Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ori and the Will of the Wisp

Options
  • 10-03-2020 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey lads,

Might be mistaken but I haven't been able to find a tread for this. Have it pre-ordered on Steam for a few days and just waiting for it to unlock now. Really enjoyed Blind Forest and I hope they are able to make this on as good. Heard good things from reviewers so far at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'll be playing it sometime tonight. Went for the collectors edition :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

been dying for this game and of course it comes out on my wifes b day :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

recyclops wrote: »
    been dying for this game and of course it comes out on my wifes b day :(

"Ah sorry love, happy birthday and all but there's a lad at work just back from skiing in Italy. See you in two weeks."

Sully48 wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Might be mistaken but I haven't been able to find a tread for this. Have it pre-ordered on Steam for a few days and just waiting for it to unlock now. Really enjoyed Blind Forest and I hope they are able to make this on as good. Heard good things from reviewers so far at least.

seems like you have been lying in wait for this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Jesus this is absolutely gorgeous. A few hours in and I'm loving it. Shades of Hollow Knight which is a bonus.

• Advertisement

On Game Pass for PC for anyone who wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Think I may have just found an exploit. If you spam the aerial up attack you keep gaining height, could be used to sequence break a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I've been playing this the last couple of days. It says I've completed 30% or so, but I'm frustrated with it.
    Can you do the
    wisps
    in any order? I tried the
    dark forest
    part and got stuck because I couldn't figure out how to
    get the light to follow for 2 of the door shards
    So I went for another
    wisp, the desert one
    , and again it seems really difficult to me.
    Make a missile follow you to blow up a wall and enemies everywhere straight after.
    die and repeat lol.

I don't remember the first Ori being this difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love the movement in the game so far (very early in) but don’t really like the level design & combat at all. Something about the opening areas (in terms of actual gameplay - the opening cutscenes are gorgeous) both visually and in terms of layout that I just can’t really get on with. Combat lacks the punch and intensity of Hollow Knight But then you’re waltzing up walls and pulling of wild jumps from a very early stage and it’s hugely satisfying.

Hope the wider design picks up because it’s wonderful to simply move Ori around the place... it’s the place that’s more of a problem :pac:

eyerer wrote: »
    I've been playing this the last couple of days. It says I've completed 30% or so, but I'm frustrated with it.
    Can you do the
    wisps
    in any order? I tried the
    dark forest
    part and got stuck because I couldn't figure out how to
    get the light to follow for 2 of the door shards
    So I went for another
    wisp, the desert one
    , and again it seems really difficult to me.
    Make a missile follow you to blow up a wall and enemies everywhere straight after.
    die and repeat lol.

I don't remember the first Ori being this difficult.

Got the first one pretty easy but stuck on the second and third. I've a feeling I'm missing an ability or two. Quite frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I got stuck there because I thought you needed 4 keys to open the door, you actually only needed 2 :P

I looked at a guide about which order to play the quests in though, which helped.

Just finished it tonight. Loved every minute, a tough but fair challenge on normal difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

mine game is bugged there appear to be a spirit light above the library just above the warp in the wellspring, its the only place that says 99% and is really annoying me

sweetie wrote: »
    Just finished it tonight. Loved every minute, a tough but fair challenge on normal difficulty.

Fair play. I gave up on the big wolf about 5 mins in. I just dont have the patience to go through all the pain and frustration I had with the first game all over again.

Fair play. I gave up on the big wolf about 5 mins in. I just dont have the patience to go through all the pain and frustration I had with the first game all over again.

I won't lie, a couple times I checked could I dial back the difficulty but not allowed so I persevered on. The wolf is grand actually, it's not a proper boss fight. The plaforming is challenging later on but not unlike Celeste with generous enough checkpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Just past the first escape sequence.

This game is wonderful.

Played the first on Switch and loved it.

It's even more beautifully refined and polished now and looks incredible on the Xbox one; plus playing for "free" at the moment on game pass. Also the combat is much better now and it's great to have bosses with real weight in there too..

Fantastic stuff.

Finished the main game. Absolutely brilliant. Easily one of my favourite games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I really must get back to this one, I got a bit frustrated after getting stuck in one are and took a break from it. It is a beautiful game though, nice and chill too ... until it gets frustrating :D

I'd played the first one, so I knew exactly how things work and had a lot of training. :)
    The escape sequences are much longer and harder in the first game ... so I breezed these mostly in the 2nd game.

Some tips:
    - Practice your dash and your bash. Especially projecting missiles back at enemies or routing them at blocked doors.
    - With bash, you get a few seconds of bullet time where everything stops, use this to relax and plan.
    - Get the triple jump as soon as possible. This plus bash and dash and gliding and you can stay out of trouble and cover loads of ground.
    - The ability for breathing under water, get it as soon as you can.
    - There is a a spike ability that's very useful for shooting things from a distance with a lot of damage. Great for bosses.
    - Hoover up as much life bars and energy bars as you can before hitting the bosses.
    - There is a power up that'll convert energy to life. Use this frequently. Keep it handy.
    - If you stay airborne in the boss fights you can generally stay safe. Keep moving.
    - Clinging to walls ability - don't leave home without it.
    - There is plenty of spirit lights orbs so don't be afraid to spend.
    - Some of the weapons are ... not much use. Not sure what the spinning star does. Did nothing for me. :)
    - Do the combat shrines, you'll get extra slots to hold more abiilities.
    - Escape sequences are short, so don't give up, remember to use bash to pause the game. And just ignore the scary monster chasing you.
    - Still stuck in the escape sequence or boss battle, turn off the sound, and focus grasshopper ! :):)

Just got to the part where you find your owl buddy again. My emotions when he jumps on the big creature trying to fight him off for you.

• Advertisement

This game is sorely missing a mini map. I'm constantly opening and closing the map as I'm going.

Really enjoyed that. The movement is fantastic. Looks gorgeous. The simple plot moved me. It never outstayed it's welcome. Excellent pacing throughout. At no point did it feel like a slog.

I would have preferred some more difficult platforming sections. They give you all these abilities but never ask you to chain them all like Celeste would. I was kinda shocked that they decided to up the difficulty so much in last area (where you have to kill 10 tumors) but I was definitely happy about a real challenge. Some parts seemed literally impossible... and that was because I didn't realise I acquired the last ability to dash any direction in mid air. Go back and try that area without that ability :pac: I suppose this game is more about exploration rather than hardcore platforming so its not strictly going for a challenge. The fact that you can do a lot of the game in any order means it would be difficult to design a consistent challenge without making some areas too easy when you do them last. I did play it on normal but I presume that only affects the combat and maybe the pace of the chase scenes.

Great sequel. I thought I had my fill of these type of games but apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Another fascinating deep dive into Ori from Digital Foundry ... remote working, productivity, game/graphics engineering, next-gen gaming and next next-gen gaming ...

You 'aint seen nothing yet!

Advertisement