Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daily return transport from Sligo to LYIT

Options
  • 29-02-2020 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have applied to LYIT for this September, I'm really hoping that I will get an offer for the course I want.

However, I live in Sligo and moving to Letterkenny is not an option. I'm a mature student.

Apart from Bus Eireann, does anyone know of any other public transport service that run a daily return service, like any private bus companies etc.

I was in touch with Bus Eireann and even though they do run a daily service and drop you practically to the door, the times aren't great.

I've been speaking to the course coordinator and was I told that the lectures have 3 X 9:30am starts, 1 X 10:30am and 1 X afternoon start at present but this is subject to change.

The Bus Eireann route doesn't arrive until 9:32am which is extremely tight if there was any adverse weather, incidents, roadworks etc. I was also told that the finishing time for lectures is between 4:30 and 5pm. However the return times with BE are 4:10pm or 7:10pm which means that I really won't get back to Sligo until 9:30pm.

I want to give this my best shot as I've never been to college and I am worried that with those travelling times, I won't have sufficient time to study. I'm also concerned that 4+ hours a day on a bus on top of a full time course might be too much as I have other commitments in my home life.

I have a full licence but don't own a car.

I'm just looking for advice on either an alternative public transport option to BE or whether I should look at buying a car. The weekly student pass with BE on that route is €73 and the driving time is 1:30 versus 2 hours 05 mins on the bus.

I thank everyone in advance for any guidance you can give me but please don't leave any smart comments re: students are meant to rough it etc. I have a lot going on in my life at the moment and I am really trying to better it for myself. I will be a lot older than the majority on this course and it will all be very new to me so I'd really appreciate that any replies are just helpful ones. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Hi!

Buy the car. It may work out more expensive but your time is also valuable.

Plus, no hanging around at bustops when is lashing rain, or carrying heavy books/files.

You may even have the opportunity to pick up others who need public transport.

Totally worth it.

As a mature student myself, enjoy every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Hi!

Buy the car. It may work out more expensive but your time is also valuable.

Plus, no hanging around at bustops when is lashing rain, or carrying heavy books/files.

You may even have the opportunity to pick up others who need public transport.

Totally worth it.

As a mature student myself, enjoy every minute.

Thanks so much! Obviously I posted this before all kicked off so I have more or less made up my mind now, don't think even by September I'll want to be taking public transport unnecessarily...still here's hoping we'll be all out of the woods by then. Thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

You're welcome! Best of luck ��

Advertisement