Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Wackoo7 wrote: »
    If an allowance is 1 litre in total then why is one not allowed to use a bag that holds that amount in smaller sizes. It's ludricous, they are contradicting their own rules

You’re nitpicking. Your liquids and gels have to be in containers of up to 100ml. Those containers have to fit into a 1 litre clear, ziplock plastic bag, which must close. Anything over and above isn’t allowed. It’s very doable with a bit of application.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

20x20x5 makes two litres.

My point was in relation to the op insisting they should be able to bring a larger bag than 20x20 to fit one litre of liquids

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Wackoo7 wrote: »
    If an allowance is 1 litre in total then why is one not allowed to use a bag that holds that amount in smaller sizes. It's ludricous, they are contradicting their own rules

The rule has been in place since 2006. Just because you can't grasp it in 2020 isn't going to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It's only our little Irish nanny state that the plastic bag rules apply.

And I've often used more than 1 bag and nothing was said. Often had little bottles falling out of it too (ie it wouldn't close)

and nothing was said.

As long as you have your liquids seperated from your normal luggage it's fine.

The world isn't going to end if the bag won't close and it's not 'exactly' 1 L.

It's only our little Irish nanny state that the plastic bag rules apply.

Not remotely true!

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

https://www.britishairways.com/jba/ba/fi_FI/baggage/banned_baggag.html

And plenty more if I had the time and inclination to look. Just because you got away with once in Ireland does not mean you will get away with again in Ireland or anywhere else apart from airports with the new technology like Schiphol or rare countries that don't enforce the liquid rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

blackbox wrote: »
    The security operative in Cork is the one who was doing his job properly.

It's not open to interpretation.

(Whether the rules are effective is another matter!)

That may well be the case but it came across as pedantic, she wasn't able to close the last 3cm of the bag but made a big deal about it. I fly 4 or 5 times a year, often with only cabin baggage so I'm well aware of the rules, I don't want to boast but I'm one of those super organised people who arrive at an airport with by belt off and in my bag, wallet, watch, loose change in my jacket pocket that goes in the tray. I wear footwear that will be easy to get off if required.
    In the 14 /15 years since these liquid rules were put in place not once have I had to surrender an item in a situation like this. I made a point of take only what I needed, if she took the trouble she would have seen many were only half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seamai wrote: »
    everything into one of the official bags which then wouldn't close (there was probably only 500-600ml of liquid combined

like I said there was no more than 600ml in the bag.
    if she took the trouble she would have seen many were only half full.

Can I ask how you came to the figures of "probably only" 500 or 600ml?

If the bag was stuffed to overflow I can assume that it contained bottles of various sizes, 150ml, 175ml etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Can I ask how you came to the figures of "probably only" 500 or 600ml?

If the bag was stuffed to overflow I can assume that it contained bottles of various sizes, 150ml, 175ml etc?

None of the bottles were bigger than 100ml when full, there were 7 bottles, plus a 50ml tube of toothpaste and half a 75 ml tin of hair wax.
    Only one of the bottles was full and that was 50ml of hand sanitizer. Everything else was only half full. I know that must all sound incredibly anal and make me sound sound like I'm somewhere on the spectrum but that's the way I am, (or a question in a maths exam), I like to do some pre travel checking as it avoids any nasty surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

None of the bottles were bigger than 100ml when full, there were 7 bottles, plus a 50ml tube of toothpaste and half a 75 ml tin of hair wax.
    Only one of the bottles was full and that was 50ml of hand sanitizer. Everything else was only half full. I know that must all sound incredibly anal and make me sound sound like I'm somewhere on the spectrum but that's the way I am, (or a question in a maths exam), I like to do some pre travel checking as it avoids any nasty surprises.

Ah ok, though no matter what and as you know, only the bag provided must be used and be able to be sealed, anything outside that will only cause you hassle, and delays not only to you, but to others behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Guys as someone who flys regularly. The volumetric capacity of the bag is the limit and you are allowed one per person. It is not one litre of actual liquid is the limit. Same globally and not just in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

I have to say as someone who flies fairly frequently I didn’t realise this. I’ve never done it but I honestly did think (obviously incorrectly!)that you could take 10 100 ml bottles of liquid provided they fitted into the plastic bag.

• Seamai wrote: »

It’s the size of the bottles, not of their contents that counts. You’re given the dimensions of the acceptable bag. It has to close. So, if you have 20 X 100 ml bottles that are only half full, unless you can fit the 20 of them into the bag, you’re going to have to dispose of most. It’s up to you to prioritise what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

If a person has less than 100mls in their bottles, why not decant into smaller ones and create more space in the bag? I save a variety of plastic containers for this exact purpose. I've even gone as far as spooning some lip gloss into a pill bag!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I'll be going to Los Angeles in around June and the flight is 11hrs long. I hate not being able to sleep in an enclosed space so I wanted to travel with two to three packs of Nurofen Plus and take them which in the past has helped me sleep wonders.

I've heard though that even if it is OTC here in Ireland, the DEA in the States schedules codeine to the same level as some other narcotic drugs which means being in possession of codeine medication without any prescription is a serious offense.

My friends though have travelled many times with Nurofen Plus many times and they weren't stopped. So what's the story with it? Is it legal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The recommended dose for Nurofen Plus in 11 hours would be 6 tablets tops. I’m sure that taking a packet of Nurofen Plus in your carry on bag isn’t going to cause you any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Two or three packs seem a lot just to sleep on two flights but hey I'm no doctor.

I don't know the answer to your questions above but thought I'd suggest getting a few sleeping tablets or Valium from your own doctor for the flights. This way you they will be prescribed by a doctor & perfectly legal

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I can't sleep on anything that moves, I've never taken anything to try counteract it, I just deal with it as best as I can, and collapse at my destination, surely there's no need for that amount of medication

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

That medication requires a subscription in the US, and you could face penalties at the border entry point if you didn't declare.

Guidelines for bringing medications are here:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/5-tips-traveling-us-medications

You can always get a doctor's prescription here before you go to cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Realistically OP, if you’re flying from Dublin, your hand luggage won’t be checked by customs officials at pre-clearance

And if they are, just say you’d no idea it wasn’t allowed and they’ll just confiscate them.

Now I’d be bringing one pack only just to be super safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

My friends though have travelled many times with Nurofen Plus many times and they weren't stopped.

Your meaning being that they were not caught, or that they declared them and law enforcement were not bothered?

Tell the truth Mr F, you just fancy being able to masturbate into the Cara magazine with an adequate precedent, isn't it?

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    Your meaning being that they were not caught, or that they declared them and law enforcement were not bothered?

Tell the truth Mr F, you just fancy being able to masturbate into the Cara magazine with an adequate precedent, isn't it?

Weren't stopped by border guards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

OP, I am finding it hard to tell if you are authentic or not, particularly considering a lot of your other threads. Even suggesting taking 2-3 packs of Nurofen plus, just to sleep on a flight?

skallywag wrote: »
    OP, I am finding it hard to tell if you are authentic or not, particularly considering a lot of your other threads. Even suggesting taking 2-3 packs of Nurofen plus, just to sleep on a flight?

Well it is a long flight in all fairness. I hate not being able to sleep and codeine plus promethazine works well for me.

Now, I wouldn't take two to three at once. I'd leave some for Los Angeles if I can get them through customs.

I'd take 24 tablets max as codeine has a ceiling dose and doesnt offer any analgesic relief above 400mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone know where I might pick up a Ryanair compliant cabin bag, 40x20x25cm?

I need to buy it retail tomorrow as haven't time for online delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You’ll probably get them in penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

was just coming on to ask the same question! Forgive me, as Im so bad with gauging sizes, is this like a handbag size, can you put any clothes in? I was just about to book a flight to London, delighted at the price but then realised in reality you'd need to purchase the 10kg probably....

If you've time order the cabin max one from Amazon, you'll be amazed at how much you can fit in it. I had more than enough room for a long weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I’ve noticed since the pandemic that the likes of Ryanair and Aer Lingus have completely stopped checking bags at the gate. Seems the days of the yellow stickers are gone. Am I being a mug paying extra to bring a 10kg bag onboard if they aren’t even enforcing it anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't think you'd get away with the "small, under seat, one bag" rule if you had a10kg bag or case with you. (Although maybe you would, I'd love if someone would try it and then we'd know!)

But equally I haven't seen anyone checking bag sizes for a very long time, so buying a case that's the exactly right measurements to the cm seems unnecessary.

As long as your bag/case will fit in the overhead locker, anything seems to go these days.

I bring a 50l rucksack bag with me, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't fit in the cage they used to use, but I've never once been challenged.

Advertisement