Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging

• 14-03-2020 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Joyce’s in atherny, oranmore, knocknacarra and father griffin road have increase their prices on every day essential item. This is not a simple supply and demand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Can you give any more examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Joyce’s in atherny, oranmore, knocknacarra and father griffin road have increase their prices on every day essential item. This is not a simple supply and demand. Selling 100mls bottles of hand sanitizer for €15

Is this confirmed or a rumour? Absolutely grotesque if true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

grbear wrote: »
    Is this confirmed or a rumour? Absolutely grotesque if true.

Confirmed unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Check out Knocknacarra residents Facebook page for details and pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Supply and demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭poppers

there probably is gouging going on but heard from a pharmacist the whole sale price to them has exploded for sanatizer. he used to sell for €4.75 for 500ml its now costing him €14 to buy it, hasnt stocked it since just getting enough for staff.

bizidea wrote: »
    Supply and demand

It’s nothing to do with supply and demand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Joyce’s in atherny, oranmore, knocknacarra and father griffin road have increase their prices on every day essential item. This is not a simple supply and demand.

Just pop in and remind them that this won’t last and that you won’t be shopping there again. If enough people do this it might make the gougers rethink. Appalling that people are out to make money from this, especially as a lot of people will be worse off financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why do people always blame the end of the supply chain.

Do people not engage their brains?

Hand sanitizer from the manufacturer and distributors has rocketed in price.

A month ago I could get a 5l tub for €18+vat
    On Friday the hygiene supply company I use was charging €56+ vat

He showed me his invoice - he was being charged €48+ vat. Up from €11.25+vat two months ago.

But sure it's easy for fools to blame the retailer.

Think, just effing Think before engaging the mouth

Confirmed unfortunately

Posting a rumor and then saying "confirmed" is not confirmation

What I'm saying is, pics or gtfo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you think supply and demand means?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

of course it is there is a big demand so the price has risen.obviously the retailer is unable to buy hand sanitizer at the same price they were 6 weeks ago so they are unable to sell at the same price.supply and demand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

westgolf wrote: »
    Check out Knocknacarra residents Facebook page for details and pictures.

Distinct lack of both on there, one picture of wine with a comparison to Dunnes price and an example of Dunnes increasing the price of a particular cheese is all I can see. I think Dacor's request for pics stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Darc19 wrote: »

He showed me his invoice - he was being charged €48+ vat. Up from €11.25+vat two months ago.

Where can you get a 5L tub for 56+VAT ?
    I think lots of people would be happy to buy something like that to refill pocket sized bottles for themselves, friends, families and employees. We all have a little bottle somewhere.

I'd pay 20 euro for a L if a few people wanted to share too.

Darc19 wrote: »

Have you any pics or gtfo for any of this?
    If anyone wants confirmation tip down to Joyce’s

Hand sanatiser spray 50ml 7 euro in centra salthill..
    I asked the young fella how much it was and he had the decency to apologise.
    Needless to say I didn't purchase it and will avoid centra if I can in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hand sanatiser spray 50ml 7 euro in centra salthill..
    I asked the young fella how much it was and he had the decency to apologise.
    Needless to say I didn't purchase it and will avoid centra if I can in the future

If you read the thread you'll see it is suppliers putting the charge up. Don't avoid your local shop over it, they need you right now too.

If you read the thread you'll see it is suppliers putting the charge up. Don't avoid your local shop over it, they need you right now too.

I did read it cheers.
    Absolutely the suppliers, but I don't think for one minute the local shop isn't making a sweet buck out of this too. Come on? Do you really think they're not making a nice profit?

That is what I was hinting at; what else is gone up in price. I reckon Joyce’s are just paying more and passing the price on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,813 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

sgthighway wrote: »
    That is what I was hinting at; what else is gone up in price. I reckon Joyce’s are just paying more and passing the price on.

Then they should explain it.

• Advertisement

Then the shops should refuse to buy it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Maybe the price of items should increase exponentially the more units of something you buy. That would help sort out the idiot panic buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Discodog wrote: »

Then you'll have people complaining they don't have x product. It's people's fault that the prices have increased not the shops or suppliers, who needs 200 rolls of bog roll? And how much of the food that's been swept from the shelves will end up in the bin next week?

Discodog wrote: »
    Is this not where the term supply and demand comes in? If people want it they will buy it. If you don’t sell it they go elsewhere and buy it and don’t come back.

Price increase for this is not unique to Joyce’s or Galway City. It’s hard to get as big businesses are buying it for their employees.

I think some people are making their own with Isopropyl Alcohol.

5uspect wrote: »
    Maybe the price of items should increase exponentially the more units of something you buy. That would help sort out the idiot panic buyers.

Is panic buying still happening ?

sgthighway wrote: »
    Is this not where the term supply and demand comes in? If people want it they will buy it. If you don’t sell it they go elsewhere and buy it and don’t come back.

Price increase for this is not unique to Joyce’s or Galway City. It’s hard to get as big businesses are buying it for their employees.

I think some people are making their own with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Absolutely. It's no different to the way Galway hotels bump the rates for race week etc. But if I were the shop I would put a sign, next to the product, explaining the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Schools and businesses closing down. People worried for their health and income.

No, it is not the same as price increases for race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If the supplier puts the price up so will the retailer, if you don't like that shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

It's price gouging plain and simple and both supplier and retailers are at it. The practice is both highly exploitive and hugely unethical in this crisis moment. It's also illegal in some US States. Maybe one for Catherine Connolly to legislate for in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

If the supplier puts the price up so will the retailer, if you don't like that shop elsewhere.

or make it yourself, plenty of easy ways to make sanitizer.

but joyce's is dodge, stopped going their years ago. Need to check the receipt when you leave and anything you pick up need to check the date on everything especially anything on offer including alcohol. Not to mention its numerous health violations a while back, it may have somewhat improved since but won't go there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement