Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Italy has the largest Chinese population in Europe outside of China, they also have the oldest population in Europe which probaly explains the problems they have. When the first case was diagnosed the patient had already infected lots of other people including health staff in the Hospital he went to and they in turn infected family and friends they did not know at that time what they were dealing with it was doing the rounds for a few weeks before it was realised what they were dealing with but it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yikes, so much for 2% death rate.

Testing rate affects this. Korea has a low death rate cos they're testing lots. We aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Taiwan have been on the ball since New year, and thus have only 40 something cases and 1 death.
    Learning from SARS, Taiwan also quickly implemented health checks on passengers from Wuhan in early January, well before it was understood that the virus could pass between humans.

Shows it is better to "over-" react early instead of dragging things out like in Europe.

I have created my own hand sanitiser from isopropyl alcohol mixed with aloe vera gel. I can use that when I can't get away to wash my hands, like walking around town and touching door handles etc.
    Still working on proportions, now it's crazy strong, maybe 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Taiwan have been on the ball since New year, and thus have only 40 something cases and 1 death.

Shows it is better to "over-" react early instead of dragging things out like in Europe.

Maybe. Their people are still not immune. Their economy has been affected fot two months longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why are we taking about cancelling small gatherings and the Uk aren’t even considering large evenings with 10’s of thousands of people.

If something like the ring road hearing gets cancelled then surly all workplaces will also have to be closed, churches closed etc.

The UK also voted to leave the EU. Johnson was on morning television suggesting just letting the virus spread as a potential strategy.

ES0gvs-XsAAgB-X?format=jpg&name=large

Declan Varley actually made the same point as me and shared that the hearing is pretty full today.

If you want to compare to other countries. France was banning any events with more than 5k people last week, lowered it to 1k people this week. This is all while still in the containment phase. The delay phase means stopping all unnecessary public events. Italy and Madrid are already there. Parts of China were already there.

Harris stated they will be reassessing public events on Friday. If they follow others, they'll likely suggest stopping events with more than 1k people as the next step and then we get to delay phase. If reports are to be believed, schools could be closing sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The UK also voted to leave the EU. Johnson was on morning television suggesting just letting the virus spread as a potential strategy.

ES0gvs-XsAAgB-X?format=jpg&name=large

Declan Varley actually made the same point as me and shared that the hearing is pretty full today.

If you want to compare to other countries. France was banning any events with more than 5k people last week, lowered it to 1k people this week. This is all while still in the containment phase. The delay phase means stopping all unnecessary public events. Italy and Madrid are already there. Parts of China were already there.

Harris stated they will be reassessing public events on Friday. If they follow others, they'll likely suggest stopping events with more than 1k people as the next step and then we get to delay phase. If reports are to be believed, schools could be closing sooner rather than later.

Complete madness has taken hold . Where will it all end. Extended closures at schools, work,businesses and events can only mean massive economic recession , abject misery for the population and severe general health and social issues. Who wants to be stuck at home under effective house arrest which is the next scenario for the general population, To what end given the low risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭timmyntc

youngrun wrote: »
    Complete madness has taken hold . Where will it all end. Extended closures at schools, work,businesses and events can only mean massive economic recession , abject misery for the population and severe general health and social issues. Who wants to be stuck at home under effective house arrest which is the next scenario for the general population, To what end given the low risk ?

It's only low risk IF all these measures are taken (Closures, restrictions, social distancing etc.)
    If they aren't, there is a very high risk as the majority of the country will contract the virus in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why are we taking about cancelling small gatherings and the Uk aren’t even considering large evenings with 10’s of thousands of people.

If something like the ring road hearing gets cancelled then surly all workplaces will also have to be closed, churches closed etc.

By next week pubs restaurants etc will be closed. I suspect they’ll announce school closures this week. The uk aren’t restricting large outdoor events yet but they will soon. Their government are asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cr-07

My wedding is in Galway on the 27th of March, what do people think the chances of this being cancelled by the hotel, HSE, etc are?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Difficult to carry soap and water around with you or have it at your desk at work etc for regular disinfecting everything you arrive back etc.

Also alcohol will kill the virus of that there is no doubt, you don’t see soap and water being used for disinfecting you see alcohol.

If you are out of reach of soap and water, wear thin rubber gloves, avoid touching your face then peel them off from the bottom and discard

Soap and water does the job. Ask HSE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

cr-07 wrote: »
    My wedding is in Galway on the 27th of March, what do people think the chances of this being cancelled by the hotel, HSE, etc are?

Oh no I'm so sorry. Terrible timing. I feel it will really be kicking off by then.

If it's any consolation mine was on days after 9/11 in the US so we were missing a large part of our irish/aussie contingent. Was sad we missed people, but it made everyone appreciate something good and celebrate all the more.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I be surprised if it goes ahead to be honest. Start looking at contingency plans just in case. I really hope it works out for you.

Very slim chance I would imagine, we will have around 1000 cases by then and gatherings like weddings won't be happening I don't think. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

cr-07, ring the hotel and have them mail you an answer about refund for cancellations etc.
    Note gurests might not be willing to travel to a gathering so maybe see if the whole thing should be postponed until summer.

Myself and herself have weddings in the next months which we have accepted before this whole mess. We'll see if things go ahead and if we decide to go or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Meant to be travelling to Toronto 1st of April, probably not going to happen at this stage :( Has there been a confirmed case in Galway?

MadYaker wrote: »
    By next week pubs restaurants etc will be closed. I suspect they’ll announce school closures this week. The uk aren’t restricting large outdoor events yet but they will soon. Their government are asleep at the wheel.

I find it very hard to believe pubs and restaurants will be close. You can't just discount the importance of the economy, businesses and jobs etc in all this.

We aren't even calling of GAA matches etc, there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example. Ive a hotel booked etc for a break around Paddy's day (in Ireland), I have no intention of cancelling as things stand.

I find it very hard to believe pubs and restaurants will be close. You can't just discount the importance of the economy, businesses and jobs etc in all this.

We aren't even calling of GAA matches etc, there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example.

I know it's hard to believe and if it does happen it won't be for very long. Number of cases double every 4 days that puts us on course for 1000 cases by the end of the month and then it starts to get really serious. Thats where Italy are now but realistically things can't be shut for more than a few weeks or the conomy will never recover. We might be ok for paddys day most of that stuff might not kick in until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Testing rate affects this. Korea has a low death rate cos they're testing lots. We aren't.

Korea's low death rate is acknowledged to be skewed and more attributable to the fact that it spread amoung a large religious cult whose average age was under 30 and a lot of cases resulted in that demographic. Death under 30 is rare everywhere.
    The Korean situation is no reason to take comfort unfortunately.

There's an interesting journal article on how long the virus can live on and remain transferable from surfaces below. It shows it's important to clean hands after you're handling things. It's worth baring in mind that its important to wipe down surfaces as well as wash hands too.
    Really excercise caution using ATMs etc.

On a helpful note bleach is very effective against this virus and it's cheap. Might be no harm to leave a cloth in a bowl of bleach/water mix in kitchens and bathrooms to wipe down taps and door handles at home and in work places.
    Bleach
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a diluted bleach solution (⅓ cup bleach per 1 gallon of water or 4 teaspoons bleach per 1 quart of water) for virus disinfection. Wear gloves while using bleach, and never mix it with anything except water. (The only exception is when doing laundry with detergent.)

“Bleach works great against viruses,” Sachleben says. Just don’t keep the solution for longer than a few days because bleach will degrade certain plastic containers.

We found that viable virus could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Ciaran Cannon TD confirmed today that there are 4 cases in Kinvara. People in Kinvara has been aware of this for a number of days.
    Richard Joyce GP in Gort has been calling for all schools in S. Galway to close immediately. He has suggested that parents act unilaterally if the DOE does not.
    Richard Joyce is very well respected and I think parents will act on his advice.

EDIT: I've added attachments of same
    Hopefully I've added the attachments correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I thought there was a cluster of confirmed 5 cases there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There was a popular road run on in Kinvarra last weekend. Could be a big spread from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Just announced now that a woman in the east of the country has died. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

zell12 wrote: »
    I thought there was a cluster of confirmed 5 cases there?

***Speculation/Opinion on my part*****
    I suspect there is a delay between people being confirmed at an individual level and them then appearing on an official HSE list
    *******End speculation**************

Ciaran Cannon confirmed earlier today that officially it was 4 (I've screen shot in original edited post)

Ciaran Cannon TD confirmed today that there are 4 cases in Kinvara. People in Kinvara has been aware of this for a number of days.
    Richard Joyce GP in Gort has been calling for all schools in S. Galway to close immediately. He has suggested that parents act unilaterally if the DOE does not.
    Richard Joyce is very well respected and I think parents will act on his advice.

EDIT: I've added attachments of same
    Hopefully I've added the attachments correctly

Lets hope hes taken seriously, this waiting around until we hit what everyone is calling an inevitable disaster is ridiculous. If the government won't be proactive I hope the people will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

We aren't even calling of GAA matches etc, there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example. Ive a hotel booked etc for a break around Paddy's day (in Ireland), I have no intention of cancelling as things stand.

You find it hard to believe, are you finding Italy on complete lockdown hard to believe because believe it or it not it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Face masks
    &
    Handwash
    Available
    Sign on door in small newsagent in Woodquay. Unclear if they are charging or not, no price stated on door...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That would cover public gatherings of >500 people, I'd have thought (although, in fairness, I wouldn't know how many people usually attend). If I'm honest, I'm surprised the measures weren't stricter than this. 500 people outdoors and 100 indoors is a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I do my regular shop in Dunnes Knocknacarra today. Noticed that Aldi was jammed; cars parked along the road. Dunnes car park had spaces but very busy. I did my last shop in Aldi on monday and for the most part it was well stocked. Maybe things have drastically changed by now?

Couldn't believe the state of Dunnes today.

MNL6xaDl.jpgEwTLIXcl.jpg

Not quite beast from the east with lines going up the aisles but took 2x as long to get out. Runs on loo roll, canned goods, and pasta.

I asked the lady at the till and she said it's been pretty manic all week. The wait was on average 4-5 carts deep.

Advertisement