Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should (airport) taxis withdraw their services on health grounds?

• 14-03-2020 9:15pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭

MOVED FROM THE NO-CHAT THREAD -- Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

monument wrote: »
    MOVED FROM THE NO-CHAT THREAD -- Mod

Thanks and apologies for my error

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They won't as they want the money.

It's going to be a very tough situation for all workers and businesses.

It's actually now more then ever that Irish people actually need to come together, go back to where we use to help each other and know our neighbours....

If Italy and Spain are having it so bad and with nothing done here in time, it's only going to get much much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Dubwat

Hobson's choice.

I'm open to correction but as I understand it;
    - If they withdraw voluntarily, they'll get no SW support & there'll be no money coming into their house.
    - If they work until they get sick (& possibly infect their passengers), they'll get approx €300 per week in SW Illness benefit.

Yes for the sake of others....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...It's actually now more then ever that Irish people actually need to come together....
    .....or stay apart preferrably!

• Advertisement

All taxi drivers got a txt from the NTA yesterday (Paddys Day ) and it read.

"Following a request from the Asst., Commissioner Pat Leahy,we would like to remind you about the importance of social distancing from fellow drivers.Today,Gardai driving around Dublin city centre witnessed groups of drivers huddled together. The Gardai requested that they keep their distance from each other to protect their health and that of their families,together with their passengers. Please practice social distancing and hand hygiene".

Its bizarre in the extreme. They are asking drivers to practice social distancing, but they seem to forget that drivers cannot do this when their passengers are effectively sitting right beside them or right behind them.

The txt from the NTA just seems laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    All taxi drivers got a txt from the NTA yesterday (Paddys Day ) and it read.

"Following a request from the Asst., Commissioner Pat Leahy,we would like to remind you about the importance of social distancing from fellow drivers.Today,Gardai driving around Dublin city centre witnessed groups of drivers huddled together. The Gardai requested that they keep their distance from each other to protect their health and that of their families,together with their passengers. Please practice social distancing and hand hygiene".

Its bizarre in the extreme. They are asking drivers to practice social distancing, but they seem to forget that drivers cannot do this when their passengers are effectively sitting right beside them or right behind them.

The txt from the NTA just seems laughable

Huddling around fellow drivers is avoidable.

Huddling around fellow drivers is avoidable.

Well yes it is , but the point of the matter is that it is a nonsense for the NTA to mention this ,when at the same time drivers have people in their cars with God knows what .
    Surely THAT should be more concerning

.....or stay apart preferrably!

Very true I'll pick my words better next time but in all honesty we are coming into a different world where people will be stuck like never before.

Well yes it is , but the point of the matter is that it is a nonsense for the NTA to mention this ,when at the same time drivers have people in their cars with God knows what .

Sure all I've seen is hardly any changes when it comes to those waiting for buses or travelling on them.... No space given getting on or off or waiting at the stops and then all these strangers sitting on top of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't understand your logic. I work in a front line health service which is unavoidable yet I can avoid mixing with others health care workers outside work. It's no different with taxi drivers - they do not need to mix with other taxi drivers increasing the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I don't understand your logic. I work in a front line health service which is unavoidable yet I can avoid mixing with others health care workers outside work. It's no different with taxi drivers - they do not need to mix with other taxi drivers increasing the risk.

Or another way to look at it, say a taxi driver is infected by a passenger. They may in turn infect all the rest of their passengers for the rest of the day (and even days to come). That's bad enough. However, if they manage to pass it on to a handful of other drivers through one or more of the gatherings mentioned, then each of them can pass it on to the same number, and it heads for an exponential spread by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

taxi drivers can mitigate the risks.

Personal protective equiptment like masks ,gloves,

open windows when possible
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/politics/coronavirus-guidelines.html

Good hygine practises like sanitising hands and disinfecting the cab surfaces. tap and pay - dont handle money if possible.

Social distancing from other drivers etc.

My point is,that they are criticizing drivers huddles together (which is understandable) yet they are missing the fact that drivers are then sitting in a small confined space with passengers, which could be a breeding ground for infection. Surely that is a bad if not worse than the drivers talking to each other outside?
    The whole social distancing thing cannot be adhered to inside a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

My point is,that they are criticizing drivers huddles together (which is understandable) yet they are missing the fact that drivers are then sitting in a small confined space with passengers, which could be a breeding ground for infection. Surely that is a bad if not worse than the drivers talking to each other outside?

An inability to eliminate exposure via one necessary vector (passengers in the taxi, it's their livelihood after all) is not a reason to disregard the potential to minimise exposure by other unnecessary vectors (i.e. huddling closely together with other drivers).

To be honest, your post just reinforces the point that I was making whereby given the risks present of any given passenger carrying it, exponentially increasing "indirect" (for want of a better term) contact with a plethora of other passengers via the other drivers is foolish and reckless (both towards themselves and their future passengers) in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

The guards did not see taxi drivers in close promixity inside a taxi though, did they?

You're saying that because there's some risk, there's no point in avoiding any risk.

Advertisement