Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post to give two free postcards to every household.

• 21-03-2020 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/Postvox/status/1241042158578253824?s=19

The thought is good,but the timing is appalling. They will be sending a postperson house to house,in every village in every town,city,and townland in this country,door to door..instead of minimizing risk to staff and the public,they are actually maximizing risk to staff and the public

Village to village a postman could go, interacting with people ,who because they are kinda stuck at home,will welcome a few words with the postie,it only takes one interaction for that postie to get/be infected and pass it on to the next customer ,the next village or townland ..

Countrywide !! How is this a good idea right now,it needs to be stopped ..

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/1241128990481539073?s=19

Zero thought given to those on the frontline as per the norm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They will be sending a postperson house to house,in every village in every town,city,and townland in this country,door to door..

we're getting post at our house pretty much every day anyway, the notices from banks about upping charges went out in the last week from AIB and Bank of Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we're getting post at our house pretty much every day anyway, the notices from banks about upping charges went out in the last week from AIB and Bank of Ireland,

Some will ,an awful lot won't get post regularly, social distancing is the call,not increasing social contact massively,and it will be a massive increase,unless it's you asked to put yourself at xtra risk you probably won't see the risk .. I see the risk,it's beyond my comprehension tbh. I'm a postie,I see how people really are not taking this threat seriously everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

There are those’ especially elderly and those in rural areas.
    Who’s only contact with the outside world, is with the postman or women.
    Another visit a couple of days later from the postman; may well indicate that something is not right.
    Otherwise we may hear of people, that have succumbed the covid19’ weeks or months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

The virus can be passed on a surface for 7 hours

If the postman has the virus you could be getting more than post delivered ....

The risk of this happening very unlikely though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

And eircom pulling the plug on free @eircom accounts

Not feeling any love from the corporate sector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

unless it's you asked to put yourself at xtra risk you probably won't see the risk .. I see the risk,it's beyond my comprehension tbh..

i suppose its the more isolated people who are more likely to want to engage with you, which would reduce your chances of catching anything, or of passing anything on to a lot of people....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,851 ✭✭✭thesandeman

At least seven people (I'm being very conservative with that figure) will handle each card as well:

1-Somebody at the original distribution centre/sorting office.

2-The postie delivering the cards to me.

3-Me + others in the household.

4-The person who empties the postbox after I post it.

5-Somebody in the sorting office it goes to.

6-The postie delivering it to my contact.

7-The recipient + their household.

So much for washing our hands if we touch a door handle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Any house I've seen has this thing called a "letterbox"

It's usually a small rectangle hole in the door or beside the door.

Sometimes it's a box on it's own.

OP may not have heard of it, but maybe check your front door and you'll see it.

This means that the post person can simply pop the card in without making contact.

Why oh why do some people look for negative angles on even the most positive of ideas??????

copper12 wrote: »
    There are those’ especially elderly and those in rural areas.
    Who’s only contact with the outside world, is with the postman or women.

That's utter rubbish.

It's spouted out by certain politicians and usually always when they want to whine about something.

There is huge community spirit in rural areas - even more so at present.

I live in a rural area, and I come from a rural area and city folk have zero understanding how rural life works.

i suppose its the more isolated people who are more likely to want to engage with you, which would reduce your chances of catching anything, or of passing anything on to a lot of people....

You would be wrong, engaging in every townland daily,with everyone,they all want news,a lot of rural people don't use the internet believe it or not

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    Any house I've seen has this thing called a "letterbox"

It's usually a small rectangle hole in the door or beside the door.

Sometimes it's a box on it's own.

OP may not have heard of it, but maybe check your front door and you'll see it.

This means that the post person can simply pop the card in without making contact.

Why oh why do some people look for negative angles on even the most positive of ideas??????

Would you go door to door ,on average about 7-800 houses ,in this current climate ,when it's needless risk to actual lives ? Seriously, you have no idea how much regular contact a postie is in with their customers, it's different in cities .. outside cities contact is often,and regular.

It's a nice idea like I said, the timing is terrible

Social distancing remember

That's utter rubbish.

It's spouted out by certain politicians and usually always when they want to whine about something.

I live in a rural area, and I come from a rural area and city folk have zero understanding how rural life works.

Far more than cities , social contact is huge,the postie is well known, regularly spoken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Yes, I got mine. It's nice to see them help out in these trying times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

worded wrote: »

Have you a reputable source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

NIMAN wrote: »

Surface isn't a very exact phrase, I can see it varying by material. I've read that it was thought that it could only survive in the air for a few hours but on some surfaces for days.

NIMAN wrote: »

The poster probably saw a fakebook post or something in the daily muck that said

"in some circumstances it is "possible" that the virus "could" survive several hours on a surface."

In the same way it is "possible" that over 10,000 car drivers "could" have a head on crash today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

worded wrote: »

7 hours on any surface is complete rubbish.where's the link to that please?do you have a source to that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone got the actual time it survives on surfaces?

Not happy with my work situation at all but we have been told tough shīt basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

7 hours on any surface is complete rubbish.where's the link to that please?do you have a source to that claim?

Cardboard 24 hours, surfaces 2- 3 days according to a BBC future article based on research, published in New England Journal of Medicine.

citysights wrote: »
    Cardboard 24 hours, surfaces 2- 3 days according to a BBC future article based on research, published in New England Journal of Medicine.

Are you having a laugh.so every delivery driver in the country is screwed.everything they have been told about the parcels they are delivering is totally incorrect.

• Advertisement

"But how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don't know. A new analysis found that the virus can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 72 hours. This study was originally published in the preprint database medRxiv on March 11, and now a revised version was published March 17 in The New England Journal of Medicine. "

The key phrase being " short answer is we don't know"

Anyone answering anything other than “I don’t know” is a liar. Too many posters are too interested in point scoring over everything else on all aspects around this virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

How do you know it's complete rubbish? Where is your source?

The most favorite 2 words of scaremongerers

"up to"

The w.h.o says avoid any unnecessary contact with people, but posties have to go to every house on their route now,to those who are not getting mail,just to deliver postcards,which will require that recipient to leave their home to go post,which in turn requires another postie or two ,to actually deliver them to the addressee ..

And this is a 'lovley gesture' ..

But fcuk the staff ,who will be in contact with 500-1000 people , a lot ... needlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

That's utter rubbish.

That has not been my experience to date even before this outbreak
    Numerous times I have been the only person people have spoken to in a week
    A five minute chat is not a hardship to most.
    Last week elderly couple one with dementia I moved the wheelie bins out
    All of five minuets’ no hard ship on my part just courtesy and empathy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I keep asking this question about letters and plastic bags of stuff left on doorsteps and don't get an answer...and I do think it's because while there is evidence to say it does last on surfaces, we don't know for how long and that it doesn't transmit.. so so we hand over mother's days cards tomorrow? Beautiful kind simple gesture but do I want to risk it? Yes, it sounds pedantic but I do think it's an issue.. expecting to be slated here for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

"But how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don't know. A new analysis found that the virus can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 72 hours. This study was originally published in the preprint database medRxiv on March 11, and now a revised version was published March 17 in The New England Journal of Medicine. "

The key phrase being " short answer is we don't know"

It might not be 100% certain but we do have an idea of its persistence on various surfaces. See table below. I will highlight though that I don't know that in the laboratory test they aren't detecting these viruses at a level below that likely to infect somebody handling the object.

Type of surface Virus Strain / isolate Inoculum (viral titer) Temperature Persistence Reference
    Steel MERS-CoV Isolate HCoV-EMC/2012 105 20°C
    30°C 48 h
    8–24 h [21]
    TGEV Unknown 106 4°C
    20°C
    40°C ≥ 28 d
    3–28 d
    4–96 h [22]
    MHV Unknown 106 4°C
    20°C
    40°C ≥ 28 d
    4–28 d
    4–96 h [22]
    HCoV Strain 229E 103 21°C 5 d [23]
    Aluminium HCoV Strains 229E and OC43 5 x 103 21°C 2–8 h [24]
    Metal SARS-CoV Strain P9 105 RT 5 d [25]
    Wood SARS-CoV Strain P9 105 RT 4 d [25]
    Paper SARS-CoV Strain P9 105 RT 4–5 d [25]
    SARS-CoV Strain GVU6109 106
    104 RT 24 h
    3 h
    < 5 min [26]
    Glass SARS-CoV Strain P9 105 RT 4 d [25]
    HCoV Strain 229E 103 21°C 5 d [23]
    Plastic SARS-CoV Strain HKU39849 105 22°-25°C ≤ 5 d [27]
    MERS-CoV Isolate HCoV-EMC/2012 105 20°C
    30°C 48 h
    8–24 h [21]
    SARS-CoV Strain P9 105 RT 4 d [25]
    SARS-CoV Strain FFM1 107 RT 6–9 d [28]
    HCoV Strain 229E 107 RT 2–6 d [28]
    PVC HCoV Strain 229E 103 21°C 5 d [23]
    Silicon rubber HCoV Strain 229E 103 21°C 5 d [23]
    Surgical glove (latex) HCoV Strains 229E and OC43 5 x 103 21°C ≤ 8 h [24]
    Disposable gown SARS-CoV Strain GVU6109 106
    104 RT 2 d
    24 h
    1 h [26]
    Ceramic HCoV Strain 229E 103 21°C 5 d [23]
    Teflon HCoV Strain 229E 103 21°C 5 d [23]

MERS = Middle East Respiratory Syndrome; HCoV = human coronavirus; TGEV = transmissible gastroenteritis virus; MHV = mouse hepatitis virus; SARS = Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome; RT = room temperature

Table 1 from this paper
    https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/s0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

The paper itself may be useful to be people as it also goes into methods of cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

your house receiving post "pretty much everyday" is not representative of every house, can you even compute the totally unnecessary risks involved in this useless exercise?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,930 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

People, you cannot get it through your skin!!!!

If you are very worried and handle something that someone else has handled without gloves, then wash your hands immediately and properly, before you touch your face.

If your post man uses the letter box, clean it afterwards. It's not hard, it's only once a day.
    You should be cleaning all touchable surfaces everyday anyway (door handles, taps etc)

Advertisement