Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Sanitiser

• 18-03-2020 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Morning,

Any one know where hand sanitiser is available at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Morning,

Any one know where hand sanitiser is available at the moment?

Online from the Irish handmade soap company ( not sure if that's the exact name but it's something like that )

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

will try them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if i add vodka to a regular soap dispenser will it work as a sanitizer?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fryup wrote: »
    if i add vodka to a regular soap dispenser will it work as a sanitizer?

No, it won't be anywhere near high enough % of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Coronavirus lives in lipid molecule. Anything which breaks lipds/fats down will do, hence soap is said to be the best. You only need alcohol based hand sanitiser where tap water isn't available. Don't use it at home, it will only damage your skin over extensive use and Soap is better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In Singapore, the government is providing a 500 ml bottle of hand sanitiser to every home in the country. NY state is manufacturing their own. Some Gin distillery in Ireland is turning over production locally to make hand sanitiser. Shame there wasn't some government led approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Irish Distillers in Midleton should have HUGE capacity to produce alcohol, as do some of the dairy sector and certain food plants and I'm sure some company in Ireland is capable of blending hand sanitisers. We've a few cosmetics companies and also some consumer products companies around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I just ordered 4 of them. Will let you know how long the process takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Never mind all this hype about hand sanitiser. Just wash your hands with plain old soap and warm water. It is actually better as the dirt is washed off. Hand sanitiser kills germs but all the grime and residue will still be on your manky greasy hands.

If you are just knocking around your own house all day then there is no need to wash any more than as is normally recommended as you are not introducing pathogens from outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

People still have to go to work. Obviously can't wash with soap and water after getting on the bus or Luas like. I'm running low on it now and we've back ordered it in work but that could be weeks/months to be delivered.

I've seen companies online selling the little 50ml bottles Aldi used to sell for a euro or so in batches of 5 for 20 quid, which is pretty scummy.

Get on the luas but don't touch your face or phone or anything until you get into work and can wash your hands.

I also worry that like PPE, people will have a false sense of security with the hand sanitiser. "ooh, sure I have sanitiser, i am grand" and then be complacent with other things because of that attitude.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just pure conjecture here but I was thinking(oh Christ...). Soap breaks down the viral lipids as Vol noted above, so what about keeping one of those soap gel dispensers about your person or in the office or wherever and apply a small dab to your hands, rub it around as you would with the hand sanitiser and let it dry without water. Would that not reduce the viral load on the hands in a pinch?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If you around the office or whatever, would you not just wash your hands in the normal fashion in the sink with soap and water rather than trying to come up with all these obscure means to clean your hands.

It seems to me like people seem to be trying to find alternatives to the basic hot water and soap just for the sake of it.

Wash yer bloody hands with water and soap and stop all this nonsense with concoctions of vodka and gel soap and all the other nonsese.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

BailMeOut wrote: »

Thanks, I've just ordered a couple for myself and elderly parents; handy for when out in the supermarket.

they should not be in a supermarket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wash yer bloody hands with water and soap and stop all this nonsense with concoctions of vodka and gel soap and all the other nonsese.
    Well duh obviously if you have access to a sink and soap. If you don't is the thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

why not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you amputate your hands you won't need sanitiser...just sayin' ;)

why not??

Social distancing. Being around large number so people is the single worst thing you can do. And supermarkets seem to be jam packed lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

Yes they should. They need to get groceries. There is no delivery service in their area. They observe social distancing and good hand hygiene at home, but they still prefer the back up option of having a sanitiser in the car for essential trips.

I would much prefer they stayed indoors, but there are no options for them regarding grocery shopping.

Social distancing. Being around large number so people is the single worst thing you can do.
    +1 Especially for the elderly. If they have kids or neighbours that's who should be doing their shopping for them.

thing is, as I said, when you are at home all the time there isn't much gain to be had by all this obsessive hand sanitising, as you are at home in a fairly closed system.

Hand saniting is beneficial when you are out and about in uncontrolled environments.

Another option that is possible is to put dettol solution in a spray bottle or even just soak a cloth with it. When you go out you can spray your hands or wipe yourself with the dettol rag.

There are any number of ways to do it. Fancy scented hand sanitiser gels are not the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Get on the luas but don't touch your face or phone or anything until you get into work and can wash your hands.

I also worry that like PPE, people will have a false sense of security with the hand sanitiser. "ooh, sure I have sanitiser, i am grand" and then be complacent with other things because of that attitude.

nightmare scenario, no doubt the itchiest nose attack ever will hit you there and then. dun dun diiiiiin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just pure conjecture here but I was thinking(oh Christ...). Soap breaks down the viral lipids as Vol noted above, so what about keeping one of those soap gel dispensers about your person or in the office or wherever and apply a small dab to your hands, rub it around as you would with the hand sanitiser and let it dry without water. Would that not reduce the viral load on the hands in a pinch?

You still need a water to wash it down.

Some people overthink it, but yes at work you will need it. We have keyboard disinfectant, hand sanitizer, but - lucky - also a washbasin with soap and paper towels in the office.

I am more worried about other people hygiene than mine though.

Dont think there is any need to have it at home if you have no visitors. Won't do harm to use it before leaving or upon return, but if you keep hygiene level high at home and don't leave it, good old soap will suffice.

I tend to keep mine for "special occasions" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well duh obviously if you have access to a sink and soap. If you don't is the thing.

I know of people wearing the same pair gloves and mittens for the entire day, walking around supermarkets touching their faces, phones, and products they're not buying, thinking that's a grand alternative to washing your hands. I've seen recipes online for hand sanitiser made out of oil and spices which has no antiviral properties. Because these people exist unfortunately we need to bore the rest of us by repeating the wash hands argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Does anyome know if you need a licence to sell Isopropyl alcohol? I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I just ordered 4 of them. Will let you know how long the process takes.

Arrived today at doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Following on from what Wibbs was saying, would it not be easy to make a home made hand sanitizer made out of simple soap and water you could make at home, carry on your person, and wipe it off with tissues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I have been using water and a small drop of bleach, don't know how effective it is compared to the real thing but its better than nothing surely

Advertisement