Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stheno wrote: »
    So likely they actually cant as they dont have the capacity and have not planned for this
    This. I posted it elsewhere but yes, just because the organisation can let you remote in via Citrix or whatever, doesn't mean they're able to let everyone remote in.
    Now ideally, they'd have foreseen this but there wasn't a huge time frame to get this in place for many, especially if it meant ordering new hardware, etc.

Have you asked for the reason they won't let you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Governor Cuomo of New York State has ordered all cos not providing essential services to half their office workforce on site.
    This is to lower the density

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What type of bomb though?

I imagine a pipe bomb would be relatively inexpensive.

Pipe bombs do not cost multiples of 100k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Not all companies have the backend infrastructure in place to allow everyone work from home. A lot of big companies have invested very little in IT since the last crash. Best thing to do is practice social distancing on the way to and from work and also while in the office. Wash hands frequently and avoid touching your face. A large number of businesses are still running and will have to continue to do so
    That said this person is under no obligation to continue going to work if there is not sufficient space or if they have an immunocompromised relative.

If you don't have any Annual Leave accrued, I would request a period of unpaid leave.

Or weigh up your ability to manage for yourself without a job for now against how valuable the actual job is to you, and quit.

It's health over wealth for me, every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The HSE are telling people who are returning to the country to self isolate, it's on their website. At the airport today, one of their reps came to us at arrivals and told us to go straight home and isolate.

Your boss needs to be made aware.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Stheno wrote: »
    So likely they actually cant as they dont have the capacity and have not planned for this

My company recently had to upgrade wfh capacity for an extra 5000 people - took six weeks and is working well

Cost a bomb however

No, likely they do have the capacity as they will all work from home if the office shuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If the office shuts they will have no option but to try and have everybody work from home. It doesn't follow, though, that they have the capacity to do so.

As others have pointed out, even if every worker has Citrix or a similar interface installed on a laptop or home PC, they could have two problems:

First, they simply may not have the technical capacity/infrastructure to suppor everyone logging in on Citrix at the same time. They may be in a position analagous to a company in which 500 workers have access to a car, but the business premises has only 50 parking spaces - anyone can drive to work when necessary, but not everyone can drive to work on the same day.

The capacity limitation can be resolved by buying and installing additional equipment or otherwise upgrading the necessary resources, but this can't be done overnight (especially when you are unlikely to be the only company trying to do this right now).

The second problem is the legal one - their licensing of the software they use may limit the number of people who can use it remotely at any time. This is a common feature of software licences. Again, you can resolve the problem by negotiating (and paying for) a more liberal licence but, again, this takes time, and is not entirely within your control. And the software house may have its own technical reasons for not wanting, or not being able, vastly to increase the number of people able to work remotely at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

I’d probably ask them to put that instruction in writing, and when asked why, I’d say so that if anyone dies from Covid as a result of me not being allowed to WFH, I can pass their next of kin your instructions so I can transfer liability.

If they refuse, then I’d ask them how they can prove they gave me the instruction not to WFH, and then WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Thanks for many trolls here, I only came here to see weather I had right to be pissed over the whole thing.

On more positive news I contacted manager himself today.
    Sent hse guidelines and department of social affairs link.
    They tried to veasel out saying that that notification was made 17th.
    But we where not in workplace that day. Witch means that they should have checked guidelines before leaving her in building.
    She is now gone.
    And I'm not even sure rest can go near place now because its not ventilated enought.

People need to make sure they protect themselves and stop making big joke out of it. Most families have vonurable members.

Think of others not be selfish because you might loose out on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

pgj2015 wrote: »
    -China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

Best to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

The workplace is the most difficult place to try and control this. Most people get how serious it is and how to clean and behave in accordance with guidelines.

BUT there is always a few a***holes who just wont listen and make it so hard on everyone else

My stress levels rise every day once I go through the door and I feel I am very close to losing it with someone

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged and title changed

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

mea_k wrote: »
    Thanks for many trolls here, I only came here to see weather I had right to be pissed over the whole thing.

On more positive news I contacted manager himself today.
    Sent hse guidelines and department of social affairs link.
    They tried to veasel out saying that that notification was made 17th.
    But we where not in workplace that day. Witch means that they should have checked guidelines before leaving her in building.
    She is now gone.
    And I'm not even sure rest can go near place now because its not ventilated enought.

People need to make sure they protect themselves and stop making big joke out of it. Most families have vonurable members.

Think of others not be selfish because you might loose out on holiday.

I'm glad it worked out for you eventually. You were right to stand up for yourself and vulnerable loved ones. As for the trolls and kids making fun of people who are trying to take precautions by wearing masks/gloves and distancing themselves, you just have to ignore them. It's called the arrogance of youth and they know no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Michael O Leary announced today all staff including himself are taking a 50% pay cut .
    Its easy for him on a Million a year down to 500K but to be cutting someone on 26K down to 13K a year is a lot different , surely those earning over 100K should take a greater cut than those earning just above minimum wage cabin crew etc.

The company have 4 Billion in cash, surely they could pay their wages for a few weeks. Just more keep the small amount of rich superrich rich and drive the poor into the ground .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

They are lucky to get anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

O'Leary will be seeing this as an opportunity to take advantage of airlines that fail by filling their routes. Flybe has already gone to the wall and others will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

If the Cabin crew earn any less they will have to start eating the scratch cards to stay alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

bush wrote: »
    They are lucky to get anything at all

Your right look after the shareholder oligarchs whilst the staff get paid peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

hurler32 wrote: »
    Your right look after the shareholder oligarchs whilst the staff get paid peanuts.

But if the company runs out of cash they'll be no wages for the staff to get?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But if the company runs out of cash they'll be no wages for the staff to get?

Run out of Cash, O Leary himself said theyve enough for 12 months today ie 4 Billion. Could they not pay the staff for a month rather than attack the poor b*stards earning just above minimum wage as cabin crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Look Im not a fan of MOL but I wont throw him under the bus. Its a difficult time and his is one of the industry's hit the hardest. I have doubts that his business model will survive a crisis like this but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Run out of Cash, O Leary himself said theyve enough for 12 months today ie 4 Billion. Could they not pay the staff for a month rather than attack the poor b*stards earning just above minimum wage as cabin crew.

And that is based on 50% staff pay. You seriously think planes will be only grounded for a month? Lucky they're being paid at all.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    And that is based on 50% staff pay. You seriously think planes will be only grounded for a month? Lucky they're being paid at all.

The cabin crew at the bottom wont impact the 4 Billion much . Should be a tiered percentage cut. There are plenty of Billionaire shareholders who could step in if needed rather than starving the poor at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

are they working and getting 50% pay or sitting at home and getting 50% pay?

If I was working then I would be fairly miffed but if I was sitting at home I would be slightly happier as a lot of employers are not paying anything to staff

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

clevtrev wrote: »

If I was working then I would be fairly miffed but if I was sitting at home I would be slightly happier as a lot of employers are not paying anything to staff

Not sure what working you could be doing if the planes are grounded.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's for April and May. Flying staff won't be working. Staff are getting full pay for March despite not working for a lot of it.

It's important that executive staff are working full time. Many admin grades will be working full time while others will not be working. Quiet a few pilots will be doi g training courses during the downtime to qualify on alternate airplane types.

The cabin crew though will be off work with 50% pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭trumptheman

Do you want Ryan Air to wipe your hole for you as well?

Be happy your getting 50%, could easily give nothing.

Your one of the lucky ones to be getting 50%.

What do you want? Sit at home for the next three months and get paid full wages? Be realistic here.

I say fair play to Ryan air for doing it, I doubt any other airline is doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why is it only an issue when Ryanair does this? Does the OP not realise that thousands have been laid off without a word or a cent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Exactly.

Don't think too many companies in too many industries are giving staff full pay to stay home and not come to work. If anybody knows of any, I'd love to hear about it.

If the choice is either stay at home on half pay from your employer, or else be let go completely and have to apply for the €203 per week Covid 19 payment, I'd be happier with the first of those myself. Even somebody on 26k dropping to 13k would still be getting more than €203 per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

listermint wrote: »
    Not sure what working you could be doing if the planes are grounded.....

there are a lot of people employed in Ryanair that have nothing to do with a plane

Advertisement