Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

• 18-03-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Our coworker returned to work today - after beeing in UK nightclubs and for past 3 days.
    None of us are happy. Manager now put big sign on office door saying that UK is deemed safe to travel to and back and also if person doesn't feel unwell they are fine to work.
    My problem is yesterday was announced that now anyone travelling to UK or back has to quaranteene themselves. Also covid19 symptoms won't show untill few days. And she will have whole place infected by then sureley.
    Respectedly she returned to work today. After that took place.

Do we have right to request her leave and quaranteene herself?

It's getting quite heated in work, we do deal with public also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

mea_k wrote: »
    Our coworker returned to work today - after beeing in UK nightclubs and for past 3 days.
    None of us are happy. Manager now put big sign on office door saying that UK is deemed safe to travel to and back and also if person doesn't feel unwell they are fine to work.
    My problem is yesterday was announced that now anyone travelling to UK or back has to quaranteene themselves. Also covid19 symptoms won't show untill few days. And she will have whole place infected by then sureley.

If she spent three days in nightclubs she may have picked up more than coronavirus.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

No, your boss said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speak to HR, they're usually better at these things than After Hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

She sounds like an idiot already to be honest. After the multiple broadcast warnings about social distancing / self isolation.

These are the morons who are going to create a surge in infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

biko wrote: »
    Speak to HR, they're usually better at these things than After Hours..

I'm sure HR will be hearing from 30+ people.
    My mum, who looks after my son while I work has lung problem.
    Now I don't know what to do, I had to pick my son up today at her gate. I was so scared going in.
    I just thought ill ask what everyone else thinks before I blow my lid tomarrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Leo's speech just last night

"the latter stages of coronavirus is like coming down after three days on the yokes"

Nothing wrong with your co worker OP

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Quit your job, only answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Can you not work from home if its an office?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

You are absolutely right to be concerned. Well over 100 dead in uk so far and 32 died last night alone, all tested positive for virus. In just one night! It is rampant over there and Boris and Co are brushing it under the carpet, as they try to convince the public Britain is Great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is as much chance you have it, as your coworker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

After hours, the solution to all Life's problems

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm sure HR will be hearing from 30+ people.
    My mum, who looks after my son while I work has lung problem.
    Now I don't know what to do, I had to pick my son up today at her gate. I was so scared going in.
    I just thought ill ask what everyone else thinks before I blow my lid tomarrow

HR very rarely if ever go against a managers wishes and back a member of the line staff, the only scenario where they ‘might ‘ is when it’s likely their actions to do so could end them in court and the company suffers loss of reputation and therefore revenue.

If I was HR for a company when this problem began manifesting itself one of my priorities is to request that each manager provide me with their staff holiday calendar for the next 6 months.... I’d begin finding out which if any employee had foreign trips booked and to where or any group plans say a volleyball tournament , golf trip to Portugal etc... encourage cancelling, rebooking, even as a tool of goodwill a one off contribution covering some or all of change fees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

A lynching is what you need.but stone her first. actually stone her while you are lynching her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭golfball37

It’s a completely unacceptable situation imo. Boss should be sanctioned for that attitude. We’ve heard the guidelines she should be at home for 14 days, no exceptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

A lynching is what you need.but stone her first. actually stone her while you are lynching her.

Absolutely, and streaming live on social media.... with further giving out on boards after wards. I mean anything other than actually going and dealing with the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Luckily you've come to exactly the right place for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No. the manager has told this person to be in work. That is what they are doing.
    golfball37 wrote: »
    It’s a completely unacceptable situation imo. Boss should be sanctioned for that attitude. We’ve heard the guidelines she should be at home for 14 days, no exceptions

People showing symptoms show be at home. People expsoed. The co-worker is neither.

The rate of infection is higher in Ireland than the UK. So OP is more likely to catch it by being in work than co-worker was in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Uk is a big place.

The main area of infections is London.

But even at that it's a small number of people in the scheme of things (at the moment)

So odds are quite low that she has it.

Simple distancing in the office should alleviate the issue and should be done anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Your employer has a duty of care towards you. If this employee has admitted not adhering to social distancing guidelines and is a higthened infection risk then HR may have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Darc19 wrote: »

But even at that it's a small number of people in the scheme of things (at the moment)

So odds are quite low that she has it.

That's only because they're doing damn all testing. If you look at the no of active cases v deaths, the numbers aren't adding up at all. My money says the UK is riddled, they're just keeping the case no's low (for now) by not testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this is what happens folks...paranoia

i suppose if people so much as sneeze in the workplace they'd be looked upon with suspicion, people need to get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

The numbers in the UK per capita are actually better than ours so what is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pinkyeye wrote: »
    The numbers in the UK per capita are actually better than ours so what is the problem?
    But with how many tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Mellor wrote: »
    No. the manager has told this person to be in work. That is what they are doing.

People showing symptoms show be at home. People expsoed. The co-worker is neither.

The rate of infection is higher in Ireland than the UK. So OP is more likely to catch it by being in work than co-worker was in UK.
    pinkyeye wrote: »

The UK are tesing only when people turn up at the hospital. There is NO public testing going on as there is here. GPs or others are not testing there so are advising those with mild symptoms to self-isolate and only referring more serious cases to hospital.
    That alone should set alarm bells ringing. Their numbers are completely arseways.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There is as much chance you have it, as your coworker.

There is now anyway.

It’s mad reading all the flippant replies here though. Shows how much of a stinking attitude we’re all up against that and that we’ll never control this no matter what the government puts in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Do you know if there's anything that can be done about a company who are putting employees and their families at risk during this crisis? They have the ability to get all their employees to work from home. They have decided only experienced staff will work from home while everyone else will have to work from the office. This is not a temporary measure but it's their stated position for the duration of the crisis.
    The company is in Dublin and the majority of staff have to get public transport into work. There are less people going on public transport but still the risk is bigger than staying at home. An employee lives in the same house as a relative who returned from working in Italy. The relative must self isolate but the employee of this company was told to attend work.
    Many of the staff live at home with their parents, the chances of passing this virus onto them has been increased hugely because of the stance this company has taken. There's no law against what they're doing but is there any way to persuade this company to do the right thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Not all companies have the backend infrastructure in place to allow everyone work from home. A lot of big companies have invested very little in IT since the last crash. Best thing to do is practice social distancing on the way to and from work and also while in the office. Wash hands frequently and avoid touching your face. A large number of businesses are still running and will have to continue to do so

Not all companies have the backend infrastructure in place to allow everyone work from home. A lot of big companies have invested very little in IT since the last crash. Best thing to do is practice social distancing on the way to and from work and also while in the office. Wash hands frequently and avoid touching your face. A large number of businesses are still running and will have to continue to do so

But they have the infrastructure! Every employee is set up to work from home, they just won't allow everyone to do it. If someone in the office gets the virus, then they will all be sent home to work from there but only for 24 hours until the office is cleaned and opened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Have they the ability to have all staff work from home at once? There are companies that can accommodate work from home but its not always possible to have 100% of the work force at home at the same time.

Are they keeping social distance? Not using common spaces? If this is the case then the company are following current guidelines and recommendations.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Have they the ability to have all staff work from home at once? There are companies that can accommodate work from home but its not always possible to have 100% of the work force at home at the same time.

Are they keeping social distance? Not using common spaces? If this is the case then the company are following current guidelines and recommendations.

Well if the company is closed for the day then they'll all work from home! How many companies are still calling employees into the office when they can work from home?

Advertisement