Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Has anyone asked why? Have you seen your business continuity plan? This may go some way to explain the reasoning.

Concurrent licensing of software that allows remote access may restrict the amount of staff who can work. Many companies (mine included) are providing temporary (free) licences to enable more of the workforce from home, it can get quite expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

krissovo wrote: »
    Has anyone asked why? Have you seen your business continuity plan? This may go some way to explain the reasoning.

Concurrent licensing of software that allows remote access may restrict the amount of staff who can work. Many companies (mine included) are providing temporary (free) licences to enable more of the workforce from home, it can get quite expensive.

I don't work there so I'm not sure exactly why but my friend says that it would make no difference if in the office or at home, the same work can be done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

timhenn wrote: »
    I don't work there so I'm not sure exactly why but my friend says that it would make no difference if in the office or at home, the same work can be done.

How would they connect to the work network?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fryup wrote: »
    this is what happens folks...paranoia

i suppose if people so much as sneeze in the workplace they'd be looked upon with suspicion, people need to get a grip

I was embarrassed for the people I saw today wearing masks out in the open, gloves etc. I walked close to some woman who nearly jumped out of the way like I was Larry Murphy or something.

Stheno wrote: »
    How would they connect to the work network?

They have some program or something, it all set up already! They all had to test it at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Your boss sounds like a dipsh!t

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They have some program or something, it all set up already! They all had to test it at home.

All at the same time doing a full normal days work?

Or "test this works for minutes and you can connect" type testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'm in a similar situation, perfectly able to work from home, but they will still only allow it in exceptions (such as family member with symptoms and waiting to be tested etc). I don't understand it, it just doesn't make sense. Infrastructure is there. They will not give us a reason. We sit closely together in the office, there is no social distancing. They are putting people's health at risk for no reason.

All at the same time doing a full normal days work?

Or "test this works for minutes and you can connect" type testing?

No because only some have been told to work from home! If the company shuts, then they'll all work from home.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation, perfectly able to work from home, but they will still only allow it in exceptions (such as family member with symptoms and waiting to be tested etc). I don't understand it, it just doesn't make sense. Infrastructure is there. They will not give us a reason. We sit closely together in the office, there is no social distancing. They are putting people's health at risk for no reason.

It just doesn't seem right! There's no excuse for it. The lives of people and their families should be number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

A relation of mine returned from a trip to uk and was told bluntly to stay away from work for 2 weeks , in my opinion rightly so and they have no issue with doing so .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You need people power OP.

People returning from Cheltenham were originally going to be allowed back in to our office.

There was such a meltdown that a swift about turn was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

miezekatze wrote: »

This is all kinds of wrong, There should be clear and open communication given to staff at this time and rationale for decisions taken. There may be valid reasons for their stance but employees must be told.

anewme wrote: »
    You need people power OP.

People returning from Cheltenham were originally going to be allowed back in to our office.

There was such a meltdown that a swift about turn was done.

My uncle in the midlands related a tale of a lad who was hauled into the head office after a jaunt to Cheltenham on the sly:

"I have reliable information that you travelled to England last week".
    "Sir, as you are aware I was out sick".
    "Try again, and this is your last chance to come clean. Beware that there will be an investigation pending and disciplinary action taken as necessary".
    "Alright, it's true what they say. I was booked over for several days and didn't want to lose money cancelling out."
    "Thank you. You are now taking a fourteen day sabbatical at home as per our new guidelines on workplace safety. And by the way, we will still be preparing on investigation into your conduct."

He won't be coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mea_k wrote: »
    Our coworker returned to work today - after beeing in UK nightclubs and for past 3 days.
    None of us are happy. Manager now put big sign on office door saying that UK is deemed safe to travel to and back and also if person doesn't feel unwell they are fine to work.
    My problem is yesterday was announced that now anyone travelling to UK or back has to quaranteene themselves. Also covid19 symptoms won't show untill few days. And she will have whole place infected by then sureley.
    Respectedly she returned to work today. After that took place.

Do we have right to request her leave and quaranteene herself?

It's getting quite heated in work, we do deal with public also.

LOL some management skills. Basically a spot the rabid dog sign.

Some managers are clueless asshats. I know of someone who returned Monday from the states, has travelled through multiple airports, has the capability to work remotely and the manager asked them to come straight into work today. When they raised the whole concern around the epidemic the manager literally just asked how do you feel now.

Gob****tery is alive and well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

mea_k wrote: »
    I'm sure HR will be hearing from 30+ people.
    My mum, who looks after my son while I work has lung problem.
    Now I don't know what to do, I had to pick my son up today at her gate. I was so scared going in.
    I just thought ill ask what everyone else thinks before I blow my lid tomarrow

I lost it today and complained in work it’s not being treated seriously enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I was embarrassed for the people I saw today wearing masks out in the open, gloves etc. I walked close to some woman who nearly jumped out of the way like I was Larry Murphy or something.

Same. Morons. Was in Tesco earlier and there was some oul one who must have been on the same route I was, everytime she passed someone she put her hand over her mouth, as if that was gonna save her if someone was infected. Hopefully once Corona is done they can search for a cure for stupid.

OP give her a big Hollywood kiss, then isolate for 14 days. If you don’t go down with it, she’s safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pinkyeye wrote: »
    The numbers in the UK per capita are actually better than ours so what is the problem?

The numbers in the UK are false as they're not testing like here.

Look at the number of deaths though, Much higher than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What time do we make jiggy?

14 days. Looks like shes just gone into quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

The uk have had almost 300 deaths while Germany has 50. 12000 positives in Germany compared to 2600 in uk. The place is riddled they’re just not testing

• Advertisement

Same. Morons. Was in Tesco earlier and there was some oul one who must have been on the same route I was, everytime she passed someone she put her hand over her mouth, as if that was gonna save her if someone was infected. Hopefully once Corona is done they can search for a cure for stupid.

OP give her a big Hollywood kiss, then isolate for 14 days. If you don’t go down with it, she’s safe.

I saw some ejit wearing gloves, then he touched his face around his eye with the gloves lol

I always knew there was a lot of stupid people around but this virus has really made it hit home. There are a lot of people around as well who wont listen to the positive news about this, only the doom and gloom stories.

I saw some ejit wearing gloves, then he touched his face around his eye with the gloves lol

I always knew there was a lot of stupid people around but this virus has really made it hit home. There are a lot of people around as well who wont listen to the positive news about this, only the doom and gloom stories.

Positive news ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Do you know if there's anything that can be done about a company who are putting employees and their families at risk during this crisis? They have the ability to get all their employees to work from home. They have decided only experienced staff will work from home while everyone else will have to work from the office. This is not a temporary measure but it's their stated position for the duration of the crisis.
    The company is in Dublin and the majority of staff have to get public transport into work. There are less people going on public transport but still the risk is bigger than staying at home. An employee lives in the same house as a relative who returned from working in Italy. The relative must self isolate but the employee of this company was told to attend work.
    Many of the staff live at home with their parents, the chances of passing this virus onto them has been increased hugely because of the stance this company has taken. There's no law against what they're doing but is there any way to persuade this company to do the right thing?

Ask them does their insurance cover an outbreak of Covid 19 in the office.

Positive news ?

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

3 days?
    Don't people go to niteclubs...at night?

Not a whole lot of positive news!

Fair point pgj2015 I hadn’t seen any of that

No because only some have been told to work from home! If the company shuts, then they'll all work from home.

So likely they actually cant as they dont have the capacity and have not planned for this

My company recently had to upgrade wfh capacity for an extra 5000 people - took six weeks and is working well

Cost a bomb however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So likely they actually cant as they dont have the capacity and have not planned for this

My company recently had to upgrade wfh capacity for an extra 5000 people - took six weeks and is working well

Cost a bomb however

What type of bomb though?

I imagine a pipe bomb would be relatively inexpensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

We have a great system in my place, you can log into your virtual desktop using Citrix.

Monday was the first day everyone had to log in from home, Munich logged in, fine, Dublin logged in, fine, but when new York logged in in the afternoon it started falling to pieces.

They seem to have patched it up since, there were no issues today, but I would say someone in the background threw a wedge of cash at it.

Companies are finding out that an occasional home office infrastructure isn't necessarily a disaster recovery facility.

That said, your situation still sucks.

Advertisement