Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Magnetic Scope Base and Rings.

• 15-03-2020 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever come across a magnetic scope base and rings for a quick change of scope when needed.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Does such a thing exist?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Thought they would but can't see any for sale. I would have thought with the strong magnets that you can get today that it would be a great system.

You would want some sort of rare Earth magnet or something like an electromagnet to be able to hold a scope perfectly in place without fear of moving even fraction of a millimetre when the rifle is fired. Such a magnet would either be large, heavy or ineffective or some combination of all three.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I would have thought of some sort of system where the rings would be inserted in to a socket of some sort. With a magnet on the bottom. All you would want is to hold the rings from coming out.

Well other than the issues with design, weight, effectiveness the other thing i'd imagine is "if its not broke, why fix it"?

I mean the current system works and while designs can be tweaked, the basic concept of them has not changed in decades.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Well other than the issues with design, weight, effectiveness the other thing i'd imagine is "if its not broke, why fix it"?

I mean the current system works and while designs can be tweaked, the basic concept of them has not changed in decades.

Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Minktrapper,

If such a system existed and it was capable of holding your scope solid enough for accuracy, how would you "detach" it ?
    Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

No, get a swing mount if you want a quick detachable scope. they are expensive and require a gunsmith to fit them but they are very accurate.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Minktrapper,

If such a system existed and it was capable of holding your scope solid enough for accuracy, how would you "detach" it ?
    Genuine question

Did you ever try magnet fishing. Very strong magnets but you can pull metal objects off them with some effort. If there is magnetic attachable bipods maybe the same could apply to scopes.

juice1304 wrote: »
    No, get a swing mount if you want a quick detachable scope. they are expensive and require a gunsmith to fit them but they are very accurate.

Can you fit them on to a 11 mm dovetail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Magnets aren't brilliant for holding things, even magnetic things designed to hold things. I have a large (18"x6") magnet chuck on the Surface grinder, and even then the odd time something scoots off it under load. The problem is when magnets get a bump, they move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Can you fit them on to a 11 mm dovetail.

Yes there are 11mm base plates for the EAW Schwenkmontage.
    I dont know what it would cost though, there are cheaper versions. I think we charged about 1000 euros for a set and to fit them haha but you can get them much cheaper than that. ive seen the adapter plates for about 60 euros.

tudderone wrote: »
    Magnets aren't brilliant for holding things, even magnetic things designed to hold things. I have a large (18"x6") magnet chuck on the Surface grinder, and even then the odd time something scoots off it under load. The problem is when magnets get a bump, they move.

If you had a sort of a socket and plug set up. With a magnet at the bottom of one of them it might work. A ring with something like a 10 mm dowel shape and drop it into a socket of some sort. It would have to fit very well though. There would be no lateral movement and the magnet would prevent it from coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

If you had a sort of a socket and plug set up. With a magnet at the bottom of one of them it might work. A ring with something like a 10 mm dowel shape and drop it into a socket of some sort. It would have to fit very well though. There would be no lateral movement and the magnet would prevent it from coming up.

Most scopes mounts, the swing off type are like that already. Its the interaction between the scope rings and the bases attached to the action of the rifle that locate the scope, its then just a cross screw or cam or clamp that hold it together. The extra 2 minutes you would save swapping scopes, between a magnetic set up and a screw set would not make much odds. Its a solution looking for a problem that doesn't really exist.

I suppose. Might be cheaper to produce .

Advertisement