Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car almost 30 yrs old

Options
  • 12-03-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello
    I have a 1990 BMW 325 cab that will be 30yrs old on 23rd March .
    Whats the process to get my vintage tax ?? Heard conflicting advise , go to VRT office & go to local tax office ????
    Thank God €1080 rd tax is finished !!!!!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hello
    I have a 1990 BMW 325 cab that will be 30yrs old on 23rd March .
    Whats the process to get my vintage tax ?? Heard conflicting advise , go to VRT office & go to local tax office ????
    Thank God €1080 rd tax is finished !!!!!!
    Thanks

Your local tax office. Its a straight forward procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It will start increasing in value now. Mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

A quick follow up question to the OP's.

Will they have to wait until April 1st before they can avail of the vintage tax rate, or can they tax it on March 23rd, for the month of March? I'm assuming since it was not 30 years old on March 1st, that the old ( €1080 ) tax rate applies for that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

If the OP does it in March, they will tax it from March 1st but at €56 pa, who cares!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Bear in mind that vintage tax kicks in from the 30 year anniversary of manufacture date, not registration date. Think RF150 is the form you need if you want to just post it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

kdevitt wrote: »
    Bear in mind that vintage tax kicks in from the 30 year anniversary of manufacture date, not registration date. Think RF150 is the form you need if you want to just post it in.

the opposite is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Isambard wrote: »

Not in Wexford!

No, its actually not. I've done it twice, and actually read the regulations on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I tried to avail of the date of registration rule,(car manufactured 13 November 1989) but on the tax book it said April 12th 1990 as date of first registration. Yer wan behind the counter in the tax office was just giving me the computer says no. Got onto Shannon, and they told me to get onto revenue. I didn't bother after that, tbh. I wasn't going to be driving the car in the winter, so it really would have been no advantage to me, save I could have drove it on the odd good days that's starting to appear now.

• Advertisement

I tried to avail of the date of registration rule,(car manufactured 13 November 1989) but on the tax book it said April 12th 1990 as date of first registration. Yer wan behind the counter in the tax office was just giving me the computer says no. Got onto Shannon, and they told me to get onto revenue. I didn't bother after that, tbh. I wasn't going to be driving the car in the winter, so it really would have been no advantage to me, save I could have drove it on the odd good days that's starting to appear now.

I've only ever done it by post, it avoids dealing with idiots.
    When is a Vehicle Classed As Vintage & Taxation of Vintage & Veteran Vehicle
    A vehicle is classed as a vintage/veteran once its 30 years old from date of manufacture and a concessionary rate of motor tax applies – See List of Motor Tax Rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's a matter of interpretation and your quote is worthless without a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think they usually go by the reg date unless you can (argue and) prove the manufacturing date. With VWs this could be done with a "birth cert" from Wolfsburg.
    This is my experience with imports anyway.

I think they usually go by the reg date unless you can (argue and) prove the manufacturing date. With VWs this could be done with a "birth cert" from Wolfsburg.
    This is my experience with imports anyway.

Correct. You obviously need to get the confirmed manufacturing date, BMW supply it by email which is accepted by the tax office.

Advertisement