon every fool with any sort of a gun will be out shooting at anything that moves with bad cases of "buck fever".At very worst,expect the illegal deer harvesters to start the season around July this year,if this happens and they will be alot more aggressive and blatant about it,as the pittances the game dealers are paying will be laughed at,when you can sell ANY sort of a carcass out your back door for 200 plus euros???
    Dont laugh this off!!! When people are hungry and in food shortages,fresh meat of any kind becomes an ultra premium item on the black market.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Not so long as the butchers and supermarkets can stay supplied,and we dont drop back to ration cards for meat it won't.If the supply chain breaks then deffo. Thing is if that happens,you'd better be wearing kevlar,as I reckon every fool with any sort of a gun will be out shooting at anything that moves with bad cases of "buck fever".At very worst,expect the illegal deer harvesters to start the season around July this year,if this happens and they will be alot more aggressive and blatant about it,as the pittances the game dealers are paying will be laughed at,when you can sell ANY sort of a carcass out your back door for 200 plus euros???
    Dont laugh this off!!! When people are hungry and in food shortages,fresh meat of any kind becomes an ultra premium item on the black market.

The world is only two meals away from barbarism.

• Advertisement

Wasnt't it 9meals from anarchy?

Advertisement