Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can DEGIRO get me into an energy indexed fund while sector tanks?

• 12-03-2020 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Suggestions for 5k while the market is tanking.

Hey Guys,

Im 26 year old based in Ireland with 5k to spare from savings over the last year or so.

Before I piss this money away I want to put it into something constructive. Ive heard a lot of conversation from colleagues and well informed friends that if they had money to spare they would get into some energy companies/funds while their prices are bottoming out with Russia & Saudis race to the bottom for Oil. The logic being, these prices are going to rebound, and also some of these same well established energy companies with their existing infrastructure and resources will be some of the first to gain significant market share in the renewable energy space further down the line.

Is anyone willing to spitball with me and suggest some energy funds I can get into that are offering value right now?

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Are the prices going to rebound? And when? Will companies survive until then? What's the long-term outlook? There was an overhang of oil even before this price cut. There's going to be a lot of bargains out there, not sure energy should be your first pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Oil is an odd one, the price seems massivly discounted because of a row between the Saudis and Putin. They could sort that out in the morning and the likes of Apache could double overnight.

It's not as reliant on Coronavirus as the rest of the economy.

Any yes, DEgiro can get you into Apache

• Registered Users Posts: 4 M A R K

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Oil is an odd one, the price seems massivly discounted because of a row between the Saudis and Putin. They could sort that out in the morning and the likes of Apache could double overnight.

It's not as reliant on Coronavirus as the rest of the economy.

Any yes, DEgiro can get you into Apache

Cheers Man,

I'm kind of thinking a long term play, something I can put the money into and let ticket over for a 10 year (or so) horizon, as opposed to sitting in the credit union.
    Am I even looking in the right direction considering funds?, or are there ETFs or some other instruments that are positioned to perform well over a 10 year period given its industry, and the global state of affairs currently.

I'm work in IT for an insurance company, I have some knowledge about this stuff, but not enough that I would stop me from doing something completely daft. So really just chancing my arm here, trying to mine basic knowledge from other people based in Ireland that have been where Im at one point or another (the lazy option :) )

Kind Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 M A R K

Are the prices going to rebound? And when? Will companies survive until then? What's the long-term outlook? There was an overhang of oil even before this price cut. There's going to be a lot of bargains out there, not sure energy should be your first pick.

Cheers man, what kind of instruments or industries tickle your fancy at the moment and why?
    In regards to long term outlook, I was thinking yes oil is going out of vogue, but these companies will have a significant war chest of money to be at the cutting edge of renewable and have a large market share when that time come, either organically or through acquisition?

Cheers man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

I’m looking for an oil price tracking etf that you can buy on degiro if anyone knows any? I searched for USO but they don’t have that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement