Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Question about Baby Elegance car seat:

Our little one is 8 weeks old now and he looks very uncomfortable in the car seat, like his head is too low and squished down. I was thinking of removing the padded bits around his head and neck, thinking this might help the problem, but I wonder at what age/ weight the baby should be before these parts are removed? I've looked through the manual that came with it and it doesn't mention this anywhere. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Is there a cushion built in to the insert, I have a different brand of seat and there is a removable piece of foam in the back of the insert which can be taken out at 11lbs and then you can leave the head and neck support in. Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Question about Baby Elegance car seat:

Our little one is 8 weeks old now and he looks very uncomfortable in the car seat, like his head is too low and squished down. I was thinking of removing the padded bits around his head and neck, thinking this might help the problem, but I wonder at what age/ weight the baby should be before these parts are removed? I've looked through the manual that came with it and it doesn't mention this anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Not sure on the Baby Elegance seat but in the Maxi cosy there’s a piece of foam that’s under the baby’s bum that can be removed and sometimes helps them sit better around that age. Worth checking if you can do that, it’s hard to find in the maxi cosy but is there. It’d be very early to remove the head supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

How long do you have to have the kids rear facing in the seat? We have an eight month old and are upgrading her car seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

My 5 year old is still rear facing in an Extended Rear Facing Seat that goes up to 25kg. It is recommended to keep them rear facing up to at least 4 years. If your child is in an infant carrier seat at the moment it is recommended to keep them in it until they out grow it by weight or height.

• Advertisement

Clashmore wrote: »
    My 5 year old is still rear facing in an Extended Rear Facing Seat that goes up to 25kg. It is recommended to keep them rear facing up to at least 4 years. If your child is in an infant carrier seat at the moment it is recommended to keep them in it until they out grow it by weight or height.

Cheers, we had her at the nurse yesterday for her check up. She needs to upgrade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Clashmore wrote: »

My 2 year old will be RF until he grows out of his 25kg seat as well. Probably will be 5 or 6. Rearfacing is 5 times safer than forward facing so it’s a no brainer for me https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Child-Safety-in-Cars/Types-of-child-car-seats/Extended-rearward-facing-child-seat/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Legally it used be 9 kg, I think it’s now 15kg, or is that UK law? Ireland is always a bit behind.
    Legal requirements are a minimum though, I’d rear face her for as long as you can. It’s 500% safer. If she’s high in centiles, buy a 25kg seat (I would say this even if you do plan to forward face her, She would be likely to outgrow a harness on an 18kg seat well before she is capable of sitting with just a seatbelt).
    I have my 2 and a half year old still rear facing and will be for the foreseeable. Had to turn my now 4 y.o before he was 4 though, because he Was escaping and it was too dangerous.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Legally it used be 9 kg, I think it’s now 15kg, or is that UK law? Ireland is always a bit behind.
    Legal requirements are a minimum though, I’d rear face her for as long as you can. It’s 500% safer. If she’s high in centiles, buy a 25kg seat (I would say this even if you do plan to forward face her, She would be likely to outgrow a harness on an 18kg seat well before she is capable of sitting with just a seatbelt).
    I have my 2 and a half year old still rear facing and will be for the foreseeable. Had to turn my now 4 y.o before he was 4 though, because he Was escaping and it was too dangerous.

She's up in the 98 percentile for her age and weight. She's taller than all the babies her age in her swimming class.

We have this base already:

https://eurobaby.com/maxi-cosi-3wayfix-isofix-base/

Are we limited to maxi cosi for seats? Can we buy other brands, or are all the bases proprietary?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

She's up in the 98 percentile for her age and weight. She's taller than all the babies her age in her swimming class.

Are we limited to maxi cosi for seats? Can we buy other brands, or are all the bases proprietary?

You can only use that base with maxi cosi seats and even then it may only be certain seats (I’m not 100% sure on that).

This Facebook page is brilliant for advice on rear facing seats

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/?ref=share

• Advertisement

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    You can only use that base with maxi cosi seats and even then it may only be certain seats (I’m not 100% sure on that).

This Facebook page is brilliant for advice on rear facing seats

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/?ref=share

That's the way it kinda looks. I'm heading into Mothercare tomorrow to quiz them on it.

It only works with certain Maxi cosi seats and Maxi cosi doesn’t do extended rear facing seats if I remember correctly. There is only one ERF seat which is isofix and it has a 23kg limit I think so won’t last as long.

You’ll end up having to buy a 25kg seat if she is so high in the percentiles so it could be a false economy to try and find something to match this base.

Tony Kealys give great car seat advice and the RSA check it fits team train them for car seat installation if there is one near you. Mothercare could be hit or miss so I would encourage anyone to do their own research on whatever they tell you. That Facebook group mentioned about is brilliant.

Where ever you go, be very clear that you need a 25kg seat. Otherwise you’ll be buying another

jlm29 wrote: »
    Where ever you go, be very clear that you need a 25kg seat. Otherwise you’ll be buying another

Roger that. Thanks everyone for the good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Cheers, we had her at the nurse yesterday for her check up. She needs to upgrade. :D

Nurse might not be the best person for advice. Just saying...

Mumnme and Tony Kealys are the best shops for car seat advice. my lads are on the lower centiles but are still happy out rear facing at the age of 3. They are in 18 kg seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

How long do you have to have the kids rear facing in the seat? We have an eight month old and are upgrading her car seat.

Legally it’s 15 months, which doesn’t make much sense as there’s a broad spectrum of weights and heights etc
    We have our youngest in the joie ispin 360 and there’s actually a button on the back of it that locks it rear facing until 15mths +.

It’s an 18KG seat but my girls are relatively low on centiles. Almost 4 yr old is still rear facing and just 13.5KG so they get a good few years out of the 18KG seats.

98th centiles I absolutely wouldn’t consider anything other than the 25KG seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Agh need to make a decision in the next half hour! Lol
    Maxicosi Peeble plus (Rachel Zoe), the stokke izi sleep, or that newish lie flat cubes seat. Please boardies... pick one for me please which is best for new baby. I’ve only ever had the maxi cosi cabriofix. They all do the samish ie... have isofix, fit on stroller and rearward. But I wonder are the ones that can lie flat better than the Peeble?? Thank you xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Agh need to make a decision in the next half hour! Lol
    Maxicosi Peeble plus (Rachel Zoe), the stokke izi sleep, or that newish lie flat cubes seat. Please boardies... pick one for me please which is best for new baby. I’ve only ever had the maxi cosi cabriofix. They all do the samish ie... have isofix, fit on stroller and rearward. But I wonder are the ones that can lie flat better than the Peeble?? Thank you xxx

Can you try and lift them? I found the Isi sleep too heavy.
    I don’t have a clue which lie flat ones are best...maybe get the one that weighs the least?

Millem wrote: »
    Can you try and lift them? I found the Isi sleep too heavy.
    I don’t have a clue which lie flat ones are best...maybe get the one that weighs the least?

Thanks Millem, I just choose the pebble plus. 🀞🀞 it’s ok but I’m assuming it’s similar to cabriofix. It does weight 4.3kg which I think maybe heavy. Think cabriofix prob lighter!

Thanks Millem, I just choose the pebble plus. 🀞🀞 it’s ok but I’m assuming it’s similar to cabriofix. It does weight 4.3kg which I think maybe heavy. Think cabriofix prob lighter!

Bear in mind that the pebble plus is an I-size seat so is grown out of when baby hits 75cm. As a result, if you have a tall baby you won’t get as long out of it as the cabriofix.

• Advertisement

Yea cabriofix about 1 kg lighter. Bummer. But I’m sure will be ok.

bee06 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the pebble plus is an I-size seat so is grown out of when baby hits 75cm. As a result, if you have a tall baby you won’t get as long out of it as the cabriofix.

Really! O crap

Ok yea you’re right. And I have tall babies. What’s the point in I-size then?? Why would they make cabriofix cheaper but last longer? Pebble plus more expensive, heavier and last shorter amount of time. Ah well I got good price so can’t complain. Apparently a lot of people do find it heavy tho.

Ok yea you’re right. And I have tall babies. What’s the point in I-size then?? Why would they make cabriofix cheaper but last longer? Pebble plus more expensive, heavier and last shorter amount of time. Ah well I got good price so can’t complain. Apparently a lot of people do find it heavy tho.

I think I-size overall is a safer regulation and will last until a heavier weight but not so beneficial for tall babies unfortunately.

Not at all that is perfect! The izi sleep was nearly 8kg!!!! I am sure they are all great seats :)
    Imagine even a 4kg newborn baby and the seat....that is a big bag of dog food!!!!

I hope to god I can find all the bits off my cabriofix otherwise I will be buying another seat come the summer!

I think I-size overall is a safer regulation and will last until a heavier weight but not so beneficial for tall babies unfortunately.

Ok thanks well that’s good to know I got a safe one at least 😊😊

Not at all that is perfect! The izi sleep was nearly 8kg!!!! I am sure they are all great seats :)
    Imagine even a 4kg newborn baby and the seat....that is a big bag of dog food!!!!

I hope to god I can find all the bits off my cabriofix otherwise I will be buying another seat come the summer!

I had the same cabriofix for my first 3! Until I discovered it was dented on my third baby. She was big enough for next size then tho So I chucked it. Didn’t think I’d be needing another!!!! Well at least not so soon.... was thinking maybe in another year or 2....

The cabriofix was great quality tho and lasted ages.

Sorry can I just ask which isofix base fits the pebble plus?? Is it only the 2way fix?

Sorry can I just ask which isofix base fits the pebble plus?? Is it only the 2way fix?

According to the Bella baby website there are 2 bases; the babyfix base or the 3 way fix base.

I have no experience of it though!
    The babyfix just does the baby seats but the 3 way does the next seat up...is it a pearl or something?

• Advertisement

Bella baby sells all the bits separately, so if you have most of it, you can get them there. It’s only if you’re missing multiple bits that it can make more financial sense to buy new. My cabriofix is nearly ready for retirement, so if you need a head hugger or wedge let me know, I’ll be taking them out soon, and won’t need again!

Advertisement