Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Looks like going without a battery makes sense. Hopefully the grid can become a pseudo battery with some credit/FIT. I have a excel sheet comparing systems with potential generation against my 2019 consumption trend. I cant post, in summary it estimates a 4 Kw system could shave €400 off an annual bill of €800 with a payback period of 16years. Does this sound correct? Almost all my usage is during the day. Hot water is beneficial to me, as I do save on power to my washing machine and dishwasher by having hot water plumbed in and available. This means I do have to light my range every second day or so in summer...

Yes that sounds about right. This is a realistic payback estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

unkel wrote: »
    And panels are not disposed after 20-25 years. Panels last for many decades. Performance goes down over time, but only very little.

Good point.

So it seems there is potential from Cadmium leeching from broken up and improperly disposed off panels but not with intact panels. But then improperly disposing off an AA battery also causes harm. One thing these studies don’t compare is the amount of heavy metals let into the atmosphere by a coal burning power station. A truly scientific comparison would look at both sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ggsolar ireland

The payback would be 7.9yrs if there was a FIT in place similar to that in the UK and Europe about 5 years ago. when the FIT in the UK was 13p/kwh and an additional 4p/kwh a total of 17p/kwh.

Our gov. here are dragging their feet at deciding a FIT rate.

If you where replacing your fireplace, my opinion would be to install a cast iron stove with back boiler. This has been shown to be one of the most efficient way's to heat home. Gas central heating is the most economical heating source as the boilers now are plus 90% efficient and the price of gas is a 5c/kwh. The out lay for a heat transfer system is way expensive and not as efficient.

I think the best way to go is Nuclear as the waste and material requirement is really low compared to all forms of alternative energies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

If you where replacing your fireplace, my opinion would be to install a cast iron stove with back boiler. This has been shown to be one of the most efficient way's to heat home. Gas central heating is the most economical heating source as the boilers now are plus 90% efficient and the price of gas is a 5c/kwh. The out lay for a heat transfer system is way expensive and not as efficient.

The SEAI have done up a sheet which compares the delivered energy cost for different fuel types (p2 of the link below). Gas, as you say, works out cheaper than most other fuel types (oil, wood, coal, etc) at 7.62c assuming an efficient condensing boiler. However, heat pumps are the cheapest of all to run with unit cost ranging from 8c to 4c depending on performance. If you're on night rate electricity, this figure is halved for one third of the day.

https://www.seai.ie/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf

Of course this sheet only covers the unit cost - not the capital cost of installing (or retrofitting) the various systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snhjou

I've been quoted for 14 Bisol 310w.

Battery System (Alpha)
    4.34kWp of modules kitted to 5.7kWh battery storage
    14 x Bisol 310w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*
    Ground mouting
    Projoy Fire Safety Switch
    Garo Switch Gear
    Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity
    Costing
    €10750(inclusive of VAT)
    Without grant.

Any thoughts/experience of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

Snhjou wrote: »
    I've been quoted for 14 Bisol 310w.

Battery System (Alpha)
    4.34kWp of modules kitted to 5.7kWh battery storage
    14 x Bisol 310w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*
    Ground mouting
    Projoy Fire Safety Switch
    Garo Switch Gear
    Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity
    Costing
    €10750(inclusive of VAT)
    Without grant.

Any thoughts/experience of that?

I got a similar quote for a very similar 4.34KWp Bisol system (probably the same guys), tile roof mounted though, for 10K (inc vat) - 3K grant = 7K

From my research, the Alpha gives a big battery for the price, looks good enough to possibly put inside the living space of your house (assuming you like star-wars style decor), but is not as widespread as the bigger named stuff in tha market (solax etc), so support might be a little riskier in the medium to long term.

However, one useful feature I think the alpha has is a couple of relay-driver-outputs, with programmable conditional control. This could be easily used to turn on and off the immersion, for the cost of a bit of wire and an extra contacter in the consumer-unit. (plus electrician labour of course....). A Poor-Mans Eddi, so to speak.....which might actually have an economic payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

I’m going ground mounted (console bins ) , grant less, and battery less for varying reasons . I already have a zappi , ev and phev
    18 *345W Q cells
    6 kw solis inverter
    8k incl vat installed

jimmyging wrote: »
    I’m going ground mounted (console bins ) , grant less, and battery less for varying reasons . I already have a zappi , ev and phev
    18 *345W Q cells
    6 kw solis inverter
    8k incl vat installed
    Hot Water Diverter is an additional cost of €400.

And do I need optimizers?

• Advertisement

jimmyging wrote: »
    18 *345W Q cells
    6 kw solis inverter
    8k incl vat installed
    My panels are on a metal frame, I do not know what is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

dont know about the install but a panel is about 150 and a console bin is about 50 euro both including vat.

So 4k buys the panels including vat. and the inverter is 1162 including vat.

5k for most of the parts leaves 3k for install.

I know there are a few more consumables but it sounds very high margin for profit for a ground install that should be largely possible for a DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

phester28 wrote: »
    dont know about the install but a panel is about 150 and a console bin is about 50 euro both including vat.

So 4k buys the panels including vat. and the inverter is 1162 including vat.

5k for most of the parts leaves 3k for install.

I know there are a few more consumables but it sounds very high margin for profit for a ground install that should be largely possible for a DIY

You’re correct phester but this is the best of a bad lot of quotes I’m getting . If you break it down it looks like there is 2.5 k for installation so for one guy doing two 8 hour days that’s €150 / hour rate . I went to college for 5 years and I don’t earn that ...! I know these are average figures but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Ok final scores on the doors - got quotes from 5 different installers. Looked for 10 panels - no battery, no hot water diverter. Scaled them for cost per watt and then adjusted further for "quality" by dividing by yield at 25 years!

Supplier Cost incl grant Installed capacity Cost per w D Factor (Qual) Overall D/E
    D 3400 3000 1.13 0.8 1.42
    E 4700 3200 1.46 0.85 1.73
    B 7600 4000 1.9 0.87 2.18
    B 6700 (7 pan) 3200 2.09 0.87 2.41
    A 5900 3000 1.97 0.8 2.46
    C 4185 (6pan) 1980 2.14 0.85 2.49
    C 5039 (7 pan) 2340 2.15 0.85 2.53
    A 4565 (7 pan) 2100 2.17 0.8 2.72

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can you amend the proposed size of your array after you have applied for the grant does anyone know?

Do I need planning permission for a ground mount solar system?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Planning exempt subject to conditions...always best to seek independent advice from an appropriate professional for your specific setup.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2007/si/83/made/en/print

c) The installation or erection of a solar panel on, or within the curtilage of a house, or any buildings within the curtilage of a house.

....5. The height of a free-standing solar array shall not exceed 2 metres, at its highest point, above ground level.6. A free-standing solar array shall not be placed on or forward of the front wall of a house.7. The erection of any free standing solar array shall not reduce the area of private open space, reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house, to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Thats a very good quote.

are you going grid tied with batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Long time viewer of the renewal energy threads and I thoroughly enjoy the discussion and help provided. Going to bite the bullet this year and hopefully get a Solar PV setup to do my bit for the environment. I just want to get everything clear in my mind before getting companies out for quotes etc.

A bit of background. We have a double fronted 4 bed in Dublin that's East facing with Tiled roof. There is always someone in the house during the week as both of us work from home on rotating days. Utilities like dishwater, washing machine etc. are normally on during the day. We have 3 young kids so the demand for hot water is quite high. Energy consumption for last year was 4343 KW.

I would love a steer on what would be the best setup required?

- Should I go to with 4KW worth of PV Panels if I can fit them (think I can). 300,325 seem to be the cheap option than the 400s.
    - Where should I place the panels to maximise the power produced? Split over different sides of roof?
    - Should I divert any excess power to hot water? iBoost is the piece of equipment?
    - I don't see the value in adding a battery. Am I right?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

OnLooker wrote: »
    Long time viewer of the renewal energy threads and I thoroughly enjoy the discussion and help provided. Going to bite the bullet this year and hopefully get a Solar PV setup to do my bit for the environment. I just want to get everything clear in my mind before getting companies out for quotes etc.

A bit of background. We have a double fronted 4 bed in Dublin that's East facing with Tiled roof. There is always someone in the house during the week as both of us work from home on rotating days. Utilities like dishwater, washing machine etc. are normally on during the day. We have 3 young kids so the demand for hot water is quite high. Energy consumption for last year was 4343 KW.

- Should I go to with 4KW worth of PV Panels if I can fit them (think I can). 300,325 seem to be the cheap option than the 400s.
    - Where should I place the panels to maximise the power produced? Split over different sides of roof?
    - Should I divert any excess power to hot water? iBoost is the piece of equipment?

PM sent.

• Advertisement

If you send me the coordinates of your house I’d probably be able to help you out.
    OnLooker wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

If you send me the coordinates of your house I’d probably be able to help you out.
    PM sent. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

https://www.suncalc.org/#/40.1789,-3.5156,3/2020.03.19/13:41/1/3
    very handy website to see solar gain through out the year. put in your eircode or address and see

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Finally diving into getting a PV system, some great info here .

Have a large South & SW facing roof which could easily take 10-14 panels in limerick area.
    Got one quote so far from nationwide company

12 panel system
    3.72 kw
    Hybrid inverter (no size specified)
    2.4kw battery
    Power diverter for immersion

€10,200 inc VAT after grant.

Based on what I’m reading here , it Seems high to me , but finding it hard to get any other firm quotes . Any ideas ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mun1 wrote: »

Have a large South & SW facing roof which could easily take 10-14 panels in limerick area.

12 panel system
    3.72 kw
    2.4kw battery

Based on what I’m reading here , it Seems high to me , but finding it hard to get any other firm quotes . Any ideas ?

Most quotes I got for a very similar system (though excluding hot water diverter) would have been around that mark before grant.

12 panel system
    3.72 kw
    2.4kw battery

Tried to send PM but not permitted.

My system cost €6400, after grant. Similarly specced to above. That quote seems way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What the lads said. That system should cost no more than about €6k incl VAT after the grant. Some companies like that active company with an 8 in their name try to rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Had to change my options to allow PM to go through. Should be good to go now

• Advertisement

Had to change my options to allow PM to go through. Should be good to go now

Sent now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement