Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simple stuff from the US in Addresspal?

• 08-03-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    I found a set of after market pistol grips that I want on a US site, but they only ship to the US. I have a contact n Canada that can receive the package, but the vendor in question will only ship to a US address.

I've read before that An Post Address pal has a problem with gun parts - or is that not totally true (like these are grips, not "really" a gun part..).

Anyone have any light to shed on this situation? Like is there a Canadian version of Parcel Motel? Or will Address pal ship them onto me if I order and use my address pal account??

Or is there another type of Addresspal in the US I can use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

You could chance it maybe. I ordered a few bits from a trapping supply store in the US and part of that order was some tanning solution, and got it sent to Addresspal. Was only after I ordered that I noticed that Addresspal do not allow any liquids what so ever. Not even water. Well at that stage my parcel was already on it's way to them with all the items labelled on the front. I recieved my order without any problems, so maybe I was one of the lucky ones, or maybe they aint as strict as it says on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There are a few forwarding agencies in the US and I use www.shipito.com. They ban gun parts but to be honest they are not too strict on gun accessories. If you can keep the package under 4 lbs you can use USPS economy which arrives via the Post Office. I would avoid couriers as they are ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

recipio wrote: »
    There are a few forwarding agencies in the US and I use www.shipito.com. They ban gun parts but to be honest they are not too strict on gun accessories. If you can keep the package under 4 lbs you can use USPS economy which arrives via the Post Office. I would avoid couriers as they are ridiculously expensive.

Well it will be well under 4lb - its only two sets of grips....
    You used them recently? for Gun accessories?

I was thinking of taking the chance with address pal...but the amount of time I've invested in trying to get stuff from the US (legally) is amazing (twice my package from Tandemkross went missing - once in the UK and once it didn't even leave the US. I'll look at this crowd..

I had a look at that crowd, they are like the rest - firearm parts etc. I'd be better of taking a chance with Address pal me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

https://www.gibraltar-arms.com/
    I got a stock sent from these guys a few years back, it will cost you mind you they are not cheap.
    They will buy what you want and export to you,
    Do no harm to get a quote from them, be interesting to see how much extra it costs.

• Advertisement

Wadi14 wrote: »
    I got a stock sent from these guys a few years back, it will cost you mind you they are not cheap.
    Do no harm to get a quote from them, be interesting to see how much extra it costs.

Interesting - does it have to be a firearm or will they do simple things like grips? (I've had a longing for the VQ LLV-4 pistol upper for a while now...wonder how much....)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

anything it was a stock I got sent as same as you seller would not send , Michelle if she is still working there bought it and sent it over for a small well not so small fee lol. But I wanted it and I have it.
    Have you tried Brownells in Germany for the LLV

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BTW ,the ITAR laws changed last week,it is now Dept of Commerce handling it rather than State dept.and the US manufactuers haven't got any advice yet on new procedures as to shipping outside CONUS.So heres hoping it becomes abit easier.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I heard about that coming up - didn't realise it happened last week.. might be interesting... Is there any place on the intenet that would let us know about the guidance to retailers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

US dept of commerce site?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SVI40

I ordered some A-Zoom 22 snap caps last week.

Address Pal stopped them and won't ship them. Issue is that TSA will scan the package at the airport, and may send the whole container back to address pal.

Ah that makes a bit of sense...f**kers

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    US dept of commerce site?

Now its just how long that trickles down to the vendors...

I Think i got sorted. Stuff is via Texas I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

dc99 wrote: »
    I had a look at that crowd, they are like the rest - firearm parts etc. I'd be better of taking a chance with Address pal me thinks.

In general you are better off buying from an EU country. How does Address pal work from the US ? I thought they gave a UK address to access online buying in Europe ?
    I kinda gave up on US purchases as the freight was just too high. However, the Yanks love to sell and I had two scopes sent over directly just by asking the retailer. You are always at risk of having the Customs people open the package but somehow they don't seem to bother too much with USPS packages so I stick with them.

In general you are better off buying from an EU country. How does Address pal work from the US ? I thought they gave a UK address to access online buying in Europe ?
    I kinda gave up on US purchases as the freight was just too high. However, the Yanks love to sell and I had two scopes sent over directly just by asking the retailer. You are always at risk of having the Customs people open the package but somehow they don't seem to bother too much with USPS packages so I stick with them.

I would normally look to the EU for stuff, but nobody seems to stock the grips I want ..so the US is all thats left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I kinda gave up on US purchases as the freight was just too high.
    My red dot sight was only $200 in the states. With the exchange that is about €185. Over €100 less than anywhere here and much more if you factor in shipping.

Contacted each vendor and they would ship so all was good. I was told shipping would be calculated at checkout. I tried four sites and the cheapest shipping charge was $130. Meaning at the cheapest it worked out the same as buying here. As a local dealer is always my preferred option (for guarantee, problems, etc) i went that route.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

dc99 wrote: »
    I Think i got sorted. Stuff is via Texas I hope

Too early to know or did you get sorted?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Yes seems to be sorted paid via paypal, friend of my Sons in Texas.

I just had to wait 2 to 5 weeks for production :-) as all timber grips are made to order.. But very friendly communications (they would not know I’m where i am unless they looked behind the curtain of email *the beauty of Gmail).

So I’m in no real rush anyway. The grips are super rosewood ($38)....look beautiful on the web site - in case they are not very functional i have a set of G10 grips ($25) on order from them as well...Lol.
    So no real help to you guys.

I am not chancing AddressPal etc. Not cause its a lot of money, but because the chance it will work is what 50/50? And I’ve wasted too much time on waiting for stuff...including importing of firearms.

Good news so.

I seen the grips and they look great. Had a stock years back made from Rosewood. The guy that made it said it's one of the nicest timbers to use but also one of the toughest to work with.

You're right about address pal. It's handy but the hassle, and coming from someone that has spent the last 12 weeks waiting on stuff, of waiting and not getting it then having to order again is a PITA.

Delighted you got sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Cz455syn

Wadi14 wrote: »

+1 for Michelle at Gibraltar Arms. I found her a pleasure to deal with and kept me updated throughout the process. The fees caught me a bit to be fair but she got me what I wanted when I couldn’t get it anywhere else.

Don’t use addresspal for firearm accessories! The reason I had to use Gibraltar Arms service is because addresspal kept my grips in the US as they would not forward firearm parts or accessories and didn’t have a return service. After many emails i had to arrange to get the grips collected from addresspal and have them returned to the store I bought them. Needless to say the charges for shipping and restocking fees didn’t make it worth my while so I lost the price of the grips.

Advertisement