Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims, alcohol and hand sanitisers

• 21-03-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

We are all familiar with Muslims in supermarkets refusing to handle alcohol products or indeed Muslim converts who work as airline hostess's doing likewise. So now with Covid 19 will they refuse to use hand sanitisers? I mean there are no halal hand sanitisers on the market so what will they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

celtenal wrote: »
    We are all familiar with Muslims in supermarkets refusing to handle alcohol products or indeed Muslim converts who work as airline hostess's doing likewise. So now with Covid 19 will they refuse to use hand sanitisers? I mean there are no halal hand sanitisers on the market so what will they do?

Do you drink hand sanitiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

My employer sourced alcohol free hand sanitizer, some people thought they were doing this because of muslim employees but it was the knly sanitizer that could be sourced at short notice. For the records my muslim colleagues don't have a problem with using it. As pointed out they're not drinking it & its permitted given the global emergency.

Do the Muslim airline hostess's or supermarket girls at checkout who refuse to handle alcohol drink alcohol?

Hand sanitiser is not intended to drink. It is for hygiene purposes . Muslims are not forbidden from handling or promoting hygiene products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

What an utterly stupid question. Sorry, I've seen a lot on these forums but this is up there contesting for the most foolish.

Alcohol in the muslim faith is prohibited for consumption and it is prohibited to serve/sell it for the purpose of consumption.

Whatever your faith, would you give someone hand sanitiser if you knew the person was going to drink it?

I know quarantine is hard but surely you can find something better to be doing that asking stupid questions on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WhiteLight20

I don’t believe it to be an issue. Most medial staff working in Ireland are Muslims and follow strict hand sanitising rules just like all medical staff do.

• Advertisement

Ohh I'm sorry you feel like that. Just that I don't want to see them spreading that quran virus you see

That's grand. You can chose whether or not to handle a Quran. Or a Torah. Or a Bible. Or any other text of theological significance to anyreligion or individual. None of these are contagious. I'd redirect your attention to avoiding contracting and spreading Covid-19 if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

1123heavy wrote: »
    What an utterly stupid question. Sorry, I've seen a lot on these forums but this is up there contesting for the most foolish.

Alcohol in the muslim faith is prohibited for consumption and it is prohibited to serve/sell it for the purpose of consumption.

Whatever your faith, would you give someone hand sanitiser if you knew the person was going to drink it?

I know quarantine is hard but surely you can find something better to be doing that asking stupid questions on boards.

Nonsesne, its actually a fair question.

If I remember correctly Mo Salah refused to take part in a celebration where champagne was being opened - he wasnt being asked to drink it, just that it was being sprayed around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

1123heavy wrote: »

This is a very nasty response. It is not a stupid question. There are many different versions of how islam is practiced, some very much based on modern reinterpreation and others highly literal. As normal for the rude PC types you are incorrect and some Muslims are uncomfortable with alcohol hand sanitizer

https://sea.mashable.com/culture/9601/malaysians-are-selling-halal-hand-sanitizers-that-are-alcohol-free
    https://www.siasat.com/coronavirus-demand-halal-hand-sanitizer-rises-1860547/

That been said washing hands with water is definitely better and safer than hand sanizters as they tend to open the skin and allow endocrine disruptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think Muslims coming to Ireland know we are a western culture based on christian beliefs so I am sure they know they would have to make some concessions and would not expect society to change for them, As far as alcohol in hand sanitizer most would know it is only a chemical and it really is not the same as consuming it but like in all religions there are also stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dag12

Its a fair question if your intention is to seek information on a different group of people rather than trying to single them out for whatever reason.

It is not permissible for muslims, to participate in the chain of alcohol consumption. Basically theyre not allowed to work anywhere from working in a factory producing alcoholic drinks to retail and service(in bars and restaurants). It is also impermissible to be in a gathering or sitting at a table where people drink.

Evidence from Islamic source: Abu Dawood (3674) and Ibn Maajah (3380) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed alcohol, the one who drinks it, the one who pours it, the one who sells it, the one who buys it, the one who squeezes (the grapes etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who carries it and the one to whom it is carried.”

With regards to alcohol sanitisers. They're not consumed with the purpose of intoxication and thus have nothing to do with what is stated above. It is permissible to use alcohol for sanitising hands, and any other medical sterilisation or domestic use(cleaning etc).
    There are numerous muslim doctors in Ireland. It would have been a major problem if they didnt use decontamination and sterilisation techniques. It is a non-issue as there is no conflict with religious rulings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

Dag12 wrote: »
    Its a fair question if your intention is to seek information on a different group of people rather than trying to single them out for whatever reason.

It is not permissible for muslims, to participate in the chain of alcohol consumption. Basically theyre not allowed to work anywhere from working in a factory producing alcoholic drinks to retail and service(in bars and restaurants). It is also impermissible to be in a gathering or sitting at a table where people drink.

Evidence from Islamic source: Abu Dawood (3674) and Ibn Maajah (3380) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed alcohol, the one who drinks it, the one who pours it, the one who sells it, the one who buys it, the one who squeezes (the grapes etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who carries it and the one to whom it is carried.”

With regards to alcohol sanitisers. They're not consumed with the purpose of intoxication and thus have nothing to do with what is stated above. It is permissible to use alcohol for sanitising hands, and any other medical sterilisation or domestic use(cleaning etc).
    There are numerous muslim doctors in Ireland. It would have been a major problem if they didnt use decontamination and sterilisation techniques. It is a non-issue as there is no conflict with religious rulings.
    Personally I think it's a fair question regardless of my intentions. Ohh and didn't "the prophet" also say something about the rivers of wine which flow through Jannah whilst also claiming that wine was Saytan's handiwork. Rather contradictory I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Personally I think it's a fair question regardless of my intentions.

And I suppose you’ve gotten your answer then. Most Muslims are just getting on with things and maybe a few muslims are being literal about it and refusing to handle alcohol hand sanitizers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Apologies for the outbreak of stupidity; it has been corrected with celtenal getting an updated permanent ban from the forum as it did not carry over as intended from the previous forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

We live in extraordinary times so I think for most Muslims it’s not an issue to wash their hands with sanitizer be it with alcohol or without.

As for those looking to make the situation as an excuse to poke the Muslims go read the Quran and then you can come back with an educated argument. I say the same to those Muslims who attack Christians go read the Bible first before you enter an argument uneducated an armed with the facts.

I am sure those who come on here just to bait Muslims have never read the Bible and are unchristian in their rhetoric.

Advertisement