Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brownells

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Doubt they have changed anything that quick...Although I am getting the feeling Germany is a one man band operation as well.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Ok news back from Brownells Germany.
    After offering me a dealership account,:eek:
    I got this back.

They will set up an account for me personally,
    Send them contact details, phone,email etc.
    Put in the parts numbers that you want.
    Got to PAY IN ADVANCE for parts tho,they cant do credit card or online orderings for us here. Need an IBAN number off them

Soo.
    This means folks,you will have to contact Brownells Germany yourselves and arrange an account and give them your parts order numbers and pay by bank transfer.
    Also,dont think you can order all the stuff either.

If you see on the German website "erwerbschein or "EWB" Firearms liscense required or "verkauf nuer an Buschenmacher"Only for sale to a gunsmith*
    Dont bother ordering until I/we figure out how that one will work with German gun laws.
    So it looks like we havea toehold in alternatives.

*Certain work on a firearm in Germany can only be carried out by a qualified gunsmith.Rule of thumb anything that makes metal shavings,drilling,or heating or with pressure bearing parts,or now with EU legislation uppers or possibly lowers too that need to be marked by a gunsmith

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I got this back.

Got to PAY IN ADVANCE for parts tho,they cant do credit card or online orderings for us here. Need an IBAN number off them

Soo.
    This means folks,you will have to contact Brownells Germany yourselves and arrange an account and give them your parts order numbers and pay by bank transfer.

If you see on the German website "erwerbschein or "EWB" Firearms liscense required or "verkauf nuer an Buschenmacher"Only for sale to a gunsmith*
    Dont bother ordering until I/we figure out how that one will work with German gun laws.

*Certain work on a firearm in Germany can only be carried out by a qualified gunsmith.Rule of thumb anything that makes metal shavings,drilling,or heating or with pressure bearing parts,or now with EU legislation uppers or possibly lowers too that need to be marked by a gunsmith

Become a dealer and take orders from us, make a nice bit of profit and save us all hassle :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Seems much more complicated. Would ordering from the UK via parcel motel or addresspal not be easier and less complicated.

What is the price comparison between the German site and the UK for the exact same parts? IOW is the saving so great that going through the German site is worth it?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I got this back.

Soo.

I’ve ordered from Triebel and they needed the same payment funny stuff. I had to give them my credit card info split between two emails (they didn’t seem to have the facility to use a world pay thingy. I think the same with a separate one. I had to transfer money to their IBAn and then they shipped.... not very trustworthy. Are our fellow Europeans (lol) but great customer service..very good at responding to coms.

• Advertisement

dc99 wrote: »
    I had to transfer money to their IBAn and then they shipped.... not very trustworthy. Are our fellow Europeans (lol) but great customer service..very good at responding to coms.
    Must be a "European" thing. I had to do this for the grips i bought from Hogue. Same when i bought a tuning kit for my jeep a few years back. Its odd they don't accept or use debit/credit cards.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Was in Holland recently and many bars/restaurants would not accept foreign debit or credit cards.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

LOL I spnt about an hour on a Sunday in Italy, trying to find an open fuel station to fill the tank of a hire car up before i returned it...none of the unmanned ones would take a forign credit card... nearly missed the flight home over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

What about paypal ? I have bought allsorts with it over the years, from America and the UK, never from Europe. Its simple and you have a bit of protection if it all goes smelly.

tudderone wrote: »
    What about paypal ? I have bought allsorts with it over the years, from America and the UK, never from Europe. Its simple and you have a bit of protection if it all goes smelly.

Paypal is anti gun ownership as a policy.So if they wanted to be cnutty about it they could refuse your payment for firearms and components.They also will not accept any commercial firearms busisness.
    I’ve ordered from Triebel and they needed the same payment funny stuff. I had to give them my credit card info split between two emails (they didn’t seem to have the facility to use a world pay thingy. I think the same with a separate one. I had to transfer money to their IBAn and then they shipped.... not very trustworthy. Are our fellow Europeans (lol) but great customer service..very good at responding to coms.

Iv'e talked f2f with Katja Triebel about this. Its simply busisness and not being japped by the credit card companies or by credit card fraud.Notably from certain Southern and Eastern countries fraudsters.

Seems much more complicated. Would ordering from the UK via parcel motel or addresspal not be easier and less complicated.

What is the price comparison between the German site and the UK for the exact same parts? IOW is the saving so great that going through the German site is worth it?

It would depend more on shipping costs than the parts prices and parts availability under UK law for certain guns,and for how long that loophole of NI stays open post Brexit.As well as STG/Euro exchange.

But for shts&giggles I di a comparison on an 8 shot Mossberg shotgun tube
    Brownells UK £61.15 [69.90 euro] Brownells Germany 69.90 euro

Availability. Brownells UK US ITAR item,so proably alot of problems and wont ship to ship to IRL direct. So NI route

Brownells Germany ITAR as well but will ship direct[more than likely as untried yet] As Ireland is an end user cert country,and by non cc purchase you have an established paper trail to follow.

IOW you arent saving on the parts themselves as the prices seem to be the same in Europe. Delivery time seems to be the same too from the US.
    So it is really down to shipping prices and who will give you the less hassle in your purchase.
    Considering our history with the UK,I'm kind of not surprised they look askence at anything firearms related being sold to Ireland.:P

Become a dealer and take orders from us, make a nice bit of profit and save us all hassle

Love to.But going by the paperwork they sent ,you need to be an established registerd gunsmith/dealer,and that I ain't or have any intent in becoming.

• Advertisement

dc99 wrote: »
    LOL I spnt about an hour on a Sunday in Italy, trying to find an open fuel station to fill the tank of a hire car up before i returned it...none of the unmanned ones would take a forign credit card... nearly missed the flight home over it...

LOL ,that brings back memories...But go to any street newpaper seller or tobacconist with a 500 or any big denomination Euro note,and they will break it for a pack of cigs or the paper no problem!:eek::D

Best lot are the money changers and bauble sellers outside the Almighty's HQ on Earth. [AKA The Vatican] Think his son might be a bit cross,when he gets back and see the state of his dads house,going by the last time he had to clean it up .

Unlike OUR banks which almost go into meltdown on the sight of such being presented,and insist it is lodged in your account,with an utterly ILLEGAL handling fee to break it into smaller denominations:mad:

Love to.But going by the paperwork they sent ,you need to be an established registerd gunsmith/dealer,and that I ain't or have any intent in becoming.

Therein lies the rub. I have known guys before getting into gun dealing and its not worth the trouble unless its in a serious way. I could imagine you would have a pain in your rump with chasing up orders, stuff being unavailable, lads getting pissy because its three months since they placed their order, all the carp you get when dealing with the public.

Thats not even before you have invested ridiculous amounts of time and money in dealing with the Dept of justice,the AGS,and your local council,to get each of them into the same hymn book,not to mind onto the same page and song! Before you even lay one cement block and trowel of cement its a FPITH that costs money.Only way I could see it being easy is buying some old guy out and his busisness when he retires and you tsake over.Starting fresh... No thanks.

Thats not even before you have invested ridiculous amounts of time and money in dealing with the Dept of justice,the AGS,and your local council,to get each of them into the same hymn book,not to mind onto the same page and song! Before you even lay one cement block and trowel of cement its a FPITH that costs money.Only way I could see it being easy is buying some old guy out and his busisness when he retires and you tsake over.Starting fresh... No thanks.

100%, plus at the end of it all, you'd earn more running a cafe on the corner, selling coffee and slices of cake. I wonder what the market would be for gun spares here ? 5% of sfa i would think.

But for shts&giggles I di a comparison on an 8 shot Mossberg shotgun tube
    Brownells UK £61.15 [69.90 euro] Brownells Germany 69.90 euro
    When i was looking for grips for my pistol (Hogue) the Irish ste had them listed for €25 which is 50% cheaper than from Hogue direct and the same ones in the UK were £39.95 so a good saving.
    Availability. Brownells UK US ITAR item,so proably alot of problems and wont ship to ship to IRL direct. So NI route
    Unless the saving was huge then the German route is more troublesome, imo. With the UK site you just order using your own debit/credit card and either parcel motel/addresspal and away you go. No need for banks, IBAN, etc.

Advertisement