Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to record gaming for YouTube?

• 16-03-2020 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Sorry for the silly question.
    My son wants to be able to record himself playing games on nintendo switch and PS4 and then upload to YouTube.

It's his birthday next week so anyone tell me what I need to order.
    Preferably from Amazon or Smyths (if they open)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If he just wants to grab video off them then they can both do it by default, they've both got a button on the controller for it. While the PS4 can do a decent length of video the Switch can only do a minute or so. You can do a decent bit of video editing on YouTube itself. Just upload everything as private and them edit it there.

Next step up would be a dedicated capture cards, a decent microphone, and a to use computer to edit on which you can use any of the free video editing software. If he doesn't have access to a computer to edit, then again you can upload everything to YouTube and edit on that.

Don't know his age but he might just want something that looks the part the same as what he sees on youtube or twitch, so a microphone with a pop filter by itself could do for the PS4. For the switch you'd need a capture card to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Varik wrote: »
    If he just wants to grab video off them then they can both do it by default, they've both got a button on the controller for it. While the PS4 can do a decent length of video the Switch can only do a minute or so. You can do a decent bit of video editing on YouTube itself. Just upload everything as private and them edit it there.

Next step up would be a dedicated capture cards, a decent microphone, and a to use computer to edit on which you can use any of the free video editing software. If he doesn't have access to a computer to edit, then again you can upload everything to YouTube and edit on that.

Don't know his age but he might just want something that looks the part the same as what he sees on youtube or twitch, so a microphone with a pop filter by itself could do for the PS4. For the switch you'd need a capture card to do anything.
    Thanks for the reply.
    He wants to record his gaming on both the Ps4 and the switch.
    Would a capture card work on both? And I'd need a microphone with the capture card?
    He's 11years old.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You don't need a microphone for it to work, it was more if he wants a microphone.

A capture card would work on both. The come both as actual pcie cards for use inside a PC and external, and many require a PC to use but some of the external ones don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Shame your son doesn't have an Xbox One. With a large USB drive you can record up to an hour at a go with no problem.

But i've been looking into this myself lately and a person can have a pretty professional set up on a limited budget these days. Thing is to find the right equipment. I'll try to dig links later but ...

- you can buy cheap hdmi recording boxes for 50 euro from Amazon / China. You hook up any hdmi source and another html cable from box to TV so it "passes through" and records. Quality is amazing.
    - you can get quality usb mics these days. Roughly around 40 euro. Most are bad but one in particular is good. Again will try and get a link after this.

How old is he? If he is a teenager get him a copy of Adobe premiere and after effects. Loads of tutorials on YouTube. It will up his videos and give him a skill that could lead into a job in years to come if he gets into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

You could just live stream if you have the playstation camera , it uploads automatically to youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 johnmorganhere

Hi there. Interesting question. Do you want only to record gaming or streaming it as well? I think nowadays it is not so hard. You just need to have a headset, camera and to instull a program to recording or streaming. You can easily find which one you need on google.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Advertisement