Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTSE is uninvestable due to energy

• 13-03-2020 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

The absolute decimation of energy stocks has laid bare how badly things look going forward for Europe's premiere equity market, BP and Shell are at twenty year lows, much lower than the lows of 2008 and 2009

Energy is becoming less and less important to investment managers, when you add in the heavy weighting of financials in the FTSE 100, even the likes of the city of London investment Trust is looking untouchable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

I'm not given to conspiracy theories but I do sense there'll be financial payback for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm not given to conspiracy theories but I do sense there'll be financial payback for Brexit.

More to do with the future changes which will be felt as a result of climate change policy

Energy companies up until the tech boom of the mid nineties onwards were always the world's largest companies, beit ExxonMobil in the usa or shell in Europe, energy is relatively unimportant today in the U. S market, it's hugely important in the FTSE and that's the problem

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You don’t need any conspiracy theories! Without access to the EU, London looses it’s advantage over NY or Singapore. There is about $50b of corporate debt to be refinanced over the next 5 to 7 years. Much of it used to go via London but not this time, there is no point in going to London, when you’re going to have to go to Paris or Frankfurt as well.

And now that the EU has ruled that Irish qualifications held by British citizens, resident in the UK will not be recognized, they’ll struggle to even draft and submit basic documentation in support of such work.

You can expect that in the end all the high risk silly bugger stuff will end up there because no one else wants it and it will be the only stuff willing to go there. A great future surprise for the British tax payer!

Now if you could identify a REIT with a large concentration of office property in Paris or London it might do very well at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think the energy companies are great value at the moment, the oil price war between the Saudis and the Russians won't go on forever and as soon as there's a whiff of compromise (which there always is in the end) they'll rocket straight back up.

I think the energy companies are great value at the moment, the oil price war between the Saudis and the Russians won't go on forever and as soon as there's a whiff of compromise (which there always is in the end) they'll rocket straight back up.

I expect them to regain ground but doubt they gain anymore than other sectors, even in "normal" times this past decade, they have been pretty terrible

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I expect them to regain ground but doubt they gain anymore than other sectors, even in "normal" times this past decade, they have been pretty terrible

Look at Shell's stock price over the past 6 months.

Look at Shell's stock price over the past 6 months.

I have, a horror show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just posted same in another thread. The Saudis/Putin could sort out their quarrel in an instant and bump the price of those companies (Apache down from $24 to $8 recently is my choice). Longer term, Oil is a problem obviously but should be a positive in the next year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I'd be more concerned about their herd approach. If they stick with that the UK will be a basket case. And possibly cut off from the rest of the world.

Shell and BP up over 20% today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement