Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a consultant in the HSE [Questions thread]

• 16-03-2020 9:40pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

As above, our AMA guest here is a consultant in the HSE. I have verified his identity and that he is a consultant in HSE.

Hopefully his answers to questions will be a valuable resource for everyone and for that reason we are opening this thread for questions and a separate answers thread to keep all of the informative content in his answers together.

Please stick to this format for Qs & As as posts from anyone other than the OP in the answers thread will be removed.

ANSWERS can be found here.

Thanks all :)

Please note, as always do not ask for medical advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

What medicine should be taken if symptoms start to develop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi,

Do you find yourself turning away lots of patients who don't have any real symptoms of the virus and are just taking up waiting rooms out of worry?

Are all your staff/colleagues full of panic/worry ? Is this the busiest you have ever been?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is it possible to protect yourself from the covid19 and treat patients, how are health workers still getting sick?, are all staff not wearing some level protection now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Are there still the usual cough, colds, flu going around that could also be affecting people. If my toddler has a runny nose and slight cough, it's not immediately Covid19 but still the usual suspects?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have so many questions, where to start :o as an asthma sufferer ( and nothing on line ) how do you differentiate between an asthma attack or Covid19?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

1st off, thanks a million to you, your team and all your front line colleagues for the work that you do and for the overwork you all are about to face.

Do you think that our effort to shift the curve and flatten growth will be successful?
    Or that we took our measures a week or 2 too late for maximum efficacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

How long do you think the lockdowns will be required to last?

Why is it presumed that warm weather will reduce the number of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

What is your speciality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and for your continued work especially in current circumstances.

Have ye received any further guidance regarding coronavirus and pregnancy? Specifically the case in the UK where the newborn tested positive for the virus, has that changed anything regarding the treatment/guidance for dealing with pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

No question yet, but just to say a sincere Thank You to all HSE staff, frontline and support for the huge effort that has gone into the preparations for the spread of this virus, and for the ongoing effort that will be required to deal with it over the coming months. The speed of the spread of the virus has been alarming, but the response of the HSE and Dept of Health has been even faster and and very reassuring.

Many Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Whenever my mate is asked what he does for a living he says "Doctor". He's an Ed. D (Dr. of Education) and does indeed work in this field (Adult education). Does it get your goat when you hear people claiming to be a doctor when their field is non med/psych?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Serious question. What would be your honest opinion of the current trolley watch numbers ? Why have they collapsed ? People didn't suddenly not require A&E or are the vast majority of A&E overblown ?

Figures before Covid-19 over 300. Last year same time 180. This week reported as zero.

And thank you for putting yourselves in the way of harm to deal with this. It cannot be easy for your families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

First off, sincere thanks and respect to you and all your colleagues for working at the coal face in these unprecedented times.
    My brother is to be tested for covid19 shortly, I wouldn’t expect him to be in the severe risk category. I’ve read of non acute cases that develop ‘mild’ pneumonia. Can this category of patient recover at home without intervention?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

A friend is having a small dinner party (4 in total) at her home tomorrow night. Is this contrary to current HSE advice?

BTW I don't understand where the answers are. I will try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

Much respect and gratitude to all the doctors, nurses, ambulance personnel, in-hospital cleaners, admin staff, radiographers, porters, med lab scientists, etc etc.
    All putting yourselves in the firing line, mentally and physically.
    The vast majority of the public understands this....but you are more likely to hear from the terrified few who will shout at you.
    Have you heard from your colleagues in Italy? and did the HSE start to ramp up capacity in line with the warnings that were coming from there last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Not sure what is going on here. I have been several times now on the "answers thread" and there is nothing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is vitamin D really any good as a prevention of the virus, niacin in particular.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's talk that, if it becomes like Italy, doctors will have to make "tough decisions" as to who gets treated as well as the general stress. Are HSE staff being given any assistance with the psychological pressure they'll be under? Is there any form planned for stress relief or how exhaustion might take effect? Mental well being will be important for the staff when they have to perform critical tasks over long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

The Uk are asking over 70’s to self isolate, would you recommend the same thing to that age group here?

I’ve heard diabetes, hypertension, copd are all extra risk factors, should these people take more care with social distancing?

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What’s the difference between a bad dose of the flu and Covid-19?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

coastwatch wrote: »
    No question yet, but just to say a sincere Thank You to all HSE staff, frontline and support for the huge effort that has gone into the preparations for the spread of this virus, and for the ongoing effort that will be required to deal with it over the coming months. The speed of the spread of the virus has been alarming, but the response of the HSE and Dept of Health has been even faster and and very reassuring.

Many Thanks

This x 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will answers be here?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sure what is going on here. I have been several times now on the "answers thread" and there is nothing there.

Not sure what you are expecting, but we all have lives to live, and in this particular case a very important job to do. The AMA subject will get to these questions at some stage, but I cannot say when. This thread was only activated less than 2 hours ago

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Will answers be here?

No - in another thread, which is linked in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If someone gets the virus, get sick and get well again, at what point can they be confident that they have stopped shedding the virus?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason a large chunk of my post didn't post. I accidentally deleted it.

To re-word it, how are you managing to get time to do a Q+A on here? Has your actual working day/week changed with the virus? Or are ye folks still working the same hours, albeit arguably with more to do during those hours? Or has the trolley crisis suddenly getting solved actually meant that your working day is easier than it was before the virus became so known?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

All my Chinese students families have been wearing masks at home at all times. They take the masks off for bed. The children ( my students) do not wear masks. They have emphatically told me over and over again to wear a mask, at all times. That this is the success against the virus. I have been seeing my parents with masks on now for five weeks. At home.
    I am wondering why the advice here is not to wear masks. is it that it is a false sense of security?
    My chinese families do not understand why everyone here in the west is not being told to wear a mask.
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

1. Do a proportion of people who recover have permanent lung damage?

2. Is the Irish strategy to get 60% of people infected and recovered, but at a steady rate so a not to overwhelm the HSE, or is there some other strategy?

3. Roughly, how long does each phase of the illness last?

4. What is the current ICU capacity, and is this being massively ramped up?

Thank you for taking the time to do this AMA, and also for all of your efforts in tackling this horror.

Beasty wrote: »
    No - in another thread, which is linked in the OP

Whats the reason for that out of curiousity? Are all AMAs following that approach from here on? (just seems a tad strange? I presume it's to make the answers easier for people to read?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Is this rumour true, that anti-inflammatories like aspirin and Nurofen make you more prone to the virus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement