Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona and coins, contactless, pay by phone

Options
  • 13-03-2020 6:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

There were a few good tips on Prime Time tonight.

Use your knuckles to press ATM and elevator buttons and doorbells.
    If someone hands you cash take it between your knuckles.

It's better to expose your knuckles because your unlikely to rub them in your eye, mouth or nose.

Ask visitors to wash their hands once they enter your house.

Coins are gonna be the worst I hope more people start using cards and contactless from now on. We were told yesterday by Centra that we should be washing our hands every hour of our shift and sanitizer every half hour. I see so many farmer lads, lorry drivers and mechanic lads who have the dirtyiest hands ever coming up to the till and you just want to say to there face "Are you f**king serious!?"

Mod - this spawned an interesting side discussion. Moved out from main thread on COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Coins are gonna be the worst I hope more people start using cards and contactless from now on. We were told yesterday by Centra that we should be washing our hands every hour of our shift and sanitizer every half hour. I see so many farmer lads, lorry drivers and mechanic lads who have the dirtyiest hands ever coming up to the till and you just want to say to there face "Are you f**king serious!?"

Ah sure them lads are immune to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yeah coins are the worst.
    Hopefully people will start using cards. It only makes sense. Maybe we should start some Facebook group and bombard people with these sort of practical things that would help the whole community if people would do them.

I've already encountered one person with a mild temperature (over 100 though) who was full of the "oh I'm fine, don't worry about me!" and not at all understanding "yeah you're fine but what about everyone else you meet? You have to stay at home even if you don't know what's wrong with you". It's very frustrating.

One person on Prime Time last night who was a behavioural psychologist also said that peer pressure and social shame are important in modulating behaviours. Pointing out to people that they need to wash their hands, that they are rubbing their nose every two mins etc is important, as hard as it would be to do for most of us. Another expert pointed out that the viral load in the nose is extremely high in the first days of infection even if people aren't sneezing, so touching that area really spreads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've seen people use their phones and looked into Google Pay a few weeks ago. AIG support it but BoI don't. Would be nice if this gave them the impetitus to implement it.

https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7352140

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

AIB have started charging for contactless payments only a cent per transaction, but my Revolut is gonna get used a lot more now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

AIB have started charging for contactless payments only a cent per transaction, but my Revolut is gonna get used a lot more now

other great benefit of Revolut + google pay on phone is that there is no 30 limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Can you wear disposable gloves and change them regularly? Also good as it stops you touching your face?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As mentioned above Revlout support Google Pay (and Fitbit wallet as well) another online bank that does Google Pay is N26 but be advised it's a bit trickier to load funds into that account.

Dough Bros have announced they are going take out only as they find it impossible to maintain social distance in the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

other great benefit of Revolut + google pay on phone is that there is no 30 limit

No 30 Euro limit with Apple Pay either. At least not worth AIB - other banks might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

No 30 euro limit on google pay. You just tap twice. Except with tesco for some reason.

jh79 wrote: »
    No 30 euro limit on google pay. You just tap twice.

I honestly never knew that

So I just tap as normal for a 50 eur purchase and tap again right after?

• Advertisement

Yeah, the phone will prompt you.

Retailer dependant but i've used it in a few pubs in town and even got cash back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

There are two limits for contacless.

30 is the first, and this is generally fixed and for unprotected transactions, like card taps etc.

The second limit is for protected payments like Google pay, where you need to unlock a device with pin or fingerprint.

There is an upper limit set by banks or Google, but shops (like tesco) can apply lower limits also.

You just need to tap once...

I paid for my Christmas shopping 2 years ago in supervalu with Google pay. Okay they had to call the manager as it was quite new and bill was over 250euro

ForestFire wrote: »
    There are two limits for contacless.

30 is the first, and this is generally fixed and for unprotected transactions, like card taps etc.

The second limit is for protected payments like Google pay, where you need to unlock a device with pin or fingerprint.

There is an upper limit set by banks or Google, but shops (like tesco) can apply lower limits also.

You just need to tap once...

I paid for my Christmas shopping 2 years ago in supervalu with Google pay. Okay they had to call the manager as it was quite new and bill was over 250euro

I've always had to tap twice for over 30 euro. Maybe that is retailer dependant too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I've always had to tap twice for over 30 euro. Maybe that is retailer dependant too?

Not sure, in supervalu tuam I pay weekly with phone and even in most garages never had issues over 50.

Only place I've had issues is tesco, to the point I sent them an email to complain, and they confirmed they impose there own lower limit.... The hassle of taking my card out of my wallet :-)

ForestFire wrote: »
    Not sure, in supervalu tuam I pay weekly with phone and even in most garages never had issues over 50.

Only place I've had issues is tesco, to the point I sent them an email to complain, and they confirmed they impose there own lower limit.... The hassle of taking my card out of my wallet :-)

Maybe, its the bank ? I'm with Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I have set up Revolut to auto-topup from my AIB account when it drops below €50. Paying for everything with my phone, havent touched money in a couple of weeks.

I also have to tap once if the payment is above 30. You just have to have your phone unlocked with your fingerprint/pin before you tap it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Changed their mind for a while.... https://jrnl.ie/5046159

No 30 euro limit on google pay. You just tap twice. Except with tesco for some reason.

Most places don’t let you do that because of uneducated staff. Nearly all in fact.

I’ve tapped well into the 100’s with Apple Pay. One tap same as if it was a 5er. Tesco is one exception their 30 euro limit applies to Apple/google pay too, another reason to avoid the horrible place.

I’ve never had an issue with a place stopping me tap with Apple Pay over 30 euro either and I do it all the time. Even tesco didn’t stop me ( I was tapping for a 150 euro bottle of whiskey) they just waited for it to fail and looked at me blankly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

What has contactless pay got to do with a Galway city form,. Should be moved to banking and pensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What has contactless pay got to do with a Galway city form,. Should be moved to banking and pensions

Because how people in Galway implement these measures affect all of us and the spread of disease locally.

Most of us will be grounded around here for the next few months without too many visitors and blowins. If we all started using contactless pay it would help limit spread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is now really the time to get annoyed by posts that are still relevant to most users? Way bigger issues at hand this week than posts folks.

Most places don’t let you do that because of uneducated staff. Nearly all in fact.

I regularly get told it doesn't work over 30 but i just say it is different with the phone and they let me do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Because how people in Galway implement these measures affect all of us and the spread of disease locally.

Most of us will be grounded around here for the next few months without too many visitors and blowins. If we all started using contactless pay it would help limit spread here.

Do you have such little faith that Galway people are unable to navigate to the banking or general advice thread!

Do you have such little faith that Galway people are unable to navigate to the banking or general advice thread!

I think you need to reassess your priorities

Advertisement